5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2015 7:05 AM by jamesb20116819

Product key for LR5

jamesb20116819

I have downloaded and installed LR5. It now asks for a 16 digit product key. How can I obtain that?

• 1. Re: Product key for LR5
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Where did you download and install LR from?

It should be asking you for a 24-digit serial number.  You would have paid for one of those, either US $150 if this is your first version of LR, or US $80 if you purchased an upgrade serial number and also have a previous version of LR’s serial number.

• 2. Re: Product key for LR5
            rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi jamesb,

Greetings.

Please check this link - https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/find-your-serial-number.html

Regards

Rohit

• 3. Re: Product key for LR5
              jamesb20116819 Level 1

Thanks for responding.  I downloaded Lightroom 5.7.1 from adobe.com/support/downloads/ etc. That installed okay but when I open the app, indeed it requests a 24 digit (as you say) serial number.  I already have an installed version of LR3. LR5 seems to be a no-longer available product and I could not find any web location to purchase a LR3 to LR5 upgrade - only LR3 to LR6.  How to get around this?

• 4. Re: Product key for LR5
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Normally you’d just want to purchase LR 6.  What not?

LR 5 might be available still on Amazon or somewhere like that as an “old product” but be careful not to get scammed by Amazon Marketplace sellers (not Amazon, themselves) pretending to sell LR 5 but only having pirated copies.

• 5. Re: Product key for LR5
                  jamesb20116819 Level 1

The difficulty is this:  LR6 requires Mac OS X 10.8 or higher.  My iMac is running OS X 10.7.  I am very reluctant to go up to 10.8 or 10.9 because that might then force me to upgrade many of my software packages.  Everything is working nicely and my long experience is to avoid changing something as significant as the OS.  Also, I am running Parallels 8 as a virtual machine with lots of Windows apps.  All of that might might be unhappy with OS X 10.8.

I am surprised that Adobe seems to have dropped LR5 so completely in favor of LR6. after all, LR5 is only two years old. Since Adobe still provides downloads of LR5, I thought they would offer a key for little or no charge.