4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2015 4:29 AM by trshaner

FIRST POST! Looking to Improve lightroom performance, increase data backup security and reorganize my life.. HELP! (harddrive related)

PDaleyProductions

Hey guys (and gals)!

First post!

I havent done much searching, but I figured that my case is pretty personal and totally open to opinion... and a great place to put it would be the adobe forums... anyway...

Amazon has a deal right now for a sandisk ultra 1tb ssd for $199... and it has me heavily debating on purchasing two of them for my upcoming 31st bday (12/2/84), and upgrading my main OS drive as into a 2x1tb RAID 0 setup...

However... I also have a shameful amount of varying sized HDDS laying around and plugged into my machines... sooooo can I give you a run down on what I have and maybe you guys can suggest a proper re-configuration... orrr if I should pull the trigger on this 400 dollar Amazon order for the Raid 0...

Okay...

in my PC now:

240GB SSD OS Drive
      3TB General HDD
      128GB "Download" SSD (for unloading my Canon 70D, GoPro Hero 4, 3+'s and 3 black and during the "editing" phase)

Synology Back up Drive:
      4x3tb HDD in their disk setup for a total of 8.1tb in space... (currently 5.9 used)
      (side note on this... I'm most likely going to painstakingly move all my files around and put this into a different data redundancy setup.. maybe 2 2x3tb raid 0s for better performance while reading/accessing the files that are stored on there.... For a while I tried just keeping all my "media" on this network drive, but the lag issues while trying to access my files were killing me... after the hurdle that was trying to setup windows library files correctly...)

also laying around out of my pc.. (I know how to take and put together external drives):

2x1.5tb,1 3tb and a 1tb HDD.. 1x2tb external thats currently being used as my xbox one drive (may want to switch that to a 3tb) and I also have a 500gb usb 2.5inch and then a 1tb external drive (which I can swap with a bigger drive if I want)....

Good grief... I hope you guys are still with me.. but if you are, I'm sure now you probably understand my slight hesitation in getting MORE, albeit faster storage...

Anyway. I've read a lot about lightroom performance... and keeping the catalog, cache, and media on separate drives... as well as keeping your catalogs divided so they do not get too huge...

This is my question...

WHAT THE HECK SHOULD I REALLY TRULY DO!?!?!

I just read and found out that I've been dropping the ball on Raid 0 (and due to the fact that in my 20+ years of computing I've only have maybe 3 hard drives fail) being the best route for SSDs...Now.. being that I have two SSDs already, I could do a 2x128gb SSD Raid 0 (chopping my 256GB down to match the other 128GB SSD I have) but they are diff brands, so I dunno about that...

Will I see an increase performance if I do get the new 2x1tb SSDs, raid 0 them, fresh install windows 10 and all apps... setting it so the OS, cache files, games and programs are on that? and then use my old drives for a 2x or 3x 3tb HDD for storage and catalogs... AND THEN reconfiguring my data drives for a faster RAID set up???

orrr should I get them and do 1tb SSD OS and programs cache, 1tb SSD catalog with the extra HDDs as storage and backup..

oh my lord.. I'm sure if you know already, you can imagine that I could continue the theoreticals...

I'm just really looking for speed, reliability and RELIABILITY... as well as SPEED..

I have upwards of a bajillion photos (I do timelapses regularly, and have a problem not deleting photos) so I originally got these drives to all fill up.. but I figured I'd play around with performance structure, reset up my backup techniques and then go from there... especially since the SSD prices have dropped so much...

Also.. I'm in the air between getting a DJI phantom 3 orrrr slowly replacing my PC with newer things.. (i7 3770k, 32gb ddr3? ram).. soooo knowing that.. what do you think i should do..

I appreciate the help, if anyone actually reads this novel

-Pete Daley
      PDaley Productions

• 1. Re: FIRST POST! Looking to Improve lightroom performance, increase data backup security and reorganize my life.. HELP! (harddrive related)
          dj_paige Level 9

I can't address all of your points tonight, so let me just pick a few

... as well as keeping your catalogs divided so they do not get too huge...

This is absolute utter nonsense and baloney. This is a terrible mistake, especially for someone who is starting out. One catalog for all your photos. Period.

Now that you have decided on one catalog, there are two things to consider ... where to store your photos, and how to organize them. The two are not the same.

