10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2015 3:22 PM by ssprengel

nikon d7200 doesnt work in lightroom 5.7

garym72366317

I have just bought a Nikon D7200, and I cannot see my pictures in lightroom 5.7

Why will this camera not work when my Nikon D7000 was fine?

• 2. Re: nikon d7200 doesnt work in lightroom 5.7
          garym72366317 Level 1

Thank you for your quick response.

I've not had LR5 long , so I now have to go and buy LR6 at another £100 plus?

I bought LR as it seemed quick and easy and seemed to update automatically.

• 3. Re: nikon d7200 doesnt work in lightroom 5.7
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's unfortunate that Lightroom 6 was released when it was because it did not include your new camera. But you do have a free option available to you. You can download the latest DNG converter and use it to create DNG copies of your NEF files. Those can be opened with the Lightroom that you have now, and you will have all the flexibility that you would have with your NEF files. The only caveat is that you won't be able to open them with Nikon software.

Major upgrades to Lightroom are released about every 18-24 months. Upgrades must be paid for. You could wait for another year or so for Lightroom 7. But frankly, I think the creative cloud photography plan is an excellent opportunity. You get the latest Lightroom and all the new features that are added periodically as well as the latest version of Photoshop with all of the power that it has to offer. It makes such a wonderful combination for postprocessing. I think $10/month is an excellent value.

• 4. Re: nikon d7200 doesnt work in lightroom 5.7
              garym72366317 Level 1

Thank you jimhess for your reply.

So even if I bought LR6 I would still not be able to upload and edit my photos?

If LR6 did work would it automatically take my LR5 content and merge?

Sorry I'm not technically minded. I use a laptop to edit and store, Im not into cloud etc

• 5. Re: nikon d7200 doesnt work in lightroom 5.7
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom 6 is the next upgrade. It is a paid upgrade for anyone using a previous version. And that includes Lightroom 5. Lightroom 6 does include support for the D7200. When you install Lightroom 6 and first start it, it will find your old catalog and all the work you have done and will prompt you to allow it to upgrade it. You should allow that to happen. Lightroom 6 will create a new catalog with all of the work that you have previously done. And you can just continue working with the new version.

I think some people have a misconception about the creative cloud. You do not do your work in the cloud. Lightroom and Photoshop are both installed locally on your laptop. You use them as local programs. Images are stored on your computer. The cloud is used to pay the fees and to deliver new updates when they become available. You probably save a little money by purchasing Lightroom 6. But you don't save the whole $10/month because when Lightroom 7 is released it will be a paid upgrade that is normally $79 US. So you are probably saving maybe $6/month, but you don't have the latest Photoshop available to you. From my perspective, it seems to me that if people would really look at the benefits and features of the photography plan they would realize what an excellent value it really is. Just one more thought. I think people spend more than $10/month on their favorite beverages and don't think anything about it. Seems to me it's worth that to have the best Adobe has to offer for photographers.

• 6. Re: nikon d7200 doesnt work in lightroom 5.7
                  garym72366317 Level 1

I am new to Adobe forums and you all seem very helpful and have lots of knowledge on here.

I'm now thinking of buying LR6 full,

Will it update automatically like my LR5 did up to 5.7

Thanks again for your help and patience

• 7. Re: nikon d7200 doesnt work in lightroom 5.7
                    99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes LR 6 will offer you the chance to convert your LR5 catalog; so nothing will be lost. Use the link below to buy directly from Adobe and you will qualify for the upgrade price. Click Buy and select:

I want to buy (change from Full to Upgrade)

I Own (Choose Lightroom 5X)

The upgrade price will then be displayed and you can click add to cart.

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software _sl_mostpopular.html

• 8. Re: nikon d7200 doesnt work in lightroom 5.7
                      garym72366317 Level 1

Thank you,

I've tried all ways in Adobe and when I go to buy LR6 the Error 413 message comes up with header length too large?????

• 9. Re: nikon d7200 doesnt work in lightroom 5.7
                        whsprague Level 4

If you know and enjoy Lightroom 5, stick with it. 

The Adobe DNG converter is very quick, easy to use and free.  Put it in your normal work flow at the point where you transfer your files from your camera card to your computer.   In other words, use it as your "copy pictures to computer" tool. 

Don't get me wrong.  I like Lightroom 6.  I liked 5 and 4 too.  I will like 7.  Since I'm that way, using the CC plan makes it easy.   If you don't like the CC plan and don't want to spend the £100 plus, Adobe is taking care of you with the DNG converter.

• 10. Re: nikon d7200 doesnt work in lightroom 5.7
                          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Download the LR CC 2015/6 from here and use it in trial mode, so see if it’ll work and you like it:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html