8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2015 5:58 PM by johnrellis

Updating specific metadata only

DouglasOB

Last year I got a Pentax DA20-40 lens but Lightroom did not recognize it on import, so all the photos showed up as "unknown lens"  (Although in Develop Mode if I click on Lens Profile it does correctly pick up a lens profile for the DA20-40 - go figure).  The more recent versions of Lightroom now recognize the lens on import, but it does/did not update the photos already imported.  I would like to update the LR catalogue to changes the photos from Unknown Lens to Pentax DA 20-40, but do not want to re-import the photos because I would lose any development setting that I have done.  And I can't find a way directly in LR to make these changes.  Sorry if this is FAQ but I did not see it.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Doug

• 1. Re: Updating specific metadata only
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi Doug,

Lens profile is included in EXIF data which cannot be added manually in Lightroom.

EXIF data is read directly from images only at the time of import and cannot be added later.

• 2. Re: Updating specific metadata only
            DouglasOB Level 1

How about export metadata to XMP, update with Exiftool and then re-import? 

I was hoping for a simple LR solution...  Note for LR 6.x+

Doug

• 3. Re: Updating specific metadata only
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

As Chetna said, unfortunately there is no way to change the lens info in Lightroom.  But you don't need to re-import.  Instead, select the photos, do Metadata > Save Metadata To File, change the lens with Exiftool, then do Metadata > Read Metadata From File.  Existing develop settings will be retained.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Updating specific metadata only
                DouglasOB Level 1

OK, thanks.  That is actually what I was trying to say when I said re-import (i.e., re-import metadata).

Only 1400+ photos, I will test first ;-)

Cheers,

Doug

• 5. Re: Updating specific metadata only
                  DouglasOB Level 1

I am looking into this.  When I used my Pentax K-01 camera the files were saved in DNG format.  LR does not export metadata to DNG files for this format but writes back to the DNG file.  Any ideas?

Doug

• 6. Re: Updating specific metadata only
                    When I used my Pentax K-01 camera the files were saved in DNG format.  LR does not export metadata to DNG files for this format but writes back to the DNG file.

I'm not sure what you're asking.  For camera manufacturers' raw files (e.g. .pef), Metadata > Save Metadata To File will write the metadata back to a .xmp sidecar  file and subsequently read from that.  For DNGs (and JPEGs and TIFFs), Metadata > Save Metadata To File will write the metadata back to the file itself. 

To change the lens, you'd use Metadata > Save Metadata To File.  Then you'd use Exiftool on the raw file (if there is no .xmp sidecar), on the .xmp sidecar (if it exists), or the DNG/JPEG/TIFF file.  Then you'd do Metadata > Read Metadata From File.

• 7. Re: Updating specific metadata only
                      DouglasOB Level 1

The catch is that with .xmp files I can update them all in a single command line since all the .xmp will be ones that I created from photos taken with my DA20-40 lens.  But with DNGs I need to know which were taken with that lens and not other lenses.  That makes it a bit more challenging and/or very tedious given that I am dealing with hundreds of photos.

Doug

• 8. Re: Updating specific metadata only

Exiftool can do conditional evaluation, only modifying files that meet particular conditions.  See the documentation for the "-if" argument: exiftool Application Documentation

Alternatively, you could use the Capture Time To Exif plugin, which despite its name, allows you to invoke Exiftool directly from within LR.  Using LR's filtering, you could select the photos with the wrong lens.  Then you could invoke the plugin on the selected photos, passing the Exiftool arguments that would replace the lens.

1 person found this helpful