14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2015 4:19 PM by Peter Spier

In Design crashing on start up

nottusnitram

since downloading the latest updates my In Design is crashing on start up, no reason given, just says windows has encountered a problem and needs to close this program, im running windows 7I

Regret doing these update as Lightroom is crashing as well now, any ideas ? Martin

• 1. Re: In Design crashing on start up
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Log out of the CC app and then log in again so it will update. There was a java bug that has been corrected that might solve your problem.

• 2. Re: In Design crashing on start up
            nottusnitram Level 1

thanks for taking the time to reply Peter. I tried to log out and log in but its made no difference. In fact I tried to open In Design from the cc app and nothing happened, As a test i opened up other apps from the cc app and they opened correctly. Have to say at this stage i am very disappointed with the adobe cc package. As far as i can see these updates are rolled out far too quickly without a thorough test. Back in the day when you bought a software package on CD it loaded first time and worked "as it said on the tin". So far the minor upgrades this year to apps, software call them what you will have caused me nothing but problems and wasted time. At this moment in time I cant use In Design, Lightroom crashes far too often and the "upgrade" to Acrobat was nothing short of a Joke. I can also no longer use Mini Bridge from Photoshop, I will be moving to Capture 1 Pro to replace lightroom but so far have found nothing to replace In Design, but will keep looking, Sorry to take my rant out on you Peter but contacting Adobe has also become a Joke and im afraid you got in the firing line when im at my witts end , Kind Regards Martin

• 3. Re: In Design crashing on start up

If you log onto windows using a different user account does ID work?

• 4. Re: In Design crashing on start up
                nottusnitram Level 1

Peter why would i do that, why should i do that, in my 20 odd years as a windows user i have never had a different user account, however in the interest of "science" i created another user account, hey presto it works, thanks, thats a get out of jail version, by doing that my In Design settings are gone, also i had to log out of the new user account login to my old one to get to my emails to send you this. Please dont get me wrong im so happy ( as is my boss) that i can use In Design but what the heck is going on ? Regards Mart

• 5. Re: In Design crashing on start up

OK, that was a diagnostic test, and it tells us the problem is in the user account not the program. First thing to try in that case is to log in on the original account again and trash the InDesign preferences. See  Replace Your Preferences

• 6. Re: In Design crashing on start up
                    nottusnitram Level 1

do you know what Peter , im sorry but you are totally missing the point here, people are paying good money for this software and they dont need to be wasting time looking through root directories. As it happens i did try to delete the files that were so vaguely pointed out but A) it seems like all previous versions were held, and B I deleted them and C now In Design wont load at all, so im back to square one, please in future advise others on your "upgrades" I for one wont be installing them, i know have to re install once more. i estimate this has cost me around 34 hours work

• 7. Re: In Design crashing on start up
                      nottusnitram Level 1

and in addition your re diagnostic telling you its a problem with my account and not the program is further proof of you not thinking outside of the box, the fact is there was no problem untill adobe provided this "Update" all of the recent updates have caused user problems, this is adobe problem #ADOBE #PROBLEMS #poorcustomerservice

• 8. Re: In Design crashing on start up
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Peter, like most of us, does not work for Adobe. We're here as volunteers trying help.

• 9. Re: In Design crashing on start up

The two preference files that need to be renamed/deleted and the the paths to locate them are hardly "vaguely" described in that link (and there is the alternative, keyboard, method as well), and removing preferences will not prevent InDesign from launching as you've already demonstrated in the new account which had no preference files until you successfully started the program. If InDesign is no longer starting at all then you have most likely removed a program component.

• 10. Re: In Design crashing on start up
                            nottusnitram Level 1

and there lies the problem, I did thank Peter and the apologise for ranting but the fact is Adobe direct customers to these forums instead of providing an ideal customer service platform, thank you peter once more for your help, Adobe your customer service is shite

• 11. Re: In Design crashing on start up

Does InDesign still run in the new account?

• 12. Re: In Design crashing on start up
                                nottusnitram Level 1

In Design now runs, for future updates advice users that they have to delete the app including preferences using windows >control panel >remove programs . I my case updating In Design seems to have cause a conflict buy trying to withhold user preferences , I know its a pain but if your In Design crashes on start up and you are a windows user go back to add/remove programes and make sure you tick the box clear preferences or whatever it says , you will need to renew all your preferences but at least in Design will work thanks to Peter Spiers no thanks at all to adobe who continue to update without checking for bugs

• 13. Re: In Design crashing on start up
                                  nottusnitram Level 1

please read the thread

• 14. Re: In Design crashing on start up

It's not normal, but not uncommon either, to need to restore the preferences after a major change like a program update, but it certainly shouldn't be necessary to remove and reinstall the program to do so. There is something else particular to your system at work here (and for the record, most Windows users have not had any problems with the recent updates other than the Java error I mentioned earlier for Win7). I'm not having any problems her on Windows 7, for example, but I run a pretty lean system.