9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 5:10 PM by A.T. Romano

What is the Proper Aspect Ratio for 1080 HD video using 60fps in premier elements 11?

zentiger613

Ok i have been using PE11 for a while now and plan on switching over to PE14 soon.. recently i got a new camera a fuji XP80 that shoots video in 1080 HD at 60 FPS.. before using this i was just using a video feature on my tablet to take video or using an old canon which is now defunct and im not sure what either of those shot video in, however it would seem to be different.. because when i upload to Youtube im now having Aspect Ratio Problems with my still frames which i believe prior to switching my stills were saved as 1920x1080 if i remember correctly.

here is the video in case it needs to be seen: Updated Channel Trailer - YouTube

any still frame like a picture (non video content) seems to overflow beyond the borders of the Youtube Player.

Some of my text is not perfectly centered and aligned even though it was and still is in my editor..

and the PIP is off kilter.

I have traditionally saved my Videos as F4V: HD1080p

Any still pictures i usually use are in a pixel resolution of 1920x1080

Youtube gave me an upload message of something to the effect of it detecting "Irregularities in Aspect Ratio"

im not sure where to even start on that one.

From here on out anything going into PE11 or PE14 is going to be in 1080 HD 60fps or 1080 HD 30fps

am i saving in the wrong format?

• 1. Re: What is the Proper Aspect Ratio for 1080 HD video using 60fps in premier elements 11?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

zentiger613

If you have 1080p60 footage, then the frame aspect ratio is 16:9 and the pixel aspect ratio = Square Pixel (1.0). The 60 progressive frames per second should not be factoring into any frame aspect ratio or pixel aspect ration matter.

Whether you are using 1080p60 (1920 x 1080 @ 59.94/60 progressive frames per second) with Premiere Elements 11 or 14, the project preset =

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

Either you (manually) or the project (automatically) needs to be setting those settings. If the project cannot do it, then you set the project preset yourself manually according to the following scheme.

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
          • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
          • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
          • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

If you are importing 1920 x 1080 pixels 16:9 photos into a 1920 x 1080 @ 59.94/60 progressive frames per second project, you should not be having problems...all is 16:9 and should fit exactly into the Edit area monitor space established by the 1920 x 1080 in the 1080p60 project preset.

What are you doing....uploading that Timeline content to YouTube using Premiere Elements 11's built in YouTube feature or exporting your Timeline content to this F4V file and then uploading that file to YouTube at the YouTube web site? If you are creating the F4V file, have you customized it in any way under Advanced Button/Video Tab.

Have you ever looked at the AVCHD.mp4 1920 x 1080p60 file as an upload for YouTube at the YouTube web site? See Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 and then customized that to 1080p60 under the Advanced Button/Video Tab settings. But, let us look at other factors before thinking AVCHD.mp4 as replacement for the F4V file.

Bottom line: double check all your import export/uploading settings including any special settings on the YouTube side of things.

Please consider, and give more details. Any questions, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: What is the Proper Aspect Ratio for 1080 HD video using 60fps in premier elements 11?
            zentiger613 Level 1

thanks.. i went back into my editor and tried resaving it at F4V:720 and tested it out in the windows movie player and all the issues are gone.

ok after re-saving it and reading your post i think the issue may be the way i have been saving things.

A long time ago someone told me its best to save under the Adobe Flash Video/ Option

i see the following in the editor in this respective order

Adobe Flash Video:

MPEG:

AVCHD:

When i re-saved it under Adobe Flash Video:F4V-720 and replayed it on my computer the issue resolved..

Was i saving things wrong? should i be saving as MPEG or AVCHD?

I was told by someone that saving in Adobe Flash would give the best playback on YT.. so maybe they told me wrong and its an issue of how the videos are being saved.

will i lose any quality in Video using MPEG or AVCHD?

• 3. Re: What is the Proper Aspect Ratio for 1080 HD video using 60fps in premier elements 11?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

zentiger613

Typically we suggest the AVCHD.mp4 file for the upload to YouTube Tube at the YouTube web site.

