Thank You Willi!
Even when running the file blind with the script I get a program crash.
As is the case with these things, the file was fine one moment and now it seems completely broken...
THe reasons can be very different. Without knowing the file it will be impossible to detect the problem. Eg. last week I had a file which crashed always when I started working on it. What I did, I rebuild the same file, step by step and from one moment on it started to crash. Guess hat it was? Bullets! A selected bullet font with character style and automatic bullets caused the crash. Converting bullets in text solved the problem. Sometimes crashes are caused by things, no one would ever consider it as a problem. Is there a way to get the file and to check it?
I have added a copy of the file to Dropbox here: Dropbox - Adobe InDesign file
We were just about at final proof stage via skype when the crash occured. Otherwise I'd just start from scratch (I may still have to of course).
124 pages, low on fonts, probably quite a lot of paragraph styles used though. There are only 23 linked files, which I had already moved.
Last action before crash was trying to delete an image that appeared to rotate instead...
Appreciate any advice, even if it's an honest 'give up trying and get on with it!' (it being to start from scratch, with backups...)
You should always have a back up. Easiest way to avoid this type of thing is work in a Dropbox folder where every version of the document is saved. I wrote this up a a couple of years ago but it still holds:
Thanks Bob. Fair comment, even though it doesn't solve my current issues!
See if you can start a new document. Then place that InDesign file on that page.
Try package the file.
And you will find the file in the packaged folder under links.
Probably won't help.
Another option... Look up batch convert InDesign.
It's a script....you might also look up installing and using scripts in InDesign in case you're not familiar.
With no docs open you can ruin the script. It will ask for an input folder...which is where you InDesign file is located.
And it will ask for an output folder which if you leave blank will be the same location as your original input folder.
Choose file format as InDesign and the the file types to idml.
See if that works.
The only option after that is to contact Markzware to see if the data can be converted.
Sorry for the lack of links...I'm on mobile
Thank You Eugene!!!
I found the batch convert script, but it crashed whilst running the script.
I'm not sure how quick Markzware is, but with the time pressures I may just have to give up trying and get on with re-creating
Placing the file in an empty document results in a crash too... I have a couple of friends who are having a go to opening the file o their computers, but if that fails, I'm all out of ideas! Thanks for the ideas!
The problem seems to be with the imported Word styles, which have some asian formatting. If I attempt to alter or delete the imported styles ID freezes.