7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2009 5:03 AM by Ned Murphy

Dissolve images that are being pulled via XML

adamlewen Level 1
      Hello!
      I am having hard time with a little task I have, I can really use any help!!...
      I am trying to have 3 image holders that will constantly dissolve between 2 images. (different images in each holder).
      And that I could change the images and the delay of the dissolve via XML.

I have managed to create a basic 1 holder that will dissolve images which are being pulled via XML. (through a great tutorial).

But I can't break it down to 3 holder.
      I am attaching AS + XML code for the basic thing i have made
      If anyone could direct me, I would greatly appreciate it!!!
        • 1. Re: Dissolve images that are being pulled via XML
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Can you try to explain what it is you are trying to do with these three holders and the dissolving aspect. It's not clear from your description and there isn't anything I can see in the code that suggests an attempt to 'dissolve' something.

One thing noticed... you are assigning whiIsOn two times too many.
          • 2. Re: Dissolve images that are being pulled via XML
            adamlewen Level 1
            Thanks for replying.
            I understand what you mean by assigning the while's twice too many.
            The code I have here is just pulling 3 images into 3 different holders. that's it. simple.

What I am trying to achieve is that in each holder I will have something of this like
            ( http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx2004/xml_slideshow.htm)

I am trying to somehow combine the two scripts...
            I am having hard time because I don't really code... and I need some direction of how to approach it.

again, my bottom line is having 3 dissolving holders that I can switch images via XML and control the delay...
            Where do I start?
            does the basic code i managed to create is helping me at all?

thanks again for any input

tutorial
            • 3. Re: Dissolve images that are being pulled via XML
              If you have the holders working as separate coded items, then you probably just need to figure out how to divide the images between the three of them. If each is getting two images, then how you differentiate them depends on how you either order or tag them in the xml file. In any case, to load multiple images to the same holder, you would need a loop.

If you have the holder working as a standalone piece, your best bet will probably be to start off by creating three separate holders with a separate set of code for each, and a separate xml file for each as well.

Then, once you have that working, save it and make a copy. Then you can experiment with the copy to see what you can do to combine things into shared files and functions. It's too tall an order to give you a complete solution since there are a variety of alternatives in the combining of things. But if you can start with a working version, gradually reducing it will be easier for you to visualize when you see what repeats and how it does so.
              • 4. Re: Dissolve images that are being pulled via XML
                I think I might be in the wrong forum here so can some please help me, I am new to all this but I want to learn flash, please direct me to the right forum. Mark
                • 5. Re: Dissolve images that are being pulled via XML
                  These forums are generally for helping people who have specific problems they need to have solved for them. If you want to learn Flash, you could post a new thread in the Flash General forum indicating that and you will probably get some good input as far as where you can get good learning material. There are plenty of books out there, but I avoid books as a general rule, so maybe someone who's used them can let you know if there are any good ones.

I personally don't know of any beyond offering www.lynda.com as one option for online Flash tutorials.
                  • 6. Re: Dissolve images that are being pulled via XML
                    adamlewen Level 1
                    Thanks Ned.
                    I have managed to take you advice and make it work with three holders.
                    Thank you for you help.

I do have a basic question regarding the xml. I am not sure if it's the way xml works or maybe i am doing something wrong here, but let's say the code below is the xml for images being pulled, and all I want to add is link from each image.
                    I can't get it going with different link tags on the xml, is there something I have to do on the actionscript side in order for the image to behave as a clickable link (that could be changed together with the images only via xml?)
                    like making in a button with a command to get the URL from the xml? I thought that would be the easy part... :)

Thanks for the previous help again
                    • 7. Re: Dissolve images that are being pulled via XML
                      Whichever way you go, you have to do something on both sides. Since you have different pictures that are switching out, I assume each has its own text/link that you need to switch out as well.

I don't know the details of how that image switching thing works, but I would assume each image occupies a movieclip of some sort. If that's true then you can apply button code to each and use getURL() or gotoAndPlay() calls.

If you describe how the links would look if you did added them to the xml file the way you wanted to, and how you want them to work on the Flash end, I may be able to offer more detailed help.