Have you seen

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Consider giving it a try, using your Premiere Elements 11 Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 and customizing that to 1080p60 under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset

1080p60now.JPG

Please consider and compare, and the we can decide what next, if still necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Premiere Elements 14 has a new sharing area called Export & Share, rather than Publish+Share, and is markedly different in layout from Publish+Share that you are used to.

We can talk about the counterpart settings 11 vs 14 for this. Right now I am thinking 14 Export & Share/Devices/Custom and Custom's Advanced Settings.

• 4. Re: What is the Proper Aspect Ratio for 1080 HD video using 60fps in premier elements 11?
                zentiger613 Level 1

will AVCHD render the video the best?

what determines the quality of the video? Im just asking so i can get the best playback for the videos.. i notice on uploads to facebook there is a slight loss of quality in any video, so i would like to make sure to get the most optimal settings and so i know for when i Upgrade as well.

btw thanks for all the help.

• 5. Re: What is the Proper Aspect Ratio for 1080 HD video using 60fps in premier elements 11?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

zentiger613

The AVCHD (H.264) settings are the recommended setting as per the YouTube article on that, and they give excellent quality. The only place you get into problems if file size is an issue. Then you need to compromise between bitrate, quality, and file size. The lower you lower the bitrate the less the file size, but the quality is not as good. And, the higher the bitrate the greater the file size and quality. But, there gets to a point where increasing the bitrate does not gives any better quality. And, if the bitrate is too high to begin with, lowering the bitrate may not impair the quality.

Know the properties of your source file so that you know what values (bitrate and others) to set for the export to match those properties of the source file. Doing that and with the AVCHD.mp4 file, you will get best quality.

Do a mini test run comparison to prove this to yourself. Any questions, please ask.

ATR

• 6. Re: What is the Proper Aspect Ratio for 1080 HD video using 60fps in premier elements 11?
                    zentiger613 Level 1

so MP4-H264 1920x1080 30p would be the most optimal setting if im understanding this correctly?

• 7. Re: What is the Proper Aspect Ratio for 1080 HD video using 60fps in premier elements 11?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

zebtuger613

Source: AVCHD.mp4 1920 x 1080 @ 59.94/60 progressive frames per second

You should gain your optimal Premiere Elements 11 export setting with the Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 customized to 1920 x 1080p60 under the Advanced Button/Video tab of the preset, but...know the bitrate of the original so that you can customize the bitrate of the export to at least match.

If file size becomes a problem even after bitrate adjust in Advanced Settings, then we might have to think Windows Media export which will give a smaller file size end product.

Are you OK with the details?

ATR

• 8. Re: What is the Proper Aspect Ratio for 1080 HD video using 60fps in premier elements 11?
                        zentiger613 Level 1

i think so.. its alot to take in. Do any of the books that deal with premier elements go into this stuff in depth? i feel like i need a better understanding on all of this.

• 9. Re: What is the Proper Aspect Ratio for 1080 HD video using 60fps in premier elements 11?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

zentiger613

Thanks for the reply.

The information provided should be the what you need to get the high quality end product that you seek for what you are currently using and describing. It is quite specific in its nature and should give you an end product that you can use and use as a model if you decide to look variables along the workflow.

It is with these guidelines and in doing that you will gain whatever understanding that you think that you are lacking in this regard. I will re-write if there is an element in the concepts described that is not clear.

You have pointed to aspect ratio in your thread. There can be frame aspect ratio, such as 1920 x 1080 16:9, or 1000 x 750 4:3. There is also pixel aspect ratio which is really a correction factor for square and non square pixels. Computer uses square pixels, video uses non square pixels. It gets more complicated the deeper you go. And, I am not sure if you really want to go there.

The following is an Adobe document which deals with some of these concepts......

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Working with aspect ratios and field options

And, if you really want to go deeper into Display Aspect Ratio (DAR) = Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) x Sample Aspect Ratio (SAR) and more, then

Can someone EXPLAIN the whole "720x480" thing to me