22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2015 9:54 AM by Jao vdL

how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins

jaimeclaure

days ago I was successful workflow with Lightroom charming, but after some tweaks for improve lightroom performance and editing an image with Macphun Focus plugin when exporting in jpg I realized this problem, now all my exports are too lousy working with and without the plugin.

In some sites suggest delete catalog file but this also delete my presets too? then what you can suggest me ...

How we can improve better exports results in JPG?, TIFF?

I can't continue working if all my JPG export are of such low quality, that means files less than two megabytes!

Please I hope you can help.

• 1. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

File size is not an indicator of image quality, pixel dimensions are.

Do your exports look bad, or is it just the file size you're concerned about?

Please post a screenshot of your export settings.

And don't delete the catalog - you'll lose all your edits.

• 2. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
            dj_paige Level 9

In some sites suggest delete catalog file but this also delete my presets too? then what you can suggest me ...

This has nothing to do with export quality. A complete waste of time.

now all my exports are too lousy working with and without the plugin.

Explain in photographic terms what is "lousy" about your exports, or better yet show us a screen capture of how the photo appears in Lightroom and another screen capture of how the photo appears outside of Lightroom. What software are you using to view your photo outside of Lightroom.

I can't continue working if all my JPG export are of such low quality, that means files less than two megabytes!

The fact that your photos are less than 2 megabytes does not imply poor quality or "lousy". The number of megabytes does not provide information about the quality of the export. If you look at the photo that is exported, is the quality visually poor?

• 3. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are your export settings? Per is completely correct that if you are using jpeg that file size is only weakly correlated with quality so ignore the file size. Just look at the image to see if it looks bad or not. My guess is that you are simply not controlling the export settings correctly and getting bad results because of that.

• 4. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
                jaimeclaure Level 1

attached these screenshots of the current settings in Lightroom, as I mentioned before some modifications to improve performance lightroom but this ruined my export results, hope it can serve to find the problem

Captura de pantalla 2015-11-27 a las 12.51.02 p.m..jpgCaptura de pantalla 2015-11-27 a las 12.51.22 p.m..jpgCaptura de pantalla 2015-11-27 a las 12.51.30 p.m..jpgCaptura de pantalla 2015-11-27 a las 12.51.40 p.m..jpgCaptura de pantalla 2015-11-27 a las 12.54.12 p.m..jpgCaptura de pantalla 2015-11-27 a las 12.54.51 p.m..jpgCaptura de pantalla 2015-11-27 a las 12.55.39 p.m..jpgCaptura de pantalla 2015-11-27 a las 12.55.47 p.m..jpgCaptura de pantalla 2015-11-27 a las 12.51.15 p.m..jpg

• 5. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
                  dj_paige Level 9

Change "espacio de color" to sRGB.

Also, you haven't described exactly what you see that is "lousy" quality. Please describe.

• 6. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
                    jaimeclaure Level 1

export lousy.. I mean for me when pixels are affected losing information his file decreases larger sizes to 10 mb to a range between 800 kb and 2 mb, if we add a workflow with plugins file decreases much more and thus still greater loss of information, there is something wrong in the export

Captura de pantalla 2015-11-27 a las 1.17.40 p.m..jpg

• 7. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
                      dj_paige Level 9

You are misinterpreting the megabytes. These do not have anything to do with quality. You cannot judge quality by looking at megabytes. And so I say to you that your exports are probably correct (in fact, I have never seen a case where Lightroom didn't give you the proper export you wanted as specified in the Export dialog box).

You need to instead look at megaPIXELS and you MUST look at the exported photo and see if the quality is acceptable.

I mean for me when pixels are affected losing information

You are not losing pixels. Megabytes doesn't tell you about how many pixels are in your photo. Using the export settings you chose, you do not lose pixels, if you have (for example) 10 million pixels in your photo before export, you have 10 million pixels in your photo after export.

• 8. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins

View the original and the exported jpg side by side at 100%.

Do you see a difference in quality?

It is normal for a jpg to have a file size that is 10% or even 5% of the original, but it can also be 20 or 30%.

The file size will vary with the subject matter - a file with large flat areas and little detail will be small, and a file with lots of detail and high contrast will be large.

As we all have told you: Forget about the file size.

• 9. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins

Here's two files exported as jpg with the exact same Export settings. (1000px long side, Quality 60)

Because of the subject matter, the first file is 97 kb, the second 223 kb.

rju_2015-05-14_022.jpg

97 kb

rju_2015-09-14_049-HDR.jpg

223 kb

• 10. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
                            jaimeclaure Level 1

I understand your point, but often in print and contest can't work with file sizes around 1mb. You recommend adjustments to restore export settings (did a restore to defaults did not work)

• 11. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
                              dj_paige Level 9

I understand your point, but often in print and contest can't work with file sizes around 1mb.

Well, this sounds like absurd nonsense, but I am aware that certain contest rules have absurd requirements on megabytes such as this one. Nevertheless, this statement does not imply that the quality of your exports is "lousy". You are getting the export you requested from Lightroom.

• 12. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
                                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It would be nice to see a sample of what you consider to be "lousy". But I believe that you must be doing something wrong in your export settings. If I take a compressed DNG file from a 24 MP camera and export it as a JPEG image, full quality, the file size ranges between 9-10 MB. I realize that file size doesn't tell everything because a lot depends on the content of the image. But you need to review your export settings, I believe.

• 13. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
                                  jaimeclaure Level 1

Please could you tell me which are the best to get better results when you export your images in jpg settings. I have a Nikon D90, edited with lightroom ground and now with Macphun Focus plugin, once completed all edition when exporting in jpg I would get a decent result as you mentioned, before he got it but something changed, I do not know how I can reverse or adjust settings, that's the help I need. Thank you

• 14. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins

Could it be that what you are referring to as "lousy" is the colors?

