11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2015 10:35 AM by Brett N

Lightroom now so slow that I cannot even use it.

TrevJel

I can not use Lightroom because everytime I move the mouse a colour spinning wheel appears and I can not do a thing. Please help

• 1. Re: Lightroom now so slow that I cannot even use it.
          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi TrevJel,

Greetings!!!

What is the version of Lightroom ?

Also share the operating system info.

Regards

Jitendra

• 2. Re: Lightroom now so slow that I cannot even use it.
            habanr Level 1

Hi,

I've the same experience and problems. I've notebook HP DV7-7020 with Intel Core i7-3610QM, 8GB memory, 640GB WD Black storage and Logitech Wireless Performance mouse MX. With Lightroom 6.1 there were no performance issues, I've skipped 6.2 because of the number of bugs and finally installed 6.3 as it be considered as repaired as safe version. Big mistake. Now during photo edit of CR2 files from Canon 7d mark ii, CPU is working hard and the GUI isn't working fluently. Sliders sometimes don't react, the worst thing is ALT+slider move (to tune detail in a gray mode) - slider simply doesn't follow the mouse pointer and image is color instead of gray (if ALT is pressed). Sometimes GUI consider two mouse successive clicks with distance about 3 seconds as double click, sometimes GUI considers as a click dragging of image e.g. 1:1 resolution mode so it switches to window fit resolution. GPU is disabled of course...

As SW developer it seems to me that because of heavy impact of your wrongly optimized algorithms on CPU, Lightroom delays and looses mouse events.

Please give us an option to define Lightroom affinity to CPU cores, so we could leave at least one CPU core for basic Windows services to operate correctly ...

• 3. Re: Lightroom now so slow that I cannot even use it.
              TrevJel Level 1

Hi Jitendra, I decided that my old iMac which is fairly old might be due to be upgraded because it may be the cause of all my problems, how wrong was I. I purchased a new iMac today and downloaded the latest version of LR and to my horror the issue remains the same, spinning beachball with every movement of the mouse. Three and a half grand for a new computer, 10 bucks a month for software that I can't use, if my wife finds out I may as well go hang myself . Photography is my passion, LR & PS changed everything for me turning me from a happy snapper into an artist (IMHO), they are the tools of the trade so please sort out this problem I don't want to have learn how to use different editing software. PS, El Capitan is the OS on both of my computers.

• 4. Re: Lightroom now so slow that I cannot even use it.
                Keith_Reeder Level 4

TrevJel wrote:

so please sort out this problem

Nobody knows what your problem is yet, Trev - we just know the symptoms as they apply to you.

Have you tried disabling your GPU? That seems to help with a lot of performance issues.

What kind of monitor are you using?

And which version of Lightroom?

ASK- Forum Success Guide: Efficiently using the forums

• 5. Re: Lightroom now so slow that I cannot even use it.
                  TrevJel Level 1

I don't know how to disable the GPU, it an 27" iMac 5k and the latest version of LR

• 6. Re: Lightroom now so slow that I cannot even use it.
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Go into the LR perferences and then the Performance tab and turn off the option to "Use Graphics Processor". See if that helps.

• 7. Re: Lightroom now so slow that I cannot even use it.
                      TrevJel Level 1

Thanks but it did not help. I was able to move the mouse around a bit more without the beachball appearing but as soon as I adjust a slider or make any adjustments including trying to quit LR the beachball just goes on and on. Still in limbo.

• 8. Re: Lightroom now so slow that I cannot even use it.
                        Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

This is clearly a problem with your system. Sorry I don't what is wrong with your system but it certainly isn't a LR problem. I'm running the latest version of LR on 2 4+ year old Windows 7 computers, one notebook and one desktop, and don't see any slowness. I also have LR 5 installed on both those systems and LR CC/6 is just as fast.

Check Activity Monitor for processes that are sucking the live out of your Mac.

• 9. Re: Lightroom now so slow that I cannot even use it.
                          Brett N Adobe Employee

If you did a direct transfer of files from the old computer to the new, you may have just brought the behavior over.

The first thing to try is to create a new, blank catalog for Lightroom and see if the behavior continues there.

Next, create a new user account and see if the behavior continues there.

• 10. Re: Lightroom now so slow that I cannot even use it.
                            TrevJel Level 1

HI Brett, I did not do a direct transfer because I wanted to avoid dragging any issues over to the new iMac, I did down load a new version of LR but I did try and edit a photo I had issues with on the old computer. I tried to edit a new photo and everything was fine for a while then things started to slow down near the end of my edit and the beach ball started spinning and staying on longer with each adjustment. My file are large raw from canon 5dsr, I can put up with it slowing when I've nearly completed my edits but it would be nice if it all work as it should. Thanks.

• 11. Re: Lightroom now so slow that I cannot even use it.
                              Brett N Adobe Employee

If things slow down as you edit, check out the information here: Performance hints. There is an optimized order of operations when it comes to editing.