5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2015 6:02 PM by rbatey

change order of metadata panel

rbatey

Is there a way to change the order of the metadata listed in the Metadata Panel? I would like to put some of the metadata fields that are most relevant to me at the top of the panel.

I would also like to be to create my own custom fields. It would be really helpful if Lightroom, or a third party plugin, could do this.

• 1. Re: change order of metadata panel
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi rbatey,

Please refer this link to create your own custom metadata presets : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 * Create and apply metadata presets

• 2. Re: change order of metadata panel
            rbatey Level 1

Hello Chetna thanks for your reply. Applying a metadata preset is not exactly what I am wanting to do. Let me see if I can rephrase my question to be more clear.

I already apply a metadata preset on import, with all my copyright info. When I view the metadata in the Metadata Panel i would like to see the items listed in a different order.

I also want to be able to add information about the photo that doesn't necessarily belong in the Caption field. For instance, I would like to be able to add a field called Notes (and possibly others) and have it show up at the top of the list.

So do you know of a way (in LR or with third party plug in) to 1> add custom fields and 2. reorder the list of metadata in the Metadata Panel?

• 3. Re: change order of metadata panel
              Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Thanks for the update.

There is no such way to list items under Metadata in a different order or to add your own custom items.

I am not aware of any such third party plugin.
              May be someone else who has used any such plugin can help you with this.

Or, you can fill in Adobe feature request form to request for such feature within Lightroom : Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 4. Re: change order of metadata panel
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

This plugin will let you define your own custom metadata tagsets, to show the metadata fields you choose, in the order you choose: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Metadata-Viewer Preset Editor” Lightroom Plugin

I also want to be able to add information about the photo that doesn't necessarily belong in the Caption field. For instance, I would like to be able to add a field called Notes (and possibly others) and have it show up at the top of the list.

The easiest way to do that is to use existing metadata fields that you aren't using.  E.g. EXIF:User Comment or IPTC:Instructions.   Those fields will automatically expand as you type more into them.  The advantage of using existing fields is that they will get written back to the metadata in the image file as well as be recorded in the catalog.

You can define your own fields without any real programming, but unless you're technically minded, it would be a long learning curve.  Download the free Lightroom SDK and read the guide to the SDK for details.   The free Big Note plugin gives an example of how to do that: http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/lightroom/big-note/.  But note that such custom fields aren't written back to the image file -- their values reside solely in the catalog.

• 5. Re: change order of metadata panel
                  rbatey Level 1

Wow, thanks johnrellis! Good to know about the UserComment exif field. I thought about using it but since it requires scrolling to see the field I was afraid I might forget about it (kind of out-of-sight-out-of-mind). Jeffrey's Metadata Viewer sounds like it might do what I was hoping for. So maybe it would let me use the UserComment field and move it up in the list, while hiding all the unused fields? That would be awesome!

The BigNote plugin sounds useful too, but to be realistic maybe too big a learning curve for what I have time for.

Thanks again for your helpful reply.