3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2015 3:16 AM by Mylenium

    Unknown BIB error (83::3)

    Gutter-Fish Level 4

      While using the arrow keys to twirl through the fonts in the character panel I got this error.

      "AE Warning: Unknown BIB Error. Invalid encoding, BRV,0 (83::3)"

      Everytime I clicked OK it re-appeared. Had to force quit AE.

      I restarted and chose the same font where AE crashed and it crashed again, so it seems related to that font.

      Can anyone tell me what happened?  Was it a corrupted font?

      Thing is I have scrolled through my entire font list before and never gotten this error.

      2015-11-25_13-17-19.jpg

        • 1. Re: Unknown BIB error (83::3)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

          Well, you answered your own question... Try to remove the offending font and reinstall it. This will at least refresh the system font cache, which in fact may be the actual deeper issue here.

           

          Mylenium

          • 2. Re: Unknown BIB error (83::3)
            Gutter-Fish Level 4

            Thanks Myl,

             

            I deleted my FNTCACHE.DAT & all Adobefnt.lst as suggested on the interweb.  I noticed my Sys32 folder there is also a FntCache.dll.  Should this be deleted as well?

            I assumed this might be what creates the caches themselves & google seems to confirm this but your confirmation would be appreciated.

            Also discovered your error database.

             

            Thanks -Paul

            1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Unknown BIB error (83::3)
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

              Do not mess with DLLs! If the DLL is missing without being unregistered first, Windows may not boot up at all or only in Repair mode plus in the particular case the UI may become unreadable. In fact, now that I think of it, booting in safe mode might also be a good idea. It also has the power of cleaning up corrupted system caches and reordering your system files, which may help. Also check your system language settings. perhaps you have enabled something there that makes AE want to render non-existent characters in a font.

               

              Mylenium