6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 2:44 AM by olivierh45670502

Exporting inDesign data to a CSV file

olivierh45670502

Hi !

I need to know if it's possible Indesign document on CSV files ?

Thank you

Olivier

• 1. Re: Exporting inDesign data to a CSV file
          Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

Document? All pages with all texts and graphics possibly linked into?

Saved as comma-delimited file?

What is your exact goal?

Jarek

• 2. Re: Exporting inDesign data to a CSV file
            olivierh45670502 Level 1

Hi Jarek,

My goal is to extract data from a multi pages catalog. This catalog was build with Indesign CC, use templates, styles, tab, text and pictures.

I try without succes untill now to extract data to build a data base in CSV...

If you have some time to spend on that, you can have a look on our catalog : http://media.pok.fr/Catalogue/new_products_2015/PDF/POK_New_Products_2015.pdf so you can see how is the layout and where datas are... and difficulties to extract and arrange all informations...

Thanks a lot

Olivier

• 3. Re: Exporting inDesign data to a CSV file
              olivierh45670502 Level 1

Re-hi...

A little amendment : I said previously I want to export in CSV, but XML file is OK too...

Regards and Thanks.

Olivier

• 4. Re: Exporting inDesign data to a CSV file
                Jump_Over Level 5

Hi,

I can see input file. Can you provide any example of output?

For example how do you expect page no 6 to be exported to your output (csv or xml or any other)?

Script can do things faster however should know what to do. It is not any magic.

Jarek

• 5. Re: Exporting inDesign data to a CSV file
                  BSKTCreation Level 2

Hi Oliver,

If you want an XML file exported from your document all you have to do is tag what you want exported via the Tags pallet then go to File/Export then choose XML as the file type (all can be done via script as Jarek mentions). InDesign will export a XML file which may or may not suit your needs. If the default InDesign XML is too messy or not suitable for what you want you can script an XML structure exactly how you want it, it's a little more work but it can be done. Personally I'd use JSON for data as I find it a much easier data structure to work with.

Brett

• 6. Re: Exporting inDesign data to a CSV file
                    olivierh45670502 Level 1

Hi,

First thanks all for your answers...

I'll try with XML tags to export my catalog but it will be a very long work as I have about 436 pages and have to tags and structure each reference. So I expect a script is a better way.

To answer to Jarek for a concrete example, for page 6, I would like to obtain a csv or XML files with these informations:

(H1) - Hand Nozzles

(H2) - Legende 400 for ele...

32701 - Our hand noz... - G 1''1/2 H... - 400 l/min - 6 bar - 264x127x257 - 2,0 - Link Image 1 - Link Image 2 - Link Image 3 - Link Image 4 - PN 16 - frome 150 to 400 l/mn - with slide valve - ... - Link icone 1 - Link icone 2 - Link icone 3 - ...

32701.Storz - Our hand noz... - Storz C/52 swivel... - 400 l/min - 6 bar -   -   - Link Image 1 - Link Image 2 - Link Image 3 - Link Image 4 - PN 16 - frome 150 to 400 l/mn - with slide valve - ... - Link icone 1 - Link icone 2 - Link icone 3 - ...

(H2) - Standard Legende 500

32542 - Our hand noz... - G 1''1/2 H... - 500 l/min - 6 bar - 264x127x257 - 2,1 - Link Image 1 - Link Image 2 - Link Image 3 - Link Image 4 - PN 16 - frome 150 to 500 l/mn - with slide valve - ... - Link icone 1 - Link icone 2 - Link icone 3 - ...

32542.Storz - Our hand noz... - Storz C/52 swivel... - 500 l/min - 6 bar -   -   - Link Image 1 - Link Image 2 - Link Image 3 - Link Image 4 - PN 16 - frome 150 to 500 l/mn - with slide valve - ... - Link icone 1 - Link icone 2 - Link icone 3 - ...

etc, etc...

It seems so complexe as informations can varies or miss with kind of product, etc.