16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2015 9:27 AM by A.T. Romano

Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14

rogerabels

I am using Premiere Elements 14.  Using the Instant Movie feature under the Quick Tab, I changed the information in the opening and closing titles, but when it produces the movie there are only empty square symbols in place of where the actual words should be.  It is as if it doesn't have the correct font and it is substituting symbols instead.  Any help?  I am using Windows 7 and the 64 bit version.

• 1. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
          Sandeep Singh Adobe Employee

Hi

There might be some missing fonts on the system.

Please download all the default fonts from this link and install them again.

http://www.withsteps.com/404/how-i-restored-my-windows-7-default-fonts.html

Please let us know if this helps or not.

Regards,

Sandeep

• 2. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
            A.T. Romano Level 7

rogerabels

What computer operating system for your Premiere Elements 14?

What specific Instant Movie are you using?

Some Instant Movie themes have known flaws that have yet to be corrected by Adobe, Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14. Example, the Outdoor Adventure one that has flashes of Media Offline displays in the finished Instant Movie.

Please give more details related to your situation, especially when you write

I changed the information in the opening and closing titles

Are you only in the Personalize Movie Opening section when you are typing in the Opening and Closing Titles. Sounds like you are. I see no Adobe built in choice at that point to control/customize the font and or its size.

Please consider and supply details so that I can explore the Instant Movie that you are using.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
              rogerabels Level 1

Thank you Sandeep.  I am wary of deleting all the fonts in my windows folder insofar that i use many fonts unique to specific programs.  I do not want to go back and reinstall all these programs because of one problem with the title font in instant movie.  As part of the staff perhaps you can get me the name of the specific font that the 'instant movie' (pan and zoom) is looking for and I could install it.  Or perhaps you can instruct me in how to edit the opening title page or menu so I can chose another font.  this seems to be a much less intrusive solution.  Could you do that for me please?

Roger Abels

• 4. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
                A.T. Romano Level 7

rogerabels

If you will settle for the details from me until Sandeep returns to your thread, please consider....

I wrote

Are you only in the Personalize Movie Opening section when you are typing in the Opening and Closing Titles. Sounds like you are. I see no Adobe built in choice at that point to control/customize the font and or its size.

Based on your report that you are using the Instant Movie Theme Pan and Zoom...

Although you cannot change font and font size of the Opening and Closing Titles in the Personalize Movie Opening section, you can after the Instant Movie is built and completed on the Timeline. To do that, you need first to break apart the Instant Movie - for 14, right click the Timeline Instant Movie, select Clip from the pop up menu, and then Break Apart Instant Movie. You find the Opening and Closing Title files in the components that make up the Instant Movie and edit them as you would any other text title...double click the text file to open it in the Titler.

Screenshot is from 13/13.1 (same as 14), but setup for the screenshot was more readily available for 13/13.1 at the time. But this was done in both 13/13.1 and 14.

IM.jpg

In Premiere Elements 13/13.1, I am finding that the Pan and Zoom theme appears to be using the font AR Berkley in both titles.

In contrast Premiere Elements 14 appears to be using the font Adobe Arabic in both titles..

Are you OK working with text titles created in the project's Titler? If not, I will supply supplemental information on that if wanted and needed.

More information tomorrow on the specifics of 14 if interested.

ATR

• 5. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
                  rogerabels Level 1

Sir,

I have checked on my system and I have both the Adobe Arabic and the AR Berkley.  I have tried both of those fonts in Microsoft Word and they are displaying correctly.

I did follow the suggestion about breaking up the instant movie and changing the fonts on the title slide and closing credits.  If I choose any other font other than the default, the words are displayed correctly.  This is an easy enough work around.  The font 'Absalom" is listed and appeared to be the default font for the slide, however it only inserted square symbols.  The same was true on the closing title.  At any rate you have resolved the issue sufficiently and I do appreciate it. 

I do have a separate issue if you are available since you both seem to be up to speed on this.  Briefly, when using pan and zoom I get a considerable 'shimmering effect' on many slides - particularly those with siding, shingles, rock mountains, etc.  The distortion only comes into play with pan and zoom (which I use frequently).  My finished products are usually discs burned with AVCHD.  If I need to submit another string that's fine, just let me know.

Thank you again.

