6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2015 4:08 PM by Just Shoot Me

Drives Scrambled

billb67218162 Level 1

Running Lightroom 6 on a PC, with photos on an external drive and backup on another separate drive.  Lightroom just became confused about what drive my photos are on: it insists on labeling my primary (K) drive as "D" drive, and has added a second "D" as well with just one file on it. I suspect the problem started with a loose connection to one of the external drives. The original J, K and L drives are no longer listed. Any idea how to restore them?

• 1. Re: Drives Scrambled
          dj_paige Level 9

You need to go into your operating system and change the drive letters back to what they used to be (in other words change D to K)

Change, add, or remove a drive letter - Windows Help

• 2. Re: Drives Scrambled
            billb67218162 Level 1

I just double checked. In my Operating System (Windows 10) the drives are correctly numbered.  The problem is that in Lightroom 6 they are now incorrect. It's as if something happened for Lightroom to suddenly change the drives it displays.

• 3. Re: Drives Scrambled
              dj_paige Level 9

I would restore a recent backup of your catalog file.

• 4. Re: Drives Scrambled
                billb67218162 Level 1

Thanks.  How do I do that?

• 5. Re: Drives Scrambled
                  dj_paige Level 9

Make a copy of the recent backup of your catalog file, move it to its own folder somewhere on the same drive as your current catalog file; and then double-click on this copy of the recent backup of your catalog file.

• 6. Re: Drives Scrambled
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

billb67218162 wrote:

I just double checked. In my Operating System (Windows 10) the drives are correctly numbered.  The problem is that in Lightroom 6 they are now incorrect. It's as if something happened for Lightroom to suddenly change the drives it displays.

Windows doesn't use numbers to identify hard drives. It lists them with numbers starting with 0 (zero) in Disk Management but doesn't use those for identifying them in the operating system. It uses Drive Letters, C, D, E and so on. You need to connect all your external drive and Change the lettering of them back to what they were originally.

Change Drive Letter.png

Change the last drive to Z and so on. Then start over changing them once again back to the original drive letters. Once you do this even if they become disconnected then next time they are connected they will have the same letter. Windows assigns drive letter first come first served, first connected get the next drive letter. If drive 0 was getting the letter D and you disconnected it and then connected drive 1 that newly connected drive would then get the letter D. If you use Disk management to Assign drive 0 the D letter it will never change. Disconnect drive 0 and connect drive 1 and drive 1 will get the letter E. Reconnect drive 0 with drive 1 connected and drive 0 will get the letter D just like it did before.

You first need to change the letter then back again for it to stick.