6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2015 7:07 AM by resdesign

Change Shape to Image?

Ezekiel King

Hey everyone,

Is there a way to replace a shape with an image (svg)?

I had been using a rectangle as a placeholder, and now want to replace it with a vector I drew of a fish. However, I can't find a way to convert the shape into an image nor can I think of a work around. If anyone has any suggestions or knows a solution, that would be stellar. If not, I am glad I didn't get too far into this project yet but that kind of sucks.

Thanks!

Zeke

• 1. Re: Change Shape to Image?
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Let me see if I understand properly.

You have a rectangle on the stage.

You want to replace it with an image.

Use css or attr.

Example:

sym.$("Rectangle").attr('src',"images/fish.svg");

or

sym.$("Rectangle").css({'background-image":"url('images/fish.svg')","background-repeat":"n o-repeat"});

• 2. Re: Change Shape to Image?
            Ezekiel King Level 1

Where would I enter in either of these things? I get the gist, but I am just new to Edge animate and so I am trying to figure out where everything is in this interface.

Optimally, I would just convert the rectangle into an image so I could then replace the image (since I know that is a possibility due to another answer on the forums) so I could just avoid having to code this part.

• 3. Re: Change Shape to Image?

This is very easy to do.

Place your code in stage/compositionReady.

You could make an array of the images's names. Then you can iterate through the name on your click event.

Example:

var images = ['cat','dog','bird','mouse']

var i=0;

sym.$("button").bind('click',function(){

i++;

sym.$("images").attr('src',"images/"+images[i]+".svg");

});

• 4. Re: Change Shape to Image?
                Ezekiel King Level 1

Looking back on this, I wonder if I explained it clearly enough because I think my question was misunderstood to be how to apply a trigger to cause a change rather than what I was getting at which was how to convert a shape itself into an image.

My professor told me there was no way to do what I ultimately meant, which was to change the shape type into an image type, since I wanted an easy way to apply the animation triggers I had made to my placeholder shape to an image (since what I drew was not a shape but a vector).

I was still able to make use of the suggestion in another way though, so thank you regardless.

• 5. Re: Change Shape to Image?

If you have a native shape in Animate, then you can apply css background-image to load an image into the shape.

However a rectangle or ellipse in Animate is a "shape" and cannot be changed to an image (type) per se. For example you could change a image from div to img but you could not change a rectangle from div to img.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Change Shape to Image?

and of course the code for css is

sym.$("rectangle").css({'background-mage": "url('images/newImage.png')", "background-repeat": "no-repreat"});