8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2015 7:44 AM by Web_Zest

My Lightroom Develop Module performance is not working properly.

Web_Zest

My Lightroom performance is not great.  After installing the appropriate NVIDIA, GeForce GTX 970 Graphics card with 4 Gig Ram,  Windows 10 (latest build) with 32 Gig RAM,  and the latest version of Lightroom CC (2015.3), I am still facing slow image refresh in the develop module.  The software does not remember the Previews that I created (1:1).  Each time that I click on a photo from the stream, the image starts from being clear -> to blur -> to clear, which take about 15-20 seconds.  This happens even after I have already generated 1:1 Previews for all the images in the Catalog.  I need help to set the settings so I can have a proper professional experience with lightroom.

I have already tried to follow some recommendations:

1. Allow a 160 Gig Camera Raw Cache Setting

2. Installed a SSD Drive for booting and placed the Lighttroom Catalog and Cache folder under the Default Images directory, under my account profile

3. Created a new Catalog that is less than a few GIG in size

Posted below is my System Info.   Is there anything else I can do to get this to work?  It is very frustrating!

---------------  SYSTEM INFO ------------------------------------

Lightroom version: CC 2015.3 [ 1052427 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 10

Version: 10.0

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 3.5 GHz

Built-in memory: 32717.7 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32717.7 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 925.4 MB (2.8%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1086.4 MB

Memory cache size: 0.0 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 359.00

Renderer: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2

LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: C:\Users\Johnny\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\Johnny\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Canon Tether Plugin

2) Facebook

3) Flickr

4) HDR Efex Pro 2

5) Leica Tether Plugin

6) Nikon Tether Plugin

7) Perfect B&&W 9

8) Perfect Effects 9

9) Perfect Enhance 9

10) Perfect Photo Suite 9

11) Perfect Portrait 9

12) Perfect Resize 9

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de

Device : 13c2

Subsystem : 29783842

Revision : a1

Video Memory : 4008

Adapter #2: Vendor : 1414

Device : 8c

Subsystem : 0

Revision : 0

Video Memory : 0

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024

AudioDeviceName: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: Uninitialized

Direct2DEnabled: false

GPUDevice: not available

OGLEnabled: true

• 1. Re: My Lightroom Develop Module performance is not working properly.
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi Web_Zest,

Please follow the below steps :

> Launch Lightroom

> Click on Edit > Preferences

> Click on Performance Tab

> Uncheck the option Use Graphics Processor

> Relaunch Lightroom and check for the issue

Let me know if this helps.

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: My Lightroom Develop Module performance is not working properly.
            Web_Zest Level 1

I already tried to disable the Graphics processor, same results.  I thought that the whole point of adding the Graphics Processor to the last two versions was to take advantage of 4K systems. I am not trying to get into that debate, just making an observation.

Lightroom has been destroyed over the course of going to CC.  I remember when it was fast and easy to work with.  Now, it is so painful to see it in action.  I even lost my Tether on my MAC because I installed El Capitan.  I know there is a warning there on this group, but who reads that stuff?  I would think that, given that most of the Graphics designers use MAC, Adobe would have a small office at Apple just so they can have someone testing the new release before they leave Apple, etc.  This is so lame.  I never thought I would experience such inefficiency in Management.  Do they even test this tool anymore?  I have a new system with nothing on it except the OS, Lightroom, Photoshop and some add-ons for those tools.   I was told to purchase a new Graphics Card from the approved list, which I did.  I am still facing the same problem.  I am so upset with this issue....

• 3. Re: My Lightroom Develop Module performance is not working properly.
              Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Could you please uninstall and reinstall Lightroom and check for the issue?

~Mrinmay

• 4. Re: My Lightroom Develop Module performance is not working properly.
                Web_Zest Level 1

I unistalled Lightroom CC.  renamed the Lightroom folder from my profile, rebooted the PC.  Reinstalled lightroom CC, choose to create a brand new lightroom catalog, imported from a local session from my C:\ Images folder.  The behavior is the same.  Lightroom does not remember the previews and continues to "loading" and spin the little wheel whenever I click on an image from the strip.  This is insane...

• 5. Re: My Lightroom Develop Module performance is not working properly.
                  Web_Zest Level 1

...BTW, after failing to get results with Lightroom CC, I chose to install version 5.7.1 from the list of previous versions.  that version does remember the previews and does not continue to LOAD and SPIN as version 6 (CC).  So, I have to deduce that the issue is ont with my PC but with the latest CC version of Lightroom.  Is there any way to test the list of version 6, before all the rush to compete with Capture One, which is a much better alternative right now?

• 6. Re: My Lightroom Develop Module performance is not working properly.
                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I unistalled Lightroom CC.  renamed the Lightroom folder from my profile, rebooted the PC.  Reinstalled lightroom CC, choose to create a brand new lightroom catalog, imported from a local session from my C:\ Images folder.  The behavior is the same.  Lightroom does not remember the previews and continues to "loading" and spin the little wheel whenever I click on an image from the strip.  This is insane...

Are you clicking between images in the strip in Develop? The Develop module does NOT use the 1:1 previews. Those are only used in Library. In Develop, Lightroom has to load the raw file and render every single time, so it is not a good solution to quickly go through images to work in Develop. It should take a few seconds to fully render a new raw image loaded there depending on how large your images are. If you want to speed up image switching in Develop there are some solutions. One is a large camera raw cache, which you are already using and second is to turn off graphics card acceleration, which, if turned on, slows down the initial load. Lastly, you need to make sure you are at 2015.3 or at 2015.1.1 and that you don't have 2015.2. The 2 version had many bugs that would slow down this process terribly.

15-20 seconds is extremely long for this loading process in my experience. I can only get it to be that slow on a far less powerful system only if the files are >500MB very high resolution stitched tiff files. Not with RAW files (I shoot a 24 MP camera). If these are raw files, something else is wrong. Do you have face recognition turned off?

• 7. Re: My Lightroom Develop Module performance is not working properly.
                      Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should try to clear your camera raw cache (can be done from Lightroom preferences).

• 8. Re: My Lightroom Develop Module performance is not working properly.
                        Web_Zest Level 1

After recreated my initial scenario, such as de-install Lightroom CC, rebooting the PC, rename the lightroom default folder from my profile, re-install Lightroom CC, choose to allow lightroom to install in the default area on C:, de-select to use the Graphic card in Preferences, Create a brand new Catalog, re-import all the photos from the RAID drive, Lightroom started to behave better then my initial experience following the install of the updates.  I have to adjust my usage protocol, such as using the Library to review my photos and only use the Develop module when I need to adjust the images, etc.  Nevertheless, I would feel better if lightroom worked like Capture One when it comes to reviewing and editing.  Having the Library and Develop make the process more complex and confusing.