7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2015 5:28 PM by RoninEdits

Monitors, Video Cards, and HDMI 2.0

tonylives

I am looking for a new 4k monitor at 27" for a price between $500 and $900.  At the same time, I am also planning to upgrade my video card to either a GTX970 or GTX980 ti.  The latter may be overkill for my old system.  I want to be sure I don't screw up by not getting a compatible monitor/vid card combo.

In my search I found the following monitors to be of interest:

Dell Ultra HD 4k Monitor P2715Q

ASUS PB287Q 4k UHD

ViewSonic VP2780-4K 27-Inch 4K Ultra HD

Of those 3, the viewsonic is the only one with the new HDMI 2.0 input.  The Dell seems really nice, however it has a lower refresh rate, which folks say is bad for video games.  I don't play games other than Counterstrike on rare occasion (yes, I'm old!).  The ASUS seems nice too.  My main interest would be to get the best 27" or so monitor in this price range for editing photos and video, as well as coloring.

Outside of 4k monitors, this Dell UltraSharp U2715H 27-Inch seems attractive due to the price point and the specs.

I was wondering if anyone could provide their opinion on the importance of getting something with the new HDMI input, vs. just going with one of the older choices?  Refresh rates, 30hz vs. 60hz and that stuff is a bit confusing to me in general. 

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

• 1. Re: Monitors, Video Cards, and HDMI 2.0
          cc_merchant Level 4

You could use the Club3D DP1.2 to HDMI2.0 converter. Then you improve your choices.

• 2. Re: Monitors, Video Cards, and HDMI 2.0
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

there are lots of options and quality levels to monitors, even more if doing color work with photos or video. just to start: Monitors buying guide - CNET

a quick look at some reviews of those monitors show the asus pb287q has a TN panel, and probably isn't what you want. the other two seem to be using IPS.

your msi gtx 660 ti appears to have a displayPort connection, which you can use instead of hdmi 1.4 for 4k 60hz.

if for some reason the gtx 660 ti displayport doesn't work, or you want a faster card for 4k CS gaming and some 4k editing, the gtx 970 would be a good option.

some new games demand even more than the gtx 980 ti can deliver at 4k, so it wont be worth going with just for future proofing games.

if you plan on using alot of gpu effects, lumetri color, and gpu plugins like neat video, the extra power of the gtx 980 ti can help those with 4k projects.

the gtx 660 ti and new gtx 900 series and your motherboard are all using pcie 3.0, so there shouldn't be any compatibility problems.

refresh rate is kinda equal to fps. if the monitor can only go up to 60hz, it can only show up to 60fps, even if the video card is producing more. that is where vsync, adaptive vsync, and g-sync come in to play.

depending how color accurate you want, there are adobe rgb and 10bit monitors, and 10bit nvidia quadro video cards. the quadro m4000 is an underclocked gtx 970.

if you don't have one already, you may want to invest in a monitor calibration device. you can also check if the monitor you get recommends a specific one.

if you are just doing content for personal or web, the 8bit gtx and the monitors you are looking at above, should be fine.

• 3. Re: Monitors, Video Cards, and HDMI 2.0
              tonylives Level 1

As always, thank you for the reply.  Really appreciate all the time you take to answer folks here.  I'm actually acting now on some advice you gave me in the past regarding a new CPU and the Samsung sm951.  Already replaced the os drive with an 850 pro, and was waiting for Christmas (NOW is close enough!) to upgrade the rest.  Going with the value play i7-4930K on the CPU, and getting rid of all 4 raid drives for the 951.

I really don't care about games, so primary focus would be a better photo/video editing experience.  I do primarily business photography for clients, but am working my way into more video because it's just harder to do well and less people can do it.  I've been having fun with video for awhile as well.  Now you can get ready to laugh.  Currently we use a spider 3 express for calibration and I edit on an old cheap ASUS VH236H monitor, and use a second 19" dell197FP square monitor (un-calibrated) to keep color controls on, etc.  We use the low tech technique of simply looking at our work on 4 different devices/systems to make sure nothing sucks terribly and that it appears well overall.

I have some experience with neat video, and it did make my machine choke a bit when I used it in this clip.  I love to use GPU effects such as the new adobe color controls and speedgrade.  My PC also choked when I piled on loads of 1080P clips in layers to make this video.  It was very upset, and I would have been better off shooting the drone in lower res since I scaled down the footage anyway.