You can store your photos anywhere you want them to be, Lightroom does not care. If you want to leave them where they are on a variety of hard disks, that's fine if that meets your needs, and Lightroom works perfectly well. If you feel you want all the photos on a single disk for ease of backup, or for any other reason, that's fine too. Lightroom will run just as well in this situation. I recommend putting your NEW photos in subfolders of a parent folder, said subfolders named for capture date, as this is the Lightroom default and takes ZERO EFFORT on your part. If you choose to move all the photos to a single disk, do this before you import into Lightroom.

Within Lightroom, my preferred method of organizing is the following: you organize using Lightroom tools , preferably keywords and other metadata. You do not organize via folders, as this has led to many many beginners not obtaining the full benefits of Lightroom (as well as making many beginner mistakes). Figure out your hierarchy of keywords, and then apply the keywords and other metadata to your photos.

• 2. Re: FIRST POST! Looking to Improve lightroom performance, increase data backup security and reorganize my life.. HELP! (harddrive related)
            PDaleyProductions Level 1

good point with the keywords, ive used them before, but hardly with the effectiveness i could...

as far as folder structure.. this is an example of 2 photo locations...

D:/Photos/Camera Roll/Canon/70D/2015/CO Trip
            V:/Photos/GoPro/Hero 3/2012/Timelapses/outside deck sunset/

I have upwards of 500k photos.. potentially 750k at this point from timelapses over the years.... hence the suggestion of sep catalogs (Canon, GoPro)

How about cache and catalog locations?

I'm assuming with 2x1tb raid 0 producing 2tb that would provide enough space for both on the main OS drive, along with all my programs too..

would doing that, and keeping all my media on HDD drives, maybe in a raid 0 or 5 or something like that...

Bottom line... do i jump on this amazon deal for 200 bucks orrrrr will just reconfiguring my drives in a better raid setup give me the same performance?

• 3. Re: FIRST POST! Looking to Improve lightroom performance, increase data backup security and reorganize my life.. HELP! (harddrive related)
              dj_paige Level 9

I have upwards of 500k photos.. potentially 750k at this point from timelapses over the years.... hence the suggestion of sep catalogs (Canon, GoPro)

Again, in my opinion, this is a horrible idea, makes your life more complicated (not simpler), I can't see a single benefit, you are heading in the wrong direction. One catalog. (People in this forum report catalogs of over 600k images working properly)

Cache and catalog location (singular because you will have only one catalog, not plural) — put them on your fastest disk, if space permits.

Bottom line... do i jump on this amazon deal for 200 bucks orrrrr will just reconfiguring my drives in a better raid setup give me the same performance?

I don't give people advice on whether they should spend their money, that's entirely up to you. If you feel the features are beneficial to you at that price, sounds like a good deal; if you feel that's too much money for the perceived value, then don't buy it.

In terms of performance, SSD for your catalog file (singular) and cache, other than that, you don't need fast drives; but you ought to consider its always a good idea to get a fast CPU (and GPU if we're talking about certain situations, GPU is meaningless in other situations), and at least 8GB of RAM AND a 64bit operating system (not 8GB of RAM with a 32bit operating system).

• 4. Re: FIRST POST! Looking to Improve lightroom performance, increase data backup security and reorganize my life.. HELP! (harddrive related)
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PDaleyProductions wrote:

in my PC now:
                240GB SSD OS Drive
                3TB General HDD
                128GB "Download" SSD (for unloading my Canon 70D, GoPro Hero 4, 3+'s and 3 black and during the "editing" phase)

I'd like to suggest keeping your posts shorter and focused on a single specific issue. Other forum users are far more likely to reply and assist you if they don't have to first read through multiple paragraphs to understand your issue.

BTW- You haven't actually told us that you have a problem and from the description of your system you shouldn't.

Concerning using SSD you are already doing what is suggested to improve LR perfomance (System Drive SSD).

Will an SSD Improve Adobe Lightroom Performance? | Computer Darkroom

PDaleyProductions wrote:

Amazon has a deal right now for a sandisk ultra 1tb ssd for $199... and it has me heavily debating on purchasing two of them for my upcoming 31st bday (12/2/84), and upgrading my main OS drive as into a 2x1tb RAID 0 setup...

Upgrading your main system drive from the single 240GB SSD to a RAID O configuration is highly unlikely to improve LR performance and will definitely decrease system reliability. So nothing to gain and everything to lose (pun intended)! Using a single larger SSD (1 TB) will improve reliability if your current 240GB SSD is starting to fill up.