I see from your screenshot that you are exporting with the ProPhoto profile. That will certainly lead to muted / desaturated colors when viewing the image in non-color managed applications. You should export using the sRGB color space, which will avoid this problem.

The ProPhoto color space is only meant as an editing space, and should not be used for general exporting.

• 15. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
                                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jaimeclaure wrote:

Please could you tell me which are the best to get better results when you export your images in jpg settings. I have a Nikon D90, edited with lightroom ground and now with Macphun Focus plugin, once completed all edition when exporting in jpg I would get a decent result as you mentioned, before he got it but something changed, I do not know how I can reverse or adjust settings, that's the help I need. Thank you

What is "Lightroom ground"? And I have never used the plug-in that you mention. I just took a look at the website for the plug-in. One of the features of the plug-in is that it has built-in social sharing. I'm wondering if maybe you have something selected in the plug-in that is preparing your images for sharing on the Internet and therefore reducing them in size. It's just a wild guess because I don't have any knowledge of the plug-in.

• 16. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
                                        dj_paige Level 9

jaimeclaure wrote:

You have provided us screen captures of your dialog boxes, but you refuse to show us the "lousy" quality by showing us a screen capture of your exported photo. If you're not going to do that, we probably can't help you.

• 17. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
                                          dj_paige Level 9

jaimeclaure wrote:

You have shown us a screen capture of your dialog boxes, but despite several requests, you have not shown us a screen capture of the "lousy" quality exported photos. if you're not going to do that, we probably can't help you.

Way back in reply #5 in this thread, you were advised to try exporting with color space sRGB. You apparently have not tried that. If you're not going to try what we are advising, we can't help you.

It seems as if you haven't read or understood anything we have said so far. Again, we can't help you in that situation.

• 18. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
                                            jaimeclaure Level 1

Captura de pantalla 2015-11-28 a las 7.44.24 p.m..jpgCaptura de pantalla 2015-11-28 a las 7.46.04 p.m..jpg

thanks for your patience, apologize for the term 'lousy' I din't want to refer just that but to the data lost by reducing the file weight, show them exported to these settings file, it may improve results?

Captura de pantalla 2015-11-28 a las 7.49.49 p.m..jpg

• 19. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins

Your export setiings are perfectly all right, and the difference in file size is, as we have tried to explain to you, perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about.

If you want to compare the quality of the jpg and the tiff, you have to do it at 100% magnification.

• 20. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins

Those images are visually identical. The thing to remember is that jpeg is always lossy. It removes information that is not visible to the human eye and brain. This is why you need to visually inspect the image to know that it came out well if you use jpeg. You need to ignore the file size as it is NOT an indicator of quality. Usually it is impossible to see a difference above quality 85. This means that all the information that is visually important is retained but that you were able to compress the file by an enormous amount. Images that have very little noise are easier to compress and often become really small. You shot this in broad daylight apparently so you must have used low ISO and adequate exposure. This causes the image to have almost no noise, which makes it very easy to compress using the jpeg algorithm. Also if you have large out-of-focus areas like you have here in the bokeh areas, you will not need a lot of file size to encode those. These two factors conspire to make the jpeg file size small. In this case, I would probably go down to quality 85 and get an even smaller file that will be just as high visual quality.

Counterintuitively to a lot of people, if you have images that are very high quality with very little noise, your jpeg files become smaller at the same quality setting than if you shoot the same image at high ISO and with a lot of noise. So in that case, the smaller jpeg will be much higher quality than the larger jpeg! This is simply because file size at a fixed jpeg quality setting is really a measure of the complexity of the visual material in the image. Noise is the most complex material you can have in any image and it tends to increase the jpeg filesize.

• 21. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins
                                                  jaimeclaure Level 1

Thank you very much for the explanation of the effect on noise and bokeh for the jpeg algorithm, will take in mind.

1. what format you saved your backup images ready to print in TIFF? png? jpg?

2. I would like start lightroom with factory settings, but without reinstall, so my question is, if deleting my catalog, my presets be lost?

3. what plugins you recommend for improve focus/bokeh, noiseless, fix areas, HDR?

4. it's advisable to edit the images separately without using bridges by plugins as attached image

Captura de pantalla 2015-11-29 a las 10.33.56 a.m..jpg

• 22. Re: how fix low quality exports after some performance improvements and work with plugins

Jaime,

1. I don't. I keep my raw images in my Lightroom catalog and export new jpegs when I need them for printing. Every time I print it is different because the size is different, the printing technology is different, the color space requirement is different, etc. etc. Since the best file is the raw original anyway, it makes no sense to keep copies around.

2. The presets are normally stored separate from the catalog file, so deleting the catalog will not restore to factory defaults. You can restore lightroom defaults using the buttons in Preferences->Presets, or you can delete the preferences file. I doubt there is any need to go back to complete defaults though. Better to learn what the different settings do.

3. None. I don't use any plugins and I have not seen a need for any. The denoising in Lightroom is more than good enough for me. I dislike unnatural HDR deeply but I love the tools in Lightroom which give very natural results. I've heard good stuff about the new MacPhun AuroraHDR software that can act as a plugin in Lightroom but haven't tried it. One of the major disadvantages of using ANY editing plugin in Lightroom is that you lose the nondestructiveness of the workflow which is one main reason why I avoid it.

4. I only use Photoshop as an external editor. I don't think there is any advantage/disadvantage to going through the plugin route or through the external editor route.