3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 7:51 AM by Loic.Aigon

ExtendScript toolbox status ?

Bart_Indesigner

Hi all, let me first present my work environment.

osx 10.11.1, indesign cc2015 application.

Trying to find info concerning the ExtendScript toolbox

1 - is still alive ?

2 - is it workable ?

3 - I have some (lowly) basic knowledge of scripting, modifying scripts to suit my own needs.
           I want to go beyond the apprentice mode to write and adapt scripts found on the net (with author's permissions where applicable of course). What direction should I take : Applescript, VB Basic, Java ?

much thx for any answer

Bart Van Put

antwerp, belgium

• 1. Re: ExtendScript toolbox status ?
          Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional

Hi Bart,

Here is what I could recommend.

1) Language

I would definitively pick js over VB or AppleScript.JS is cross platform so one script may run in both OS. However VB and APS may be useful once in a while but you should save them for when you really have to

2) IDE

I may count in the few liking ESTK. Well it's most that I don't have much to complain about. However to be honest, given the growing of Brackets, ESTK may not survive for long. I know there are also alternatives with Sublime Text and etc. Best thing is to try them all and see what fits you best.

Good luck in your journey.

Loic

• 2. Re: ExtendScript toolbox status ?
            Bart_Indesigner Level 1

Merci Loic !

What I am looking for (as a beginner) is an environment which maybe gives suggestions on completing expressions (so to help with a dictionary or suggested uses...

Encore grand merci.

+ : j'aime fort la page Ozalto, je suis dans la branche "agence PAO avec des bases de données"

• 3. Re: ExtendScript toolbox status ?
              Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional

Hi Bart

…an environment which maybe gives suggestions…

I think ESTK offered that a long time ago but the feature (code completion) isn't working but for JS props and methods. Otherwise Brackets does that but to be fair I don't know if it comes with the standard distribution of if it's due to addons I installed. As Brackets is free, best thing is toi give it a try.

One word though, suggestions are great but as a newbie, I am not sure how helpful that would be. I mean being offered choices is great is you have a feeling of what property or method should be called depending on the object. After years of ExtendScript i can now if not using props and methods by heart for the whole OM, I may look at a specific set of data when I have some doubt of the spelling of some props. That's where IMHO autocompletion helps as it mostly confirm your feeling

So I would really start reading the docs and force myself doing all the samples. It can seem tedious but it's a lot of pain you will save yourself later (believe me as I did rush at the beginning and had a lot to re-learn )

HTH,

Loic

PS: Thanks for your appreciation on my website. I wish i could write more blog articles and update it.