5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 6:42 PM by Michael J. Hoffman

Lightroom no longer imports from my cameras on my I-Mac

stephenl40824831

For several years I have been happily been using Lightroom 3.? on my I-Mac.  Import raw files from two different Canon cameras, and have been successfully using a separate import preset for each.  For years I would just plug in the camera to the USB, Lightroom would launch, I pick the import preset for that camera, and off it goes properly transferring, re-naming and filing.

As you can see, it's been a while since I've upgraded Lightroom (perfectly happy with it -- sorry), but my Apple OS X has been consistently upgraded and is now El Capitain.  El Capitain would open Photo when plugged in my cameras -- so since then I have been closing photo, then going to Lightroom, Library, Import, finding my camera as a source and picking the appropriate import preset for that camera.  Not too bad ... until ... yesterday I tried that as-of-late routine and Lightroom does not recognize either of my Canon cameras as an available source to select. (still sees both my I-Mac hard drive and the external hard drive that I use for Time Machine backup).

Since the Apple software has been changing, and not my Lightroom, I tried bugging the Apple folks first.  Using the Image Capture utility for OS X we were able to stop Photo from opening with I connect my cameras.  We were also able to assign Lightroom to those cameras so that Lightroom does once again open automatically (instead of Photo) when I plug in my cameras.  We were also able to confirm that El Capitain, via Image Capture, is able to recognize those cameras (by name) as a suitable external device, see, and get the images from both of those cameras.  HOWEVER, when I plug in (either of) the cameras, and Lightroom starts up, it does not automatically see and show me the images ready for import, and in the sources panel still does not list the cameras. 

Because the Apple Image Capture software (and Photo for that matter) seem to be working perfectly fine with my cameras, Apple has pushed this back onto Adobe.

Anybody else having this problem?  Is there anything I can do to get Lightroom 3 working again?  (note that the box in preferences is still checked ... as it always was)

If one insists that the solution is a Lightroom upgrade (i.e. easy way out for Adobe that costs me money), then I am looking for assurance that it will in fact solve the problem, and that I will not have the same import issue with the latest Lightroom version (6.3?).

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

• 1. Re: Lightroom no longer imports from my cameras on my I-Mac
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi stephenl,

Have you tried to import the images using card reader?

Also, please copy the images on the computer, then try to import them in Lightroom and check.

After updating your operating system, were you able to use Lightroom to import the images from your camera?

Could you please check and confirm the version of Lightroom you are using?

Please mention the camera model you are using as well.

Regarding Lightroom 6.3, I would suggest you to download the trial version and use it to check whether it is working fine for you or not.

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: Lightroom no longer imports from my cameras on my I-Mac
            stephenl40824831 Level 1

Hi Mrinmay,

Thanks for your super-prompt reply!

Here are my responses to your questions ...

Q - Have you tried to import the images using card reader?

A - I didn't know what card reader is, but looked it up on Lightroom help.  Based on that here is my response.  I cannot use the card reader since the cameras no longer show up as an available source / device in the source panel on the left hand side of my import screen.  If there is something different / more to "using card reader" ... please do let me know.

Q - Also, please copy the images on the computer, then try to import them in Lightroom and check.

A - I used the Apple Image Capture utility to transfer some images from one of the cameras to a temporary file folder I created on the computer hard drive.  Then in Lightroom Import I pointed to that file folder as my source, selected the appropriate import preset for that camera as always -- and everything worked perfectly.  So Lightroom is still doing everything right on the import operation on a device it sees (i.e. my computer hard drive) ... except that it no longer sees the cameras.

Q - After updating your operating system, were you able to use Lightroom to import the images from your camera?

A - Short answer -- not since El Capitain.  Long answer: My OS has been updated multiple times over the past several years and I was able to still use the import function in Lightroom with my cameras until I tried just yesterday.  I don't have an exact chronology, but here's what I can put together.  Until something more than a year ago everything worked just fine.  For at least a year now, an Apple photo app has starting up when I plug in my cameras -- but I could just shut it down, open Lightroom myself, and Lightroom would then open the import screen automatically (I did and still do have checked the "show import dialog when memory card is detected" box under preferences).  Now the bad part.  Based on the oldest pictures still on my cameras, and the release date of El Capitain (September 30, 2015), yesterday was the first time I have tried to import since the El Capitain update. 

Q - Could you please check and confirm the version of Lightroom you are using?

A - Lightroom 3.6, Camera Raw 6.6

Q - Please mention the camera model you are using as well.

A - Canon EOS 60D, Canon PowerShot S95 (each has it's own import preset)

Extra A - OS X El Capitain 10.11.1

Thanks to the combination of Apple's help and your help, I do now already have a work-around.  I can use the Apple Image Capture utility to copy images from the cameras to a temporary folder, and then import them into Lightroom from there (and have Lightroom execute my import presets to do all the automated operations).  However, I still would like to know if there is a way for me to get the original functionality back and be able to once again import from my cameras directly into Lightroom (and also curious if this is a general issue being found when people upgrade to El Capitain??).

Regards.

• 3. Re: Lightroom no longer imports from my cameras on my I-Mac
              Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi stephenl,

Thank you for your reply.

Please upgrade your camera's firmware and check if this helps.

~Mrinmay

• 4. Re: Lightroom no longer imports from my cameras on my I-Mac
                stephenl40824831 Level 1

Hi Mrinmay,

Thanks for the advice to update the camera firmware.

My S95 does not have any firmware upgrades available from Canon.  My 60D had an upgrade from firmware version 1.1.0 to 1.1.1.  The upgrade description did not mention anything that would be relevant to this situation, but it never hurts to try the  latest upgrade.

In any case, the situation is still exactly the same.  The Apple Image Capture utility has no no problem recognizing either of the cameras and importing from them to my I-Mac's hard drive.  However, still neither camera appears as an option for an import source on the left pane of the Lightroom import screen. 

I do have the work-around using the Apple Image Capture utility to transfer from the cameras ... but would appreciate getting back the ability to import directly from the cameras to Lightroom. 

Any other suggestions?

Regards,

Stephen

• 5. Re: Lightroom no longer imports from my cameras on my I-Mac
                  Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

Hi Stephen,

I'd like to recommend two things to try:

1. As was mentioned above, use a card reader. You mentioned above you didn't know what it is - you can buy one at your local office supply store for just a few dollars - it is a USB device that has sockets to accept camera memory cards. Instead of plugging your camera into the computer with a USB cable, take the memory card out of the camera an plug it into the card reader (which is plugged into the computer with USB). This is generally faster than reading through the camera as well.

Here is a link to an example of a card reader. Make sure you get one that accepts the type of card used by your camera. There are a million varieties:

Amazon.com: Transcend Information USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K): TRANSCEND: Computers & Accessories

2. In Lightroom, with the camera connected, choose File > Import Photos and Video... or click the "Import..." button in the Library module. In the import dialog box, if you don't see the camera, (1) click on "Select a Source" and look in the list, and if you still don't see the camera, (2) click "Other Source..." which will open a FInder window and you can browse to any location visible by your Mac OS.

LR Source.jpg

I hope this helps!!

Mike