Back to monitors -- I did notice some display manufacturers claim to have 100% color coverage, others 99%, etc...  From browsing it seems it may be a bit early to buy a solid IPS 4k model at a reasonable price, so I am thinking more along the lines of an older model.  This Samsung 32" WQHD LED Monitor (S32D850T) claims to have 100% sRGB color compliance, however it does not strike me as a "pro" choice.  Looking on B&H I did find some that come with their own color calibration.  They are a little more than I want to spend at the moment though and some seem very geared toward photography vs. video.  Let me know what you think of this particular Samsung if possible.  Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Monitors, Video Cards, and HDMI 2.0

so the samsung sm951 has already been superseded with the samsung 950 pro. also, the intel 750's are on sale at newegg, even their 1.2tb drive that used to be over $1k.

SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V5P512BW - Newegg.com

Intel 750 Series AIC 400GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEDMW400G4X1 - Newegg.com

the extra power and memory on the gtx 980 ti can help with neat video, and help with color grading in speedgrade or davinci resolve. premiere uses the cpu for decoding codecs like h264 for playback, so the more powerful video card wouldn't help much with the layered timeline of the drones. transcoding the footage to dnxhr would be another way to get better performance from h264/5 clips.

for monitors, since you are doing photo and video there are several setups you could end up with. if you are planning on doing video color grading, you may want a dedicated monitor for full screen playback as a reference monitor. its also common to use a display out card like one from blackmagic or aja to feed the reference monitor and avoid any interference from windows settings or nvidia drivers. many of these display out cards can support 10bit out as well, for 10bit monitors. you would need a blackmagic card if you ever go into davinci resolve (free), which is more advanced than speedgrade. some cards only offer hdmi or sdi, so if you go with one for 4k, you will need to choose a card up to the task of 4k and be aware of connections to the monitor. this setup also requires a monitor that can be calibrated directly, instead of using a calibration device that creates a windows icc profile for the monitor. if you go with the quadro for both monitors and speedgrade/premiere, it will do 10-bit and could use windows icc profile to hold the calibration.

i don't do any still picture or photography work, so i can't say much for how important adobe rgb might be. if you are doing prints, i think some of the calibration devices can also look at prints to calibrate the printer or calibrate the monitor to the printer. there are 10-bit monitors with high % rank of adobe rgb, so you could get a monitor that does both. it seems like monitors that can do both at 1080p start around $1k and 4k monitors around $2k. most monitors come with several inputs, so it may be possible to use one monitor for a primary windows desktop display for photoshop & lightroom and then switch inputs to use the same monitor for a video reference monitor. it should just be a matter of pressing a button on the monitor to switch inputs or getting a display switch box if needed. that would leave a regular monitor to drive windows desktop for premiere and speedgrade, instead of buying two expensive monitors. if using the quadro you may only need to move program windows to the different monitors instead of switching inputs.

i would stick with a 16x9 1080p or 2160p  for a video reference monitor or picture monitor, where as a 1440p and even 21x9 can be good for windows desktop with premiere for editing. 2k vs 4k will depend on you and your projects, and what you need or can afford. for video it should be possible to work on a 4k timeline and still have it send out 1080p for a reference monitor. if you aren't looking for the most critical setup, but just something better than what you have, you may be fine with srgb and the 4k monitors you were looking at first.

im not sure of the best website/reviews to help find a great monitor, but these are some i found.

What Display Should I Buy? An Opinion Piece… | Alexis Van Hurkman—Thinking Aloud

Monitors - Photo Review

https://pcmonitors.info/recommendations/

https://forum.pcmonitors.info/main/display-discussion/

• 5. Re: Monitors, Video Cards, and HDMI 2.0
                  cc_merchant Level 4

The Asus monitor you mean is the Asus PB279Q.

• 6. Re: Monitors, Video Cards, and HDMI 2.0
                    tonylives Level 1

Ah, that one seems to use an IPS panel.  The one I first mentioned is a TN.  Thanks.  Adds one more to the list and that ASUS looks pretty nice as well.  Monitor choice will be the hardest part

RoninEdits, I guess I have to stay awake - they're updating stuff faster than I can keep up.  The 950 pro definitely out-specs the intel drives.  Will try one of those for sure.  After these upgrades my system should be good for a few more years, and after I'll just build a new one around a fresh MB.  By then they'll have all this speed fitting inside a cereal box sized tower.

Right now I scale/crop all my 4k footage into a 1080 frame because I just don't yet see the need to upload to YouTube of Vimeo in 4k, and most of my cams only shoot in 1080p anyway!.  Thanks again for all the input.

• 7. Re: Monitors, Video Cards, and HDMI 2.0

good luck with the monitor search, let us know how it works out and what setup and hardware you go with...

By then they'll have all this speed fitting inside a cereal box sized tower.

they already done that . but it only holds one pcie card, like one double width video card.

maxresdefault.jpg