4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2015 7:36 AM by A.T. Romano

No GPU acceleration

joem57192410 Level 1

I'm using Premiere Elements 14. When I try to pre-render a project the process is very slow. I was just using a template as a test with mostly still images. My GPU meter never registered any activity.

Whats worse is the CPU registers between 0 and 33% usage most of the time. It's really unacceptable behavior.  The video I'm pre-rendering is only 1min 20 seconds in duration. Yet, after roughly a minuet of rendering the process shows 3min 41 seconds required to complete my request.   Heres my computer specs.

XPS 8700

4th Generation Intel Core i7-4770 processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)

16GB RAM Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs EA - -

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 1.5GB GDDR5 EA - - Supporting   4 Displays

2TB Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6 .0 Gb/s   1 EACH –

1TB Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6 .0 Gb/s 2 EACH –

Windows 8, 64-bit, English EA

Premiere Elements Renders 14.png

When rendering the project the GPU remains at Zero.

The CPU hits 70% at times but that's the maximum. It rendered the 1080p video in about  1 1/2 to 2 min.

I don't know what to think at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: No GPU acceleration
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements does indeed use very little GPU in rendering your video. It's not designed to.

• 2. Re: No GPU acceleration
            A.T. Romano Level 7

joem

If you have Premiere Elements 13/13.1 or 14 on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 and the computer is using an Intel HD Graphics 2000 or newer video card/graphics card, you will get Hardware Acceleration (with the preference for that enabled). This Hardware Acceleration is supposed to extend to rendering, playback, and exporting.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13/13.1: Hardware Acceleration Preference

There were some GPU effects and transitions in the days of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. These disappears after 8.0/8.0.1.

ATR

• 3. Re: No GPU acceleration
              joem57192410 Level 1

But why does it take the program 5 min. or more to do a timeline playback pre-render for a 1min 21 sec video? I can render the video to HD 1080p 3 times in the time it takes the pre-render to complete. I have playback quality preffrences set to " Draft Quality, high speed"  I've used Premiere pro and pre-rendering is very fast.

• 4. Re: No GPU acceleration
                A.T. Romano Level 7

joem

What effects have you applied to the 1 min 21 seconds video and are observing the Timeline rendering time of 5 minutes? Any video stabilization included? What is the format of the video and complexity of the Timeline content structure? Just in case mention - Timeline rendering is for previewing process and involves the program automatically generating preview files. Whether video or stills, the format for HD is now AVC.mpeg and includes a companion informational file (.xmp). And, if you have the preference set for Timeline Rendering Quality set for Draft quality, High speed, the resolution is 960 x 540 instead of 1920 x 1080.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13/13.1: HD Timeline Rendered Files Format Changes

Just for comparative purposes, what is the relative Timeline rendering when you have the Timeline Rendering Quality set at High quality, slow speed versus Draft quality, High speed?

Please confirm that here we are talking about just a 1 min 21 seconds video preview rendering of it versus just export of the 1 min 21 seconds to undefined 1080p?

The rendering in the export sense of the word is a different process taking whatever the format of the original is to your 1080p choice (1920 x 1080 @ __ progressive frames per second). What is the resulting video audio compressions and file extension?

ATR