16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2015 2:15 PM by Warunicorn

Updating software and need help with what to buy

dnckat

i am a professional wedding/portrait photographer who has been using photoshop cs3 with some additional photography actions in Photoshop.  I also have lightroom but have not used it in years. I believe it's lightroom 1. I shoot both raw and JPEG. I am interested in some other photoshop actions that require me to use Lightroom 4 or higher or Adobe csmera raw. I am also aware my photoshop is very old but it is not my priority to replace. My question is if I get Lightroom which should I purchase Lightroom 4 or a higher one?  And can I edit raw files in Lightroom 4 or higher or do I also need Adobe camera raw?  Also, what are the links to purchase the programs and is is only a pay by month thing?  Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi dnckat

We would recommend you to get the Latest Lightroom CC/6.

Lightroom CC new features | Buy Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC

The best offer is to buy the Photography plan and you can subscribe Monthly/Yearly.See Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Let us know if that helps

Akash

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy
            dnckat Level 1

Thank you for the info is lightroom better than Adobe camera raw for

editing raw images?  Also can I buy lightroom 4 or 5 online someplace

instead in doing a monthly membership?

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015, Akash Sharma <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe Camera Raw is a plug-in for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. All of the technology that is in the Camera Raw plug-in is built into the Lightroom program. Lightroom does not use the Camera Raw plug-in because it doesn't need it. But the technology is precisely the same. So I don't know the you can say that Camera Raw is any better or any worse than Lightroom because they both use the same technology.

To purchase Lightroom 4 or Lightroom 5 you will have to find a reseller who has the version available. Adobe only sells Lightroom 6, the current standalone version, and Lightroom CC 2015 which is the subscription version. The programs are fundamentally the same although Lightroom CC has received some feature updates that are not available in Lightroom 6. The creative cloud subscription plan is really a good one because, not only do you get all of the features of Lightroom and frequent updates, but you also have the latest version of Photoshop with all of the features that it offers. Photoshop and Lightroom working together make a very powerful combination, especially for the professional photographer. And if you are still using Photoshop CS3, I think you would find that there are some tremendous advantages to having the latest version of Photoshop.

• 4. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy
                dnckat Level 1

Thank you and lightroom 5 has it built in to it as well?

• 5. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy

Yes, that has been part of the fundamental design of Lightroom from the very beginning. Lightroom has never used the Camera Raw plug-in. So in order to get support for new cameras as the industry continues to grow and change it's necessary to continually update Lightroom.

• 6. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy
                    dnckat Level 1

Ok perfect and thank you. If I get 5 now and later

Do your newest

Lightroom. Which do you recommend  and how does the monthly plan work?

• 7. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy

If you are a professional photographer you really ought to consider having the latest version of Lightroom and Photoshop. The two programs work together to give you a tremendous set of tools. The monthly plan costs $9.99/month. For that price you get the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom, and updates to the programs are always included. Lightroom and Photoshop are both installed locally on your computer. All of your work is stored locally on your computer. The creative cloud is simply used to deliver updates and to verify that your account is paid current. In my opinion, it is a tremendous value for any photographer, but a must for professionals.

• 8. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy
                        dnckat Level 1

I am kicking

Myself as I just bought lightroom 5 for $98

On ebay. Should I sell it?  I only have photoshop cs3! What's the newest

Lightroom and Photoshop titled?  It's been a while that I have updated my

programs:(

• 9. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy
                          dnckat Level 1

Also

Can I install my portraiture plug in and my total rad actions and Mastin

lab actions into them?

• 10. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy
                            dnckat Level 1

Also is the only fee just $10 a month?  Which plan do you recommend for a

wedding and or trait photographer

On Saturday, November 28, 2015, DeAnna Katrancha <deannakatrancha@gmail.com>

• 11. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy
                              dnckat Level 1

Hi just checking to see

If you received my last three emails:)

On Saturday, November 28, 2015, DeAnna Katrancha <deannakatrancha@gmail.com>

• 12. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy

The latest versions with the most features are Photoshop and Lightroom CC 2015, and that is what you get for $9.99/month. Since you have been using Photoshop CS3, you are probably not familiar with Bridge. But that is the image browsing program that is part the latest Photoshop. The photography plan, which includes Photoshop and Lightroom ($9.99/month) is a combination that would give you as a professional photographer the most powerful tools Adobe has to offer for your photography business. These programs will be continually updated and upgraded, all part of your monthly fee. New cameras will be added when necessary, and new features will be introduced.

On the other hand, since you just purchased Lightroom 5, you might want to just try using it for a while. I suspect you might have difficulty selling it. It will work with your Photoshop CS3. But be aware that new cameras have been introduced since production ended on Lightroom 5. So if you are using very up-to-date cameras and are shooting raw, then you will have to use the standalone DNG converter to create DNG copies that will work with Lightroom 5.

Although Lightroom 5 will work with your Photoshop CS3, Lightroom will recognize that the Camera Raw you are able to use is not matching what Lightroom 5 will do. It will warn you that there is a disparity, but all you have to do is choose to edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments and Lightroom will create a copy, PSD or TIF depending on your choice in preferences, and that is the image that will be sent to Photoshop.

It's difficult for me to advise you as to what you should do. If you want the best and the most flexibility Adobe has to offer, I truly believe that the photography plan ($9.99/month option) is the best value. It will also give you ability to synchronize images with Lightroom Mobile. And that will enable you to share your images with your clients. But the choice is yours. I don't know your workflow. And my workflow certainly isn't anything like yours. I have the photography plan and really like it. Everything works smoothly for me.

• 13. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy
                                  dnckat Level 1

Hi I cancelled my order for lightroom 5:). How do I get started with the

plan you recommend and can I use it for jpegs as well?  Is the plan inly

9.99 a month?  Are there any other fees

And when is the contract a year?

• 14. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy
                                    dnckat Level 1

Also I have not used bridge as I currently bring my images individually

into photoshop to edit. Is bridge for photoshop likeLightroom viewing wise?

• 15. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy
                                      dnckat Level 1

Hi sorry to bug you with a ton of emails but wanted to see if you could

answer them

As I want to purchase the plan. Thanks!

On Sunday, November 29, 2015, DeAnna Katrancha <deannakatrancha@gmail.com>

• 16. Re: Updating software and need help with what to buy
                                        Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

dnckat wrote:

Hi I cancelled my order for lightroom 5:). How do I get started with the

plan you recommend and can I use it for jpegs as well?  Is the plan inly

9.99 a month?  Are there any other fees

And when is the contract a year?

Adding to what Jim said, you have a few choices concerning the subscription: You can pay by the month, by the year OR pick up an annual card at places like Best Buy:

Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan 1-User 1-Year Subscription - Windows|Mac|iOS - Best Buy

If I recall, if you pay monthly via Adobe, there's a stipulation that if you cancel at any time, you must pay for 50% of the remaining months in the subscription. (e.g., You join for 6 months and cancel, you'll pay for 3 months.) Remember that when you do it monthly, you agree to a year of service, hence the 50% catch if you cancel.

Paying annually is done up front; if you cancel at any time (say, 6 months in), the sub simply expires at the end of the date that you joined.

Sure, you can use your JPEGs.

Don't know if this was mentioned (because I read the thread really fast): Lightroom is basically Camera Raw with a pretty UI and image cataloging. They're functionally the same (in regards to RAW processing).