• 6. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

roberabels

Thanks for the follow up and exploring the troubleshooting suggestion. We are pleased that it worked for you. Great job with the follow through.

As for applying pan and zoom with the project's Pan and Zoom Tool....are these jpegs and what their pixel dimensions and what is their frame aspect ratio 4:3 or 16:9 or 3:2 when imported into the project. What is the project preset of the project. Please verify with Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio.

I will answer in this thread since this all involves the same project.

I have some ideas for you to incorporate into your workflow to determine if we can improve the pan and zoom effects. The details in your reply will help me to do that.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
                      rogerabels Level 1

ATR

The pics were taken with a Nikon D5300 with quality set on "fine".  The files sizes average in the 5-7 mb size.   The pictures were taken in the Badlands and many contain jagged rocks and stone and gravel.  They are the worst quality.  Also anything with straight lines, e.g. siding, shingles, fences.

1. They are jpeg files
                      2. The aspect ratio I believe is 3x2 (6000 by 4000)
                      3. The project settings were automatic - set by the program when I dragged the first pic onto the timeline.
                        1. Editing Mode:  HD1080i
                        2. Time Base: 29.97 fps
                        3. Frame size 1920 by 1080
                        4. Pixel Aspect Ratio is 1

I have tried three different DVD burners and have the same issue on all of them.  Also, the drivers are up to date.

I think this is the information you requested.  If you need more info, let me know - though I am not a techie and it is easy to get out of my depth.  You help is appreciated.  These videos are for our family history, etc.

Perhaps I'm spoiled.  The slideshow looks amazing over WIFI with my apple TV.

Roger

• 8. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Roger

This is the plan for a mini test run with just a few of your photos 6000 x 4000 3:2. which you have been sending with the pan and zoom effect to a 16:9 destination.

1. Take the 6000 x 4000 3:2 to 1920 x 1080 16:9 using the Crop Tool of Photoshop Elements 14 or appropriate substitute.

2. Manually set your Premiere Elements 14 project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Use the following scheme for doing that

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                        • In Change Settings, set the project preset to above project preset. OK out of there.
                        • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                        • Back in the Expert workspace, import your 1920 x 1080 16:9 using Add Media/Files and Folders.

3. Do your pan and zoom. How does preview of the rendered Timeline content display in the Edit area monitor playback?

4. Export & Share/Disc/AVCHD with HD 1080 1920 x 1080 choice.

Any improvement in the AVCHD DVD with regard to pan and zoom and everything else?

The typical reason for resizing from 6000 x 4000 is related to resources. In this case, that is not my primary target. My target is in the quality of the display and the optimal conditions in the Pan and Zoom workspace. I will go into more details after we see the results.

Thanks for exploring the Premiere Elements workflow suggestions.

ATR

• 9. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
                          rogerabels Level 1

ATR

I wanted to  run several tests to verify the results so it has taken awhile to get back to you.

1. Forcing the project settings and cropping the pics to 16:9 did improve the quality for burning to DVD with the settings you gave me, though even after rendering the display was very poor.  That is not a big concern, the end result were good.
                          2. It always seems there are certain types of pics which are more susceptible to poor quality and I can try to avoid them.  Other nature pictures, for example, trees, flowers, etc. were very good.  On those pics which are more difficult I can choose to not use pan and zoom. Also, panning left to right created a poorer quality than zooming in or out, which does make sense.
                          3. It does raise at additional issue.  Most digital cameras take pics in the 3:2 ratio.  Nikon's cameras do not give an option for changing this ratio for pics - it does for videos.  Insofar that I have thousands of pics which are in the 3:2 ratio it presents a concern if all these pics have to be cropped in order to work properly.  Perhaps there is a project setting which will work better for pics with a 3:2 ratio but I did not see it.  When burning the project to disc there is a choice between 1920X1080 and 1440x1080.  Is the 1440x1080 a 3:2 ratio and does that same preset exist at a project setting.

I appreciate your professionalism in working through these issues.  Thanks.  Let me know if there are other presets which will not require extensive cropping.

• 10. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

rogerabels

Premiere Elements 14

1. The quality of the end product should be the deciding factor. To improve previewing

a. Timeline Rendering

b. Right clicking Edit area monitor, selecting Playback Quality/Highest

c. Edit Menu/Preferences/General and Timeline Rendering Quality = High quality/Slow speed.

d. Video card/graphics card driver card version up to date

2. Have you gone through the Adobe documents description of Pan and Zoom

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Pan and zoom to create video-like effect

Key is getting a 16:9 still in a 16:9 monitor space in the Pan and Zoom workspace.

3. Expert & Share/Disc/either Blu-ray or AVCHD each has choices for HD 1080 1920 x 1080 or HD 1440 x 1080.

But, both will give you a display of 1920 x 1080.

The 1440 x 1080 is 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9. That means that a 16:9 flag stretches the 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding. The project preset should be set to match the properties of your source. So, for that format 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 should be your project preset. You can see those settings File Menu/New/Project Change Settings - see descriptions there - example NTSC AVCHD HD 1080i25.

However, when you go to export that format, best to use an export setting for 1920 x 1080. That will avoid being dependent on the player recognition of the 16:9 flag to do the stretching for display.

I have found that the best project preset for a still project is

NTSC

DLSR

1080p

DLSR 1080p30@ 29.97

It has been giving the sharpest image in the end product.

Consequently, please stay with the 1920 x 1080 16:9 still import and export settings.

Please consider. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On....Have you seen this for free batch cropping resizing? IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

• 11. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
                              rogerabels Level 1

I just now (Wed 11:00 am) saw your response.  Usually there is an email notification.  I will follow up with your suggestions.  I did download the IrfanView program that you suggested.  I will experiment with it as time allows.  Thanks for going above and beyond. Is there anyone I can send a 'commendation' to?

• 12. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Roger

Just knowing that you are moving forward successfully with your Premiere Elements projects is all that I need.

I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way. I am just a frequent visitor to this forum who has a lot of Premiere Elements troubleshooting information to share.

Do not hesitate to ask if you need supplemental information on IrfanView. My favorite way for the 3:2 to 16:9 is the Crop Tool in Photoshop Elements, but that is one by one operation.

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
                                  rogerabels Level 1

ATR

In Premiere Elements 14 (Windows 7) I have right clicked on an still pics and chosen to edit in Photoshop Elements.  When I make the changes and save them in the version set, and return to premiere the original still picture is there but without the edit.  Do I have to go through all the steps of importing media for the file folder, etc?

Roger

p.s.  In the post script of your message it says that I can reply by email, but whenever I do it returns an error message.  Is this string the best way to communicate with you?

p.s.s.  My recent premiere elements projects have turned out very well.  Thanks again.

• 14. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Roger

I am not sure if this is the way, but it works....

The key for me was to remember that a specifically named file was involved in this integration...

1. In Premiere Elements 14/14.1, you right click your Timeline photo XXX and select Edit, then Edit in Adobe Photoshop Elements from the menu.

2. In Photoshop Elements 14/14.1, you do your edits in XXX

3. Then, Photoshop Elements 14/14.1 File Menu/Save As

a. If you remove the check mark next to the version set option.....Save using the specific file name XXX involved...then Photoshop Elements 14/14.1, File Menu/Exit.

b. You should be taken automatically to Premiere elements 14/14.1 to find your edited photo named XXX on the Timeline.

c. But, in this route, your original XXX is replaced with the edits on the hard drive.

d. If you work with the check mark next to version set....Save using a new file name. Then Photoshop Elements 14/14.1 File Menu/Exit.

e. When Premiere Elements opens automatically, no edits found.

f. So, right click the file's thumbnail in Project Assets, select Replace Footage, navigate to the saved file with the new name, click Open.

g. Your edits are now incorporated in Premiere Elements project.

Great news about your progress. You are doing well.

Not sure about that post script....if you get an email notification, you can open to your thread from there by clicking on View in Full Discussion. Is that where you are getting the error messages?

Please let me know how the edit in Photoshop Elements turned out. I will look at that again later in the day to see if there are any refinements to those details that I overlooked.

Best wishes

ATR

• 15. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
                                      rogerabels Level 1

ATR

Worked just as you described.  It is simple enough to not require refinement.  Thanks - again.

Roger

• 16. Re: Unable to add Text in Instant Movie in Premiere Elements 14
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Roger

Many thanks for letting us know the outcome. Glad the suggestion worked for you. You did great job with the follow through.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR