2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2009 7:35 AM by Jed Schneider

ASP code in Flex

XTorcha Level 1
      Hi,

I'm new to Flex. I have a website to redesign, and I'm using Flex to do so. Currently the site uses HTML and ASP to access its database. I want to add Flex components that will draw info from the database using existing ASP code.

Could anyone provide me with an example of a component that will allow me to write the ASP code into it.

There is a section in which the ASP code builda a table on the page using database info. What would be the best way to do this in Flex.

Sorry if I'm vague, I'm still finding my feet with Flex.
      Thanks,

XTorcha
        • 1. Re: ASP code in Flex
          Level 7

"doublestruck1" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gnbub4$2r6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm new to Flex. I have a website to redesign, and I'm using Flex to do
          > so.
          > Currently the site uses HTML and ASP to access its database. I want to add
          > Flex
          > components that will draw info from the database using existing ASP code.
          >
          > Could anyone provide me with an example of a component that will allow me
          > to
          > write the ASP code into it.
          >
          > There is a section in which the ASP code builda a table on the page using
          > database info. What would be the best way to do this in Flex.

If your asp page is producing valid XHTML, you can use e4x and then use it
          as a dataProvider. The problem I think you're going to face is that your
          data is unlikely to be labeled in any way you can get hold of to provide
          column headings, etc.

I've found this link helpful in the past...maybe you can use it to adapt
          your ASP:
          http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/041404-1.shtml

• 2. Re: ASP code in Flex
            Jed Schneider Level 1
            Setup a new Flex project, choose the Application server type as ASP.NET, follow the wizard to create your base application file. Then in your new Flex Applicaton go to Data-> Create application from database, and select your ASP.net database. The flex builder will let you visually interact with the database, selecting your primary key and related fields. I personally have not used this for asp, but works amazing for creating code in PHP and ColdFusion. I'm sorry this is not a complete solution answer, but it should get you started.