7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2015 7:06 PM by johnrellis

Stack counts not visible in filmstrip

jwArtWorks Level 1

For some reason, my virtual copy stack counts do not appear in the filmstrip. I checked the filmstrip view options and "Show Stack Counts" is checked!

• 1. Re: Stack counts not visible in filmstrip
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

You likely have the filmstrip set to be too small -- see this article for how to make it bigger: Lightroom Filmstrip Tips | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Training, Tutorials and Tips

• 2. Re: Stack counts not visible in filmstrip
            jwArtWorks Level 1

Great thought but I made them huge and still no stack info!!!

One more thing I noticed. The buttons for target collection do not work in the filmstrip either. They work in Library Grid mode on the grid but not the filmstrip. If I right-click and add to target collection, it works fine.

• 3. Re: Stack counts not visible in filmstrip

In Library grid mode, do the photos appear stacked?  LR is weird when it comes to stacking.  If you stacked the photos in a folder, the stacking won't show up when you've selected a collection containing the photos as a source.  Conversely, if you've stacked the photos in a collection, the stacking won't show up when you select a folder or All Photographs as the source.

If this doesn't help, please post a full-resolutions screenshot of your LR window.  (You need to come back to the Web to do that -- you can't send it as an email attachment.)

• 4. Re: Stack counts not visible in filmstrip
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

jwArtWorks wrote:

Great thought but I made them huge and still no stack info!!!

One more thing I noticed. The buttons for target collection do not work in the filmstrip either. They work in Library Grid mode on the grid but not the filmstrip. If I right-click and add to target collection, it works fine.

I was just going to post the same info as above. Stacked in a folder, no stacking showing in a collection of the same images. When selecting the the keyword for those same images that are in a collection the stacking shows.

Stacking folder.PNG

Stacking Keyword.PNG

Stacking Collection.PNG

• 5. Re: Stack counts not visible in filmstrip
                  jwArtWorks Level 1

This is a troublesome issue that really needs some resolution. If there are stacked images, they need to show all the time!!!

Thanks john, for your insight.

Thanks shootistbond007 for the same info!

• 6. Re: Stack counts not visible in filmstrip
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The only time it doesn't show the stack count is in a collection and that collection is selected. It then it shows All the Images in that collection. If they were stacked from being sent/edited in PS then it has a different file extension. If they are Virtual Copies then is has the turned down corner with the same file name.

This seems logical to me. In fact IIRC a virtual copy or an Edited image isn't added to a collection unless you specifically add it.

• 7. Re: Stack counts not visible in filmstrip
                      If there are stacked images, they need to show all the time!!!

Unfortunately, Adobe thought differently when they changed the way stacks work in LR 4.  It's a weird design, and I've never seen a justification for it.  But stacks you make in folders aren't visible when you are working in a collection, and stacks you make in a collection aren't visible when you're working in a folder.  

You could add your vote and detailed opinion to this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Stacks should be first-class citizens. That might make it (a little) more likely that Adobe might eventually change the behavior of stacks.  But don't hold your breath -- people have been complaining for five years.