3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2015 4:27 AM by dj_paige

Import Form SD Card

axb-42

I recently purchased a new laptop whose disk capacity is rather low so I also got a 256GB SD card as an external drive that I can carry around without adding bulkiness.

I tried to import the RAW files from this SD card to Lightroom today and notice that instead of linking the Lightroom catalogue straight to the physical photos, Lightroom actually copied these files into the computer first! That defeats the whole purpose of the SD card as an extension drive. Thus, I'm just wondering if there is anyway to turn this copy step off?!

• 1. Re: Import Form SD Card
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

At the top of the import screen you can choose between Add or Copy. Copy is the normal option when working with a SD card. If you change the option to Add you might be able to import them into the catalog without moving them to the hard drive. But, generally speaking, trying to work with images on a SD is not recommended. I have never tried to do it. Try changing the option and see if you can do it. But what are you going to do when the card is full? I just don't think you are going to like trying to work this way. Personally, I think you would be better off getting a USB external hard drive. Yes, it's a little bulkier. But I think you will have a much better workflow.

• 2. Re: Import Form SD Card
            axb-42 Level 1

I actually thought about that but the Add button is greyed out for the SD card... Is there any way to bypass this?

P/s: The SD card is where I store BoxSync so I can access file on cloud. Its capacity is very decent (256 GB) so I'm too concerned at the moment.

• 3. Re: Import Form SD Card
              dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom needs to have the actual photos on a hard disk or network disk, and not on a removable and temporary disk like an SD card.

So the idea of keeping the photos on the SD card probably won't work with Lightroom.