15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 1:11 PM by Szalam

Slow audio playback in preview

ironchef_marc Level 1

I`m working on a project with audio and the music plays back choppy. I tried various settings in the audio hardware and output as well as big and small buffer but did not change anything.

Is that normal? I am new to AE and starting to learn it (audio guy here)

I have a USB audio interface which should help playing back faster.

PS once I rendered the movie, all is fine but I would like to cut to music and playing back choppy and slow makes it hard to see what I am doing.

thanks

MB

• 1. Re: Slow audio playback in preview
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE are you using?

What OS are you using?

AE CS6-CC 2014 has had some issues on the newer Mac OS's with audio playback.

AE CC 2015 has had some preview issues in general on all OS's.

How are you trying to preview the audio?

What are your system specs?

If you're new to AE, I would highly recommend that you start here: Getting started with After Effects

• 2. Re: Slow audio playback in preview
            ironchef_marc Level 1

Using the latest.

Win 10, i5 3.2 Ghz

16GB of RAM

When I press "." audio plays fine. When I try to view with animation (and I'm talking even an empty composition) the music plays slower at a lower pitch,

I contacted support was told AE is not audio software and hearing stuttering is normal !!?? Yet I see tutorials online playback back animation with music sounding perfectly fine. Some of them of 3-4 years old too. What gives?

• 3. Re: Slow audio playback in preview

Usually when audio is playing back at a lower pitch, something is awry in the audio settings in AE or something is up with the audio file. Could you share a screenshot of your audio preferences and tell us the specs of your audio file?

Now, some people are having preview issues with CC 2015. The reason is that CC 2015 is the first step of a major change in AE under the hood and it's not complete yet. There is an update that's supposed to be out in less than a week that fixes some issues with the preview system. But, your issue doesn't sound like the kind of problem people have due to the new architecture. That being said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to install CC 2014 and try working with audio in it to see if it behaves there.

• 4. Re: Slow audio playback in preview
                ironchef_marc Level 1

The problem occurs with any music file. WAV or mp3.

I have no problems in Premiere.

Maybe I will wait for that update and cross my fingers if not I will try going the CC2014 route.

Thanks for you help Szalam

• 5. Re: Slow audio playback in preview
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Yeah, I'd check the audio sample rate right away.  If AE isn't reproducing the audio on pitch, it's typically a sample rate error.  The source clip's sample rate may be 48 kHz.  If AE is set for 44.1 kHz, the audio won't play on pitch.

Another thing to avoid:  compressed audio!  No AC3, no MP3 or any of that stuff.  WAV or AIFF.  AE behaves erratically with compressed audio.

A final thing:  AE really stinks at most audio tasks.  I would use it for reference ONLY, to time out animations.  Chances are the audio exists elsewhere in much better form... like in a video editing application with audio clips timed out here & there, or a fully-produced stereo audio track.  Since AE is so good at frame rates, you shouldn't have any problems rendering out a silent video clip, then dropping it into your video editor.

• 6. Re: Slow audio playback in preview
                    ironchef_marc Level 1

Being an audio guy the sampling rate setting is the first thing I checked but all is properly set.

I am trying to do fancy slideshows nicely synced to music so it's frustrating not being able to hear and see what I do properly. Especially given that I see people doing it in tutorial from several years ago and I have a 6month old decent computer and the latest AE.

• 7. Re: Slow audio playback in preview
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

Oh, well, there's your problem -- you're using the latest AE.  Don't.  Instead, download AE CC 2014.  AE CC 2015 abounds in bugs.  As a new AE guy, you can't tell what's a bug and what isn't.  Give yourself a fighting chance at learning the application.  Get AE CC 2014.  It'll be a version number UNDER 13.5.  If it's OVER 13.5, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

And don't go listening to the people who write stuff like, "Oh, there's going to be an update to AE CC 2015 oh-so soon, and it's going to be EVER so much better!"  You don't need that horses**t.  You need something that's tried-and-true right now.  That's AE CC 2014.

Learn your AE chops on something that works right now.  Then, after people have found the inevitable new bugs created by that upcoming bug fix and those new bugs have been in turn fixed, you can think about the newer version.  NOTE: it will work in fundamentally different ways that may fly in the face of older tutorials, which can also cause confusion.

• 8. Re: Slow audio playback in preview
                        ironchef_marc Level 1

I'm new to Cloud so could only install the latest. Where would I find the older versions? Can't access them in cloud

So I guess I won't be able to open project I've created in CC15 then?

• 9. Re: Slow audio playback in preview
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just take a close look at the creative cloud app and click on previous versions. This problem has been addressed many times on this forum.

• 10. Re: Slow audio playback in preview

mpc9000@hotmail.com wrote:

I'm new to Cloud so could only install the latest. Where would I find the older versions? Can't access them in cloud

So I guess I won't be able to open project I've created in CC15 then?

That's incorrect. After Effects CC 2014 will open projects created in AE CC 2015! How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015

• 11. Re: Slow audio playback in preview
                              ironchef_marc Level 1

You were right Dave! My audio works perfectly fine AE CC2014 ! So the issue is definitely a flaky AE CC2015. You saved me lots of headaches!

• 12. Re: Slow audio playback in preview
                                ironchef_marc Level 1

Can the same be said about Premiere? Better to use CC2014 at this time?

• 13. Re: Slow audio playback in preview

Note: I mentioned trying CC 2014 long before Dave did

Anyway, try with the new update for AE that came out last night. AE CC 2015 should be version 13.6. They fixed a lot of previewing issues. Maybe they fixed yours.

• 14. Re: Slow audio playback in preview
                                    ironchef_marc Level 1

Indeed I just downloaded the latest version and my project played back properly without stuttering or slower playback.

thanks!

• 15. Re: Slow audio playback in preview

Glad it fixed it for you!