15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 4:11 AM by roundsk

Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting

perfektpik

I am trying to develop a RAW file shot n Pentax K-3 II with "Pixel Shifting" enabled in Lightroom 6.3 desktop version (Camera Raw 9.3)  and I see the picture distorted (appears that Lightroom is not reading the file correctly). When I open the same file in Preview (on Mac) and Pentax supplied software it works just fine. Is Pixel Shifting supported on Lightroom currently or should I wait for an update? Any pointers would help. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2015-11-26 at 10.50.05 AM.png

• 1. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting
          deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

Hi,

May i know is this happening with all the files.

Go to the preferences of the Lightroom and under the preset tab un-check the option which says "Apply auto Tone adjusment"

and re import the image into the lightroom.

Try this and check if this helps you out.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting
            perfektpik Level 1

I have tried with two different shots one PEF and another DNG and both have same issue. The setting for "Apply auto Tone adjusment" is already unchecked. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting
              deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

I have sent you a private message.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting
                perfektpik Level 1

After some interaction via private message it appears that there is potentially a bug in Lightroom. However, no response on resolution for last couple of months. So, trying to re-initiate the thread for any help.

• 5. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There hasn’t been an update to ACR other than ACR 9.3.1 since your original post in November.  Maybe the issue will be fixed in the next version that hasn’t been released, yet, or maybe it hasn’t been figured out.  I doubt anyone will post internal info on a public thread, though, so you’ll just have to wait for the next release and see if it’s fixed.  Releases are approximately every three months.  As long as the PM discussion included a sample image for Adobe to test with then they have something to work with, unless they said they had one from somewhere else and didn’t need a sample image from you.

• 6. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting
                    perfektpik Level 1

Well, the person I was interacting with over PM has not responded for the past two months after mentioning that the problem could be reproduced (not gonna include full PM conversation here). So, my only option is to each out to this forum if someone else has found any resolution. Thanks.

• 7. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting

If Adobe reproduced the problem then that’s as far as they can tell you.   You’ll have to wait until the next version of ACR comes out to see if it works.  Adobe doesn’t give progress on bugs to the public.

• 8. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting
                        perfektpik Level 1

Thanks for the response.  I will wait for the next update. BTW, when I try to open a support ticket Adobe basically pushed me to forums and their policy is not to disclose bug status to public. As a customer who paid for the product, don't I deserve to know what is going on with issues? This is unheard of to me.

• 9. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting

Adobe has a billion-dollar market capitalization and discussing bugs (or anything else) in public can affect the stock price (and therefore Adobe’s financial resources, ability to pay people, develop new products, etc) if the discussion includes any indication of problems in fixing the bugs, so they keep things quiet.   Adobe having reproduced the problem is a good sign, though, if they have any intent of supporting those multi-shot-shift images at all, then I’d guess it’d work in again in a future release.

• 10. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting
                            perfektpik Level 1

Well, I suppose a multi billion dollar company knows how to communicate to their customers who actually the reason for them being a multi billion dollar company. What really surprises me that I was kept in suspense for last two months and now I hear that I should simply wait until multi billion dollar company releases an update. Whatever.

• 11. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting

The PM person told you what they knew to be true, that they’d reproduced the issue.  They couldn’t promise it would be fixed in the next release or give you any other information about the process to fix it or tell you when it might be fixed, etc, and they chose not to tell you what they couldn’t tell you, because then they’d be inviting a conversation like we’re having now, and that’s not really their place to communicate with the public.   You don’t gain insider privilege status just because you paid for a product or because you found an issue and had a PM conversation with someone at Adobe.   That happens after you’ve been invited to be a beta tester and have signed a non-disclosure agreement.

I am not disagreeing that everyone who reports an issue would like to be told everything about that issue, but they can’t be.  A privately-held company would be freer to discuss such things.

• 12. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting
                                perfektpik Level 1

You are totally misinterpreting what I was looking for. I am not interested in your inside politics or processes because I have paid for you product. I was simply looking for a response that would give me an idea about the issue that i was facing with your product. I am not gonna share my conversation happened via PM but I was never told that it was actually considered as bug and be available in future update until today when you started giving me lecture about how Adobe is a multi billion company and other stuff which I totally not interested in. If Adobe is sincere in helping out me with then I would expect a simple response. I do not appreciate your tone in this matter and hope somebody higher up in your organization chain are looking into this conversation. I am totally disappointed in Adobe.

• 13. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting

You found a problem with their software, notified them via the forums, they replicated the issue, and they will choose if and when to fix it, without notifying you.

You are making this personal, wanting personal attention/help because you found the problem, and are upset they haven’t given you that personal attention.  The problem you reported is affecting everyone with that camera who use it in the way you do and they will fix it if and when they choose, and that potential fix will be provided to everyone who has the camera, not just yourself.  It’s not personal, even if you want it to be.

• 14. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting
                                    perfektpik Level 1

No, you chose to twist and spin and lecture back to me and you have no right to do that whatsoever. If I really wanted to this personal and wanted attention I wouldn't have waited two months for response. And you don't know all the background and you have no right to lecture me. This is ugly. I am ignoring you and Adobe. Good Bye.

• 15. Re: Pentax K-3 II Pixel Shifting
                                      roundsk Level 1

I don't know if this will help, but it worked for me. I have Lr 5.7 with 8.7 camera raw & it won't accept the newest Camera Raw version 9.3, but I downloaded DNG converter 9.5 & converted my DNG camera raw files to DNG & the photos taken with Pixel shift were noticeably clearer than the original file both viewed in Lr. Lr 5.7 is not supposed to handle pixel shift, but with the converted DNG it does! Hope that helps.