4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2015 4:03 PM by mikesmovies

Sound goes in and out in timeline, unable to edit clips

mikesmovies

Hello Forum,

this is the second time I'm posting about my issue as I didn't really get a response the first time. I'm really hoping someone can help me.

This is the problem in a nutshell: I have been using Premiere Elements 9 for years and never had a problem. Recently, when I import video into Premiere two things have started happening: 1) when I drop clips into the timeline the sound only plays back 50% of the time. It is not an issue with the clips themselves because they play fine when opened for editing. Something happens after they got dropped into the timeline. If I render the final project and view it as a WMV, I can hear the audio fine. The problem is that I can't hear it in the timeline which means I can't edit properly. 2) the other problem is that I can't trim clips. When I select one of my imported video clips for editing, and try to mark the in and out points, the software seems to forget which points I selected and when I drop the clip into the timeline, the entire video file goes in. For example, if I have a 5 minute clip which I want to select only a 10 second portion of, when I drop it into the timeline the whole 5 minutes will go in. Needless to say this is very frustrating.

I am not sure what could be causing this malfunction. As I mentioned, I have never had a problem before.

Here is some additional detail about the set-up of my computer, etc.

- I am using Windows 7

- the files I am importing are quicktime video files taken from my Nikon D7000 camera

- as best as I can tell, everything is up to date. That was one of the first things I checked. Adobe Premiere says that it has the latest update. Myimage card is updated. I THINK my sound card is updated but I don't know how to check for sure

CAN ANYONE PLEASE OFFER ME SOME ADVICE??

• 1. Re: Sound goes in and out in timeline, unable to edit clips
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Here's your previous discussion.

When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?

Meantime, it's important to note that you're using version 9 Premiere Elements, which was not terribly versatile when it comes to work with video. Version 9 was pretty much designed to edit tape-based digital media like miniDV and HDV with very little support for still camera video and no support for smartphones and other non-camcorder devices. An upgrade to at least version 11 would make a world of difference.

That said, open a sample of your video in G Spot or Media Info and post to this forum the resolution, frame rate and audio and video codec to this forum. Also, can you confirm that these are MOV files?

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

We can't guarantee version 9 will be able to edit this format and codec of video. But, if you can tell us what your file is made of, we may be able to offer some direction for you.

• 2. Re: Sound goes in and out in timeline, unable to edit clips
            A.T. Romano Level 7

mikemovies

Continuing in

When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?

where we began to discuss your previewing only situation.....

Apologizes for losing track of your thread in the traffic. When that happens, best post in that thread again asking where am I to alert me that I have not responded to the information requested.

You clearly state that the source of your video here is the Nikon D7000, and it is expected to be H.264/AVCHD.mov 1920 x 1080p. Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 should be able to handle that format as well as its PCM audio with the latest version of QuickTime installed on the same computer running as administrator. Where 9.0/9.0.1 has run into problems is related to its display issues, and this brought attention to deletion of the BadDriver.txt file to get out of most of those situations where the problem exists when the video card/graphics card is up to date.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: BadDrivers.Txt File Locations

I am not sure how much computer resources factors into all this. Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application whether run on 32 bit or 64 bit computer.

But the examples that you have given seem to be using small files to demo your point.

In view of Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 history on display issues, how many video card/graphics cards does your computer use according to the computer's Device Manager/Display Adapters?

Are you working from the 9.0.1 update of 9.

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

Best done from this download rather than the project's Help Menu/Updates.

My impression is that this is not a video format issue. I can import a Nikon D7000 AVCHD.mov 1920 x 1080p29.97 into Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and preview it without issues with video or audio.

In our discussion in the other thread, I asked about Elements Organizer 9 in the following context....

when you import a video into Premiere Elements Editor, a copy is automatically placed in the Elements Organizer. The Elements Organizer can play back video in its player when you double click the video's thumbnail there. I was curious as to whether or not the video sound was OK in the Elements Organizer whereas it was not in the Editor previewing.

ATR

• 3. Re: Sound goes in and out in timeline, unable to edit clips
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Clearly ATR and I are pursuing two very different tacts, mike. Please let us know which train of thought you'd like to follow.

• 4. Re: Sound goes in and out in timeline, unable to edit clips
                mikesmovies Level 1

Hi Steve

I think ATR is on the right track. It doesn't seem to be a video format issue. I am going to follow his steps to see if it helps at all. Thanks for your insights!