13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2015 5:05 AM by Wicali

Numbering in header text but not in main text

Wicali

Hi, I would like to get my chapters and section in my headertext WITH numbering.

This is what I want:

Header text on left (master)page of document page:  

Example:  45              1.MyTitle

And on the right (master) of document page:

Example: 46                1.1 My section title

In my document I don't use numbering for titles and sections. I want this be expressed in the headertext.

Any tips to accomplish this?

I have used textvariables but it doesn't work yet. Section title and Chapter title works but the numbering gets stuck. I only see 1 or 1.1. And yes, the option: continue with numbering is checked.

• 1. Re: Numbering in header text but not in main text
          Wicali Level 1

B.t.w. the numbers 45 and 46 are my pagenumbers.

• 2. Re: Numbering in header text but not in main text
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Are you applying the numbering to your headers? I don't think that should work (well, you already found out). The 'numbering' only gets applied once, on your master page.

You can try this: manually add the numbering to the titles in the main text and apply a character style that hides it: font size 1pt, horizontal text width 1%, text color "None" should do it. Since character styles are not copied along in text variables, the text will appear with the number.

Unfortunately, I misremembered and was sure that "Include paragraph numbering" was an option in Text Variables – but it isn't! That means you indeed have to manually type the numbers before each header, or have them automatically added but then convert all of them to plain text.

Almost forgot to mention: you can automatically apply the HideMe character style in your Headings paragraph style with either a nested style or a GREP style.

• 3. Re: Numbering in header text but not in main text
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Does automatic numbering work for the header if you override to the document page?

• 4. Re: Numbering in header text but not in main text
                Wicali Level 1

I have found this video also quite interesting.

I think it explains what I want to do. Maybe I have to make the numbers in the maindocument invisible but everything else should be the same. Anyway it looks good.

Indesign Header / Running Headline with Numbering (CS5) - YouTube

• 5. Re: Numbering in header text but not in main text
                  Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

A very quick tip to include numbering into a header:

Doubling the auto-numbering in an invisible anchored text block [playing with a simple regex to add it] and insert a second variable based on it on the master page!

When the layout is ok, just convert this invisible auto-numbering in text!

Capture d’écran 2015-11-27 à 11.53.07.png

Capture d’écran 2015-11-27 à 11.54.39.png

• 6. Re: Numbering in header text but not in main text

… but I truly prefer the "royal" way!  Power Headers, written by Gabe Harbs, from in-tools.com!

Power Headers | in-tools.com

… Simply simple, perfect, awesome and amazing!  Thanks!

Capture d’écran 2015-11-27 à 14.50.56.png

Capture d’écran 2015-11-27 à 14.51.14.png

• 7. Re: Numbering in header text but not in main text
                      Wicali Level 1

Still not working :-(

I have created a crossreference after my chapterheading. I see on screen (with hidden character view turned on):

/4. 

I hoped the slash would end the nested style, but it is also shown in my headertext.

At the moment I see in my headertext:

4. Chaptertitle 4.

Which should be 4. Chaptertitle.

I am bit confused why the second 4. shows up. As in the videolink I posted it doesn't  show up this way.

I am not even sure if it can work this way as I don't have chapternumbering in my text. Only in the headertext.

• 8. Re: Numbering in header text but not in main text

Hi,

As the "numbering" variable is based on a specific "numbering" char style, change the color option: none.

Luckylion's tip is clever [as I said a year ago, see my comment on YouTube!] but its main flaw is that you need to insert manually the cross-references!

On a big book with hundreds of titles …! 

• 9. Re: Numbering in header text but not in main text
                          Wicali Level 1

Problem with cross references is that it is designed (as I understand right now) to place text from one place to another. And as far as I know, it is not possible to change the look of the text of the  'other place'.

As I don't have numbers in my chapterheaders, I can't work with cross references either to place the numbers in my headertext. I could use crossreferences if I could make the character invisible in my text, but as said: I don't know any way to make it visible in my headertext on the masterpage.

So I think this solution of Lucky Lion doesn't work in my case.

Powerheaders might be interesting but I prefer a free solution.  Your quick tip might do the job.

So I have create some rectangle before each chapter in the margin, and use here the numbering and make it invisible, and let is show in the headertext on the masterpage.

I have to play with it.

• 10. Re: Numbering in header text but not in main text

Free solutions aren't often good ways to win time!

Power Headers is too powerful to try to economize some dollars (or euros).

Imagine that I did what you mean in less than 2 minutes! 

… and imagine what It could do: it allows you to insert char styles, directly or as nested/grep styles, play with them. It's powerfully based on Grep too. You can play with multi-lines headers, …

The limit of Power Headers ? … The lack of imagination!    I totally love it!

• 11. Re: Numbering in header text but not in main text

Sample:

14 Chapters | Auto-numbering on Chapter/Title 1 para styles | One color per chapter | Sometimes, headers with 2 lines, specific "cut" or "…" | text part with superscript, italic, bold Italic and small caps.

Left page header: Chapter number + Chapter text

Right page header: Title 1 number + Title 1 text (complete or partial)

Good luck! … You have 10 minutes to make the headers on a 1,000 pages book!

I assure you: a breeze! Christmas soon!

I forgot: no header on Chapter page and blank page!  Of course, one master double-page! …

• 12. Re: Numbering in header text but not in main text
                                Wicali Level 1

Still not working :-(

Here again what I want:

Header text on left (master)page of document page:  

Example:  45              1.MyTitle

45 is the pagenumber and I want the 1. in my headertext. But not in the chapter titles of my document.

And on the right (master) of document page:

Example: 46                1.1 My section title

I followed the stuff of the video of LuckyLion.

I always get a crossreference show up in my headertext. So I get this on the right page:

1.1 My Title 1.1

I can make the characterstyle of the crossreference invisible but then this seciond 1.1 in my headertext didn't go away.

I have created the crossreference with a nested style. This is important, as said by LuckyLion otherwise the crossreference shows up in after Title.

But that's the exact case with me: It still shows up. 

• 13. Re: Numbering in header text but not in main text
                                  Wicali Level 1

Oh my god, This was very confusing. He (LuckyLion) changes all of his book titles to character line, so he can manipulate it better in the header of the book.

I listened better now to 1.06 and 1.35 in the video.

It seems to work finally. At least one step further.