3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 1:29 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I get Premiere Elements 14 media off-line back on-line

shannonr38135684

The only change I made to the folder was when I opened a new project and started to save video clips into my first project folder location. I saved and closed the first project, reopened Premiere Elements and then started my second project. During the saving of video file from camcorder to first project folder location I realized my hard drive my not have enough space, I cancelled the download. I selected a different location to save the files. I added a few clips to the second project, went back to open Recent Project and opened it and saw media off-line.

I am not asked, "Where is file _____?"

• 1. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 14 media off-line back on-line
          A.T. Romano Level 7

shannonr

What computer operating system is involved?

You cannot move, delete, or rename files and folders that were imported into a project after the project has been saved closed. When you import your files into Premiere Elements, all you get are copies of the originals which remain at their hard drive save location. But, the project's copies need to trace back to those originals where they were when they were first imported into the project.

Your primary line of recovery from this situation is to use those "Where is the file _____?" messages, one by one, responding with the known location of the specifically named file being asked for. Under certain circumstances, responding to one or two of those messages will trigger the rest to reconnect automatically. But, for the most part, you have to give each message what it is asking for.

Also, you could click on Skip All in the first "Where is the file _______?" to open to the project workspace and gauge the situation from that angle (see what has the colorful media offline displays).

Please consider, and let us know the outcome. If you have questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 14 media off-line back on-line
            shannonr38135684 Level 1

I received help with Adobe Premiere Elements Help/Working with offline files which described the required steps similar to what you described, but your explanation is more detailed. Thank you.

I'm working on a Windows 7 OS.

• 3. Re: How do I get Premiere Elements 14 media off-line back on-line
              A.T. Romano Level 7

shannonr

Thanks for the reply.

Miscellaneous notes:

Media can also get disconnected from its project if you have stored the source media on an external hard drive and that drive malfunctions (maybe changed drive letter for some reason).

When archiving a project, please consider the program's File Menu/Project Archive and its Copy Project Option.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Archiving projects

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR