Nobody can tell you anything without proper system info or other technical details.
I'm having an engineer look at this. You are not the only one reporting it.
A few things to check:
- Can you check that your C:\Program Files\Adobe folder contains both the "Adobe After Effects CC 2015" and "Adobe Character Animator (Preview)" subfolders, and that the Adobe Character Animator (Preview)\Support Files\ subfolder contains Character Animator.exe?
- Did this just start happening or has it always been greyed out?
- Are you running AE version 13.5 or 13.5.1? (choose Help > About After Effects)
- What version of the Creative Cloud desktop application are you using? (click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the Creative Cloud application, then choose Preferences)
- If you open the Start menu, do you see an "Adobe Character Animator (Preview)" icon? If so, does launching the application that way work?
C:\Program Files\Adobe does NOT contain the "Adobe Character Animator (Preview)" subfolder.
It has always been greyed out.
I am using version 126.96.36.199
The creative cloud desktop application opens only to a dialogue stating "Installing Update" (it stays at zero percent and does not install an update).
I do not have an "Adobe Character Animator (Preview)" Icon.
I have only recently installed Adobe After Effects.
Thank you Meredith.
So it looks like Character Animator couldn't be installed for some reason. I'm assuming you have enough free hard drive space?
If you look in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\ folder, do you see a .gz file starting with a name of "Adobe Character Animator (Preview) 1.0" or "Adobe Character Animator (Preview) 1.0.2"? If so, can you send it to me via DM so that I can investigate why it might be failing?
I'm assuming you've tried these specific steps to uninstall/reinstall AE?
1. Quit AE and other Adobe apps.
2. Quit the Creative Cloud application.
3. In Programs and Features control panel, uninstall Adobe After Effects CC 2015.
4. Confirm that the C:\Program Files\Adobe\ folder does not contain the Adobe After Effects CC 2015 subfolder. (If it's still present, maybe you installed some third-party plug-ins that install in it? If so, just confirm that the Support Files subfolder does not contain AfterFX.exe.)
5. Restart the machine.
6. Relaunch the Creative Cloud application.
7. Install After Effects CC 2015.
8. Recheck that the C:\Program Files\Adobe subfolder contains the "Adobe After Effects CC 2015" subfolder, and hopefully the "Adobe Character Animator (Preview)" subfolder. If the latter subfolder still doesn't appear, please provide the .gz files from the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\ folder that correspond to the After Effects and Character Animator installs that were attempted (i.e., they should have the latest date).
I have plenty of free hard drive space
In the ...\Adobe\installers\ folder there are no .gz files.
I have quit all adobe apps.
I have quit the Creative Cloud Application.
I have Uninstalled Adobe After Effects CC 2015.
I will restart my machine now.
Update to follow.
Hmm, the .gz file name extension might be hidden by default. Do you see any files that start off with "Adobe Character Animator (Preview) 1.0" or "Adobe Character Animator (Preview) 1.0.2", or even the AE ones which should start off as "Adobe After Effects CC 2015 13.5.0" or "Adobe After Effects CC 2015 13.5.1".
You're welcome, Sean. Thanks for helping us trouble-shoot.
The Issue has been resolved.
Here's what I did.
I re-downloaded the Creative Cloud App.
I uninstalled After Effects through the Creative Cloud App.
I restarted my PC.
Relaunched Creative Cloud
Reinstalled After Effects CC 2015
Character Animator is no longer greyed out in the file menu and is select-able and open-able.
I am using Character Animator now.
Glad the reinstall worked.