8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2015 4:40 PM by trshaner

Jpg noise issues

Mark-Hazeldine

Hi. I've been using Lightroom since v4 and am now on the latest CC (6.3). I exported a set of images taken in low-light last night and discovered that my jpegs are displaying noticeably more noise than my RAW files in Lightroom (both Library and Develop modules).

I've checked this at 100% and other various zoom settings in both jpegs and RAW, and I've even disabled resizing and output sharpening in the export dialog and set the quality to 100% to make sure that those things aren't causing issues. Even with that stuff all turned off, I am still seeing a lot more noise (especially color noise) than Lightroom is showing me. I must say, I've not noticed this before, which is a little strange. Is there some kind of bug in the latest version or has it always been this way and I've just never noticed it? I'm using a variety of viewing applications on Windows 10 and they are all showing the issue.

My export settings are:

• Colorspace: AdobeRGB 1998
      • Quality: 100
      • Output sharpening: off
      • Resize to fit: off

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark

• 1. Re: Jpg noise issues
          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Mark,

Greetings!!!

Can you please share one sample image

Please share both raw  and jpeg screen shot.

Regards

Jitendra

• 2. Re: Jpg noise issues
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm using a variety of viewing applications on Windows 10

Are these color managed apps? Or are they set up with a sRGB default. Since you are using jpegs have you tried exporting with a sRGB profile and does that make any difference?

• 3. Re: Jpg noise issues
              Mark-Hazeldine Level 1

No they are not colour managed. I'm just using Photos, Windows Photo Viewer and Paint.Net.

I tried both AdobeRGB and sRGB, but they are both identically bad.

Below is a screenshot of Lightroom and Windows Photo Viewer side by side at 1:2. This image is pretty representative of the difference I am seeing with my own eyes on my monitor (zooming to 100% doesn't change anything).

jpegnoiseissue.jpg

Here's a Google Drive link to the full size screenshot, but you can even see it in this shrunk down inserted image:

Thanks, Mark

• 4. Re: Jpg noise issues
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think in Develop you need to zoom in 1:1 to see the noise. Then use the detail tab. Then export.

• 5. Re: Jpg noise issues
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is almost always caused by over-sharpening and/or insufficient Luminance noise reduction, which as mentions should only be adjusted at 1:1 Zoom view.

Re: Develop module & library module aren't matching

• 6. Re: Jpg noise issues
                    ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Mark-Hazeldine wrote:

No they are not colour managed. I'm just using Photos, Windows Photo Viewer and Paint.Net.

I tried both AdobeRGB and sRGB, but they are both identically bad.

Below is a screenshot of Lightroom and Windows Photo Viewer side by side at 1:2. This image is pretty representative of the difference I am seeing with my own eyes on my monitor (zooming to 100% doesn't change anything).

Here's a Google Drive link to the full size screenshot, but you can even see it in this shrunk down inserted image:

Thanks, Mark

Sometimes you need to work at the 100% zoom level to see the details of the noise reduction and sharpening. However, 50% zoom is a great way to judge the actual effects as 50% is much more representable for what your users will see.

In this case, it appears that you might be adding some (too much?) output sharpening in the Export dialog, which could be exaggerating any remaining noise in the image.

What are your Export settings?

• 7. Re: Jpg noise issues
                      Mark-Hazeldine Level 1

Hey all,

thanks for all the suggestions. I've now checked things again at 100% in Library, Develop and the Jpeg. What's happening is that at 100% they all look the same. At 1:2 and any other more zoomed out settings, the Library module and the Jpeg look the same, but the Develop module looks overly "smooth" (i.e. it gives the impression that the noise reduction is higher than it really is). Any ideas why the Develop module looks different to the Library module when zoomed out? It's kind of annoying!

Mark

• 8. Re: Jpg noise issues
                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is explained at the link in my reply #5 and . The Develop module uses a simple and fast "nearest neighbor" interpolation algorithm for creating the screen preview image. The Library module uses a more accurate (slower) Bicubic interpolation to create the Library previews. The Develop preview is only accurate at 1:1 Zoom view concerning the rendered noise and sharpening. At less than 1:1 Zoom view it may appear both less noisy and sharper.

To determine how Export images will appear review them in the Library module at less than 1:1 Zoom view, preferably using the pyramid zoom settings ( 1:2, 1:3, 1:4, 1:8, 1:16) and not Fit or Fill. This is the most accurate preview for images that will be resized in the Export module for prints (i.e. Resize to Fit) or viewed at less than full-size on screen. Just make sure to update the Library previews after editing images in the Develop module by selecting all images that have been edited and go to menu Library> Previews> Build Standard Previews.

More explanation at the two posts below: