5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2015 7:14 PM by mikeklar

Be careful about USB 3.1 devices

Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have been a very vocal advocate of using the newer USB 3.0 flash drives (like my current favorite Samsung T1) for editing especially on laptops.  I have been looking forward to the next generation 3.1, but guess what USB3.1 Gen1 is the same slow speed as 3.0 and will not improve performance!  You will have to wait until vendors implement USB 3.1 Gen 2 for USB speed increase from the current 5Gbps transfers and we really get 10Gbps speeds.

See the test results

• 1. Re: Be careful about USB 3.1 devices
          mikeklar Level 1

Bill

I'm using a 3.1 housing NexStar with a 500GB Samsung SSD.

With their cable plugged into the 3.1 port it does run significantly faster than when plugged into a 3.0 port.  However, it is intermittent and only reliable when plugged into a USB 3.0 port.

The manufacturer has not responded to my inquiry on this matter.

Cheers 

• 2. Re: Be careful about USB 3.1 devices
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thanks.

That is great that there is hope for the potential of faster transfers.  If you get any resolution from NexStar let us know.

Also of course it might be the motherboard BIOS, are you up to date

• 3. Re: Be careful about USB 3.1 devices
              RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

usb 3.1 gen 2 has been in the news for some time now, but your post may help some people here. i thinks its very dumb they choose to go with those naming conventions, leading to alot of confusion. type-c is being used for usb 3.1 gen 1 too, so can't just look for type-c to be safe either. i think some vendors are ignoring the naming convention adding to even more confusion. we may have to watch for rated speeds of 5Gbps vs 10Gbps to tell the difference when buying something.

USB.org - SuperSpeed USB

USB 3.0 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USB 3.0 (renamed to USB 3.1 Gen 1 in 2015) is the third major version of the Universal Serial Bus (USB) standard for interfacing computers and electronic devices. Among other improvements, USB 3.0 adds the new transfer mode SuperSpeed (SS) that can transfer data at up to 5 Gbit/s (625 MB/s), which is about ten times faster than the USB 2.0 standard. USB 3.0 connectors are usually distinguished from their USB 2.0 counterparts by blue color-coding of the receptacles and plugs, and the initials SS.

A successor standard, USB 3.1 (renamed to USB 3.1 Gen 2 in 2015), was released in July 2013 with the new transfer mode SuperSpeed+ that can transfer data at up to 10 Gbit/s (1.25 GB/s, twice the rate of USB 3.0), bringing its theoretical maximum speed on par with the first version of the Thunderbolt interface.

• 4. Re: Be careful about USB 3.1 devices
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

there was another news story about some of the usb 3.1 gen 2 cables not being built properly, maybe you have a bad cable?

My team at Google has been very big proponents and innovators of USB Type-C.…

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A25GROL6KJV3QG/ref=cm_cr_rdp_pdp

• 5. Re: Be careful about USB 3.1 devices
                  mikeklar Level 1

That was my initial reaction, however using two different cables plugged into the 3.1 slots the results were the same.

One observation, the female connector's contacts for USB 3.1 are exceedingly small spaced and near the front possibly allowing contacts to short out.  If one wiggles the cable's connector there seems to be sufficient movement which could cause that.

Cheers.

Ps. no response from NexStar as of yet.