5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2015 11:28 AM by Peter Spier

Broken Image Links

5p0ac3m0nk3y

Hello everyone,

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you may be able to offer on this ongoing problem I've had at my place of work.

When a windows PC user generates a link to an image in inDesign, Mac users cannot view the link!

I've found an apple script that can fix the links for Mac users, but I wonder if there is a better way to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Al

• 1. Re: Broken Image Links
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Does everyone have access to the same server? I work cross platform all the time and know many other people who do with no issue.

While Mac and Windows paths display differently, InDesign is capable of figuring it out.

• 2. Re: Broken Image Links
            5p0ac3m0nk3y Level 1

Bob,

Everyone does have access to the same server.  The windows users uses the same fileserver and the mac users. 

We found an apple script that can change the path of the images so that Macs can view the files but I think you may have to use it manually each time, or over a large number of files which worries us a bit.

We have to test it. 

Anyway, I'm still not sure how to resolve this problem best.  We considered just giving them Macs if we can afford it, but if there are too many Windows inDesign users, then maybe we have to find some workaround.

A

• 3. Re: Broken Image Links
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Again, I’ve never seen this issue. I work crossplatform via dropbox all the time and it just works.

This has to be some kind of server issue.

• 4. Re: Broken Image Links
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Don't use any extended character in file or path, no spaces and so on. No ÄÖÜß,äöü?&()!, no : on win, no / or \ on the Mac.

Best habit is to make a package and put this on the server. Links to other drives can always be a problem in a network environment.

• 5. Re: Broken Image Links
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Might be as simple as the network protocol you are using...