10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2015 4:51 PM by Blether12

Lost folders

Blether12

I disconnected external drives but when I re-connected some links were broken so Copies folders were SOMETIMES missing and in one case total loss of connection to external drive. Windows 7. Searching as per recommended didn't work. You will see in the first comparison on the left most of the Copies subfolders are greyed out. In the second on the right everything has disappeared despite best efforts to retrieve.

AAAAprobsnip1.JPGAAAAprobsnip2.JPG

• 1. Re: Lost folders
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi Blether,

I am not able to find any similarities to reference the missing folders.

Could you please check and confirm whether you have the correct catalog opened in Lightroom?

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: Lost folders
            Blether12 Level 1

Hello,

There are two columns. The one on the left shows the problem with the

missing Copies subfolders. They can be seen in the Widows version but

are missing in the Lightroom version, except the first one. The one on

the left shows the Windows version with all the folders attached. They

have disappeared from the Lightroom version and cannot be traced. I

have been using the one Master Folder in Lightroom 5 so I don't

understand any question about whether I was using the correct.

Thanks

Mícheál

• 3. Re: Lost folders
              Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi Mícheál,

Lightroom will only show the folders or the images which you have imported into the catalog.

You are able to see the folders or images in explorer but if you haven't imported the images into the catalog from that location, Lightroom won't be showing the folders or the images.

If you have imported the images, please click on File > Open Recent, click on any other catalog (if available) and check for the images.

Hope this helps.

~Mrinmay

• 4. Re: Lost folders
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom is not a file browser and by default does not show your folders in the tree layout like a file browser does.

Do a right-click, "show parent" on some of the folders and see if that sheds light on any confusion.

• 5. Re: Lost folders
                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Looking at the second lot of screen-clips: (mostly 2012)

Your folder in Lightroom {2012-06-10 Mullaghmore} is located in the { My Pictures/2012 } folder.

Your folder in Windows File Explorer {2012-06-10 Mullaghmore} is located in the { My Pictures } folder.

So you have the same folder TWICE in different locations!

Did you put your camera pictures into a hard-drive folder then Import using the "Copy" option??

In Windows File Explorer- expand the SUB-FOLDERS of the {2012} folder- I think you may find what I am suggesting.

I will be interested to know!

• 6. Re: Lost folders
                    Blether12 Level 1

Hello and thank you,

It looks as if these were worked on before I got LR5. Buried in the

2012 folder was a bunch of JPEGs. These are all JPEGs of the NEF files

in the other Mullaghmore folder. The way I work is to set up a folder

for new images along the lines of yyyy/mm/dd Title then copy the pics

from card to folder on HDD. I then import to LR by using ADD. When I

process, I save the resultant JPEG in a folder called Copies which is a

system-created subfolder of the first folder. I have no idea how the

folder of JPEGS happened though I suspect I  was just getting into

shooting RAW and set the camera to RAW+Fine then separated them later.

Must have been.

My remaining problem is that when I re-attached my external drives,

everything came back in my two important drives. Except, that is, that

some of the Copies subfolders (only some) have disappeared. The little

triangle in front of the folder name  is there in most cases, missing

in some. So some of my JPEG exports have gone awol! Have to work on

that one.

Cheers,

Michael

• 7. Re: Lost folders
                      Blether12 Level 1

Hello Mrinmay Majhi,

Thank you for you response.

I have imported images to the catalog. Many thousand. And not only had

I imported to the catalog, I edited them in LR5 then exported them

successfully to a sub-folder called Copies attached to each folder.

Each time the system created this subfolder it placed a little triangle

in front of the folder to show it contained a subfolder.  All was well

until someone asked me for copies of photos a few days ago. I had to

disconnect a couple of external drives to do this. When I re-connected

I found I had lost a lot of folders. However, wen I swapped the drive

letters round the problem was solved. Except that some of the Copies

sbfolders were missing from Lightroom. They are OK in Explorer. The

triangles are greyed out in some cases and I want to re-establish the

link.

Thanks

Mícheál

• 8. Re: Lost folders
                        Blether12 Level 1

Hello Mrinmay Majhi,

Thank you for you response.

I have imported images to the catalog. Many thousand. And not only had

I imported to the catalog, I edited them in LR5 then exported them

successfully to a sub-folder called Copies attached to each folder.

Each time the system created this subfolder it placed a little triangle

in front of the folder to show it contained a subfolder.  All was well

until someone asked me for copies of photos a few days ago. I had to

disconnect a couple of external drives to do this. When I re-connected

I found I had lost a lot of folders. However, wen I swapped the drive

letters round the problem was solved. Except that some of the Copies

sbfolders were missing from Lightroom. They are OK in Explorer. The

triangles are greyed out in some cases and I want to re-establish the

link.

Thanks

Mícheál

• 9. Re: Lost folders
                          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

It is possible you exported "Copies" and did not have the check box ticked- [Add to Catalog]

It is not necessary to keep all derivative JPGs in folders that consume disk space, when you can always do the Export from the original in Lightroom at any time. (Virtual Copies can preserve different versions of the original for export)

If the 'some folders' are not shown in Lightroom, you could Right-click a 'master' folder and do a [Synchronize Folder]. This should restore all folders and images below the 'master'.

I would also be exporting JPGs into the same folder as the original (with Add to Catalog)- that way it sits beside the original (sort by file-name), is easier to find (you are keywording?), folder structure is simpler, you can search by [File Type] to show only JPGs in a folder. But consider the above re "Disk space".

If you want to tidy up your folder structure (moving folders, etc)- you MUST do it all in Lightroom!

• 10. Re: Lost folders
                            Blether12 Level 1

Hello again, and thank you. Comments below yours.