4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2016 6:10 AM by Toto RoToTO

Installing hybrid extensions through Creative Cloud 2015

car-desl

Hi

After endless attempts to find a resolution to this issue by crawling through articles and google searches, I'm hoping someone out there can give me some helpful pointers to getting a hybrid plug-in to install through Creative Cloud or by using the command line tool exmancmd. I've read many articles which seem similar, non seem to be suggesting anything concrete as a solution.

We have a commercial plug-in that was after many years in a stable position to be installed using Extension Manager, supporting Illustrator versions from CS5 through to CC2014 until CC2015 came along, and without Extension Manager meaning we seem to be at square one again arghhhhh. Now our customers are less than happy and this particular issue is starting to get very irritating .

So basically, we historically compile a zxp file using Flash Builder using Extension Manager. This works, and doesn't seem to complain about making an extension for Illustrator CC 2015 either. We bundle our .aip files into the ZXP, and specify the relevant versions and targets in the mxi file. Using Extension Manager for CS5,6 and CC2014 the zxp will install our flash files, and place the aip into the Plug-ins folder of Illustrator. However, it does not do the same for Illustrator CC 2015 using the exmancmd tool; the flash files install (CSXS) but the .aip file is nowhere to be seen.

I perhaps thought that the exmancmd was to blame after all the combinations attempted with the .mxi file contents, so attempted to publish through Adobe Exchange. Got the .zxp file to publish, and installed back down to the PC through Creative Cloud only to find it's done the same thing. The flash (swf) files have installed, no sign of the .aip file in the plug-ins folder however. I have spent hours testing different combinations and options, resulting in the same outcome.

Here's the mxi contents I have:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>

<macromedia-extension id="net.ai.bom" name="net.ai.bom" requires-restart="true" version="36.9.2">

<author name="blah blah etc"/>

<description><![CDATA[<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;charset=UTF-8">

]]></description>

<license-agreement/>

<products>

<product familyname="Illustrator" primary="true" version="17.0"/>

<product familyname="Illustrator" primary="true" version="18.0"/>

<product familyname="Illustrator" primary="true" version="19.0"/>

<product familyname="Illustrator" primary="true" version="19.1"/>

</products>

<files>

<file destination="$plugin" file-type="plugin"  minVersion="17.0" platform="win" products="Illustrator,Illustrator32" source="cc_x32/AI.aip"/>

<file destination="$plugin" file-type="plugin"  minVersion="17.0" platform="win" products="Illustrator,Illustrator64" source="cc_x64/AI.aip"/>

<file destination="$plugin" shared="true" file-type="plugin"  minVersion="17.0" platform="mac" products="Illustrator" source="mac_cc_x64/AI.aip"/>

<file destination="" file-type="CSXS" products="" source="BOM.zxp"/>

</files>

</macromedia-extension>

The fact that I have not been able to get this working through either the command line installer or Creative Cloud suggests I'm doing something wrong, but looking through the resources on the Adobe website I can't see anything obvious. From the mxi content above, the CSXS section installs but the $plugin ones do not. It is even accepted through Adobe Exchange, validates and publishes stating it's supporting Illustrator CC 2015........

If anyone has got any ideas, or suggestions I would be very happy to hear them. I would much prefer to see our product being delivered through Creative Cloud rather than us developing our own installation method.

Thanks in advance for any responses

Craig

• 1. Re: Installing hybrid extensions through Creative Cloud 2015
          PXC Level 2

Hi

I would change the <products> section into:

<products>

<product familyname="Illustrator" version="17" maxversion="19.9" primary="true" platform="mac"/>

<product name="Illustrator32" version="17" maxversion="19.9" primary="true" platform="win" bit="32"/>

<product name="Illustrator64" version="17" maxversion="19.9" primary="true" platform="win" bit="64"/>

</products>

and <files> into:

<files>

<file destination="" file-type="CSXS" products="" source="BOM.zxp"/>

<file destination="$plugin" platform="mac" products="Illustrator" minVersion="17" maxVersion="17.9" source="./mac_cc_x64/AI.aip"/>

<file destination="$plugin" platform="mac" products="Illustrator" minVersion="18" maxVersion="18.9" source="./mac_cc_x64/AI.aip"/>

<file destination="$plugin" platform="mac" products="Illustrator" minVersion="19" maxVersion="19.9" source="./mac_cc_x64/AI.aip"/>

<file destination="$plugin" platform="win32" products="Illustrator32" minVersion="17" maxVersion="17.9" source="./cc_x32/AI.aip"/>

<file destination="$plugin" platform="win64" products="Illustrator64" minVersion="17" maxVersion="17.9" source="./cc_x64/AI.aip"/>

<file destination="$plugin" platform="win32" products="Illustrator32" minVersion="18" maxVersion="18.9" source="./cc_x32/AI.aip"/>

<file destination="$plugin" platform="win64" products="Illustrator64" minVersion="18" maxVersion="18.9" source="./cc_x64/AI.aip"/>

<file destination="$plugin" platform="win32" products="Illustrator32" minVersion="19" maxVersion="19.9" source="./cc_x32/AI.aip"/>

<file destination="$plugin" platform="win64" products="Illustrator64" minVersion="19" maxVersion="19.9" source="./cc_x64/AI.aip"/>

</files>

• 2. Re: Installing hybrid extensions through Creative Cloud 2015
            LeoTaro Level 4

Have you tried on several different machines and do you get the same result on each?

We use the command line tools for installing and it works for CC 2015 most of the time.

The main differences between our mxi and yours are we specify a min version in the products section (I doubt this has any effect):

<products>

<product familyname="Illustrator" primary="true" version="16" minversion="16"/>

</products>

The other difference is that we install to a subdirectory of the Plug-ins folder, so in the file spec would be for example:

<file destination="$plugin/Extensions" file-type="plugin"  minVersion="17.0" platform="win" products="Illustrator,Illustrator32" source="cc_x32/AI.aip"/>

<file destination="$plugin/Extensions" file-type="plugin"  minVersion="17.0" platform="win" products="Illustrator,Illustrator64" source="cc_x64/AI.aip"/>

<file destination="$plugin/Extensions.localized" shared="true" file-type="plugin"  minVersion="17.0" platform="mac" products="Illustrator" source="mac_cc_x64/AI.aip"/>

If it installs the flash files but not the aip for CC 2015 on every machine, then it might be that CC 2015 does not support installing to the main Plug-ins folder.

We have had about 30 CC 2015 installs using the above settings and on 3 machines the install failed. On two machines the command line tools didn't recognise that CC 2015 was installed at all (ExManCmd --list all). On the other machine they did the same as you are seeing, i.e. installed the flash files but not the aip.

• 3. Re: Installing hybrid extensions through Creative Cloud 2015
              LeoTaro Level 4

Just had another thought. You are using the latest version of CC 2015 aren't you? There were issues with the earlier versions that caused the command line tools to only install part of a hybrid extension (can't remember if it was the aip or flash part that was missing).

• 4. Re: Installing hybrid extensions through Creative Cloud 2015
                Toto RoToTO Level 3

This is a well known bug. C++ plugins are not copied in the plugins directory.

We are still waiting for Adobe to fix it! ASAP!

Plan B is to make your own installer for c++ plugins.

Thomas.