8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2015 6:09 AM by john beardsworth

How to view Lightroom photos remotely

Glasgow Dave

Hi All,

I'm thinking of making the move from Aperture on the Mac to Lightroom. One of the abilities I'd like to have is to be able to view my library of photos over the internet. Currently I store all my photos on my laptop and as many as I can fit on my phone. That way I have them to hand if I want to show friends some photos. Of course, this takes up a lot of storage space on my laptop and on my phone. And, in reality, I don't show all of my photos all too often! So, what I really need is access to the photos if and when I want them.

My preference is to host the photos from my home server rather than from a third party service. So no Dropbox, Flickr or Adobe Cloud for me. Ideally some system that directly references the Lightroom photo library would be good so that I don't have to duplicate all my photos just to share them. Lastly, something automated would be good so that I don't have to manually add photos to the server every time I add something new.

Is this possible? Am I asking too much? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Dave

• 1. Re: How to view Lightroom photos remotely
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The easiest way to do that is to subscribe to the creative cloud photography plan which gives you Lightroom, Photoshop, and enables you to install and use Lightroom Mobile on your mobile devices. Then you create collections on your desktop version of Lightroom and synchronize them with Lightroom Mobile. Any collection that you synchronize will be visible and even editable on your mobile device. The creative cloud photography plan costs $9.99/month US.

• 2. Re: How to view Lightroom photos remotely
            Glasgow Dave Level 1

I don't doubt that the Creative Cloud option is good but, as I said, I'm reluctant to entrust all my photographs to a third party. I'm also reluctant to have an ongoing fee for such a service when I've already invested in my own server.

Dave

• 3. Re: How to view Lightroom photos remotely
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

"Ideally some system that directly references the Lightroom photo library would be good so that I don't have to duplicate all my photos just to share them. Lastly, something automated would be good so that I don't have to manually add photos to the server every time I add something new."

That is what Adobe's CC sync does. Once photos are in a synced collection (album in Aperture-speak), you don't have to do anything more. You can view, even edit them remotely on iOS, Android and in web browsers. This only uploads proxy files or "smart previews" to Adobe, and your originals remain wherever they now are.

• 4. Re: How to view Lightroom photos remotely
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional
                I'm reluctant to entrust all my photographs to a third party

It's a common misconception that your work will be stored "in the cloud" with a CC subscription.

The only diffrerence between standalone and CC is the licensing model. (and with CC you don't have to wait for new features until the next major version is released)

Your work will still be stored locally as before, you do get 2 gb (I think) of storage space in the cloud, but it's entirely up to you if you want to use it or not.

• 5. Re: How to view Lightroom photos remotely
                  Glasgow Dave Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I understand that my original photos are still stored locally with CC. However, a copy (a smart preview) is uploaded. I do not want to upload my photos (or copies thereof) to a third party.

• 6. Re: How to view Lightroom photos remotely

Then there's no obvious way to do what you want. The CC - LrMobile method meets some of your criteria perfectly, exceeding them in some ways, but it runs into your red line of no third parties.

How do files get to your server? Has it a network address? You might look at a published service, choosing the Hard Drive method which can publish, semi-automatically to a folder location.

• 7. Re: How to view Lightroom photos remotely
                      Glasgow Dave Level 1

John, no doubt CC is a good system but sadly doesn't meet my requirements. I have a server machine at home which has a static ip. I don't have any photo serving software installed on it yet. I'm willing to be flexible on the software in order to maximise my options for tying in with Lightroom. I have OwnCloud set up on the server for other reasons. So, for example, it gives possibilities for serving photo galleries if it is provided with photographs appropriately.

• 8. Re: How to view Lightroom photos remotely

Then you will need to investigate the publish service tool which can provide those photos, if not fully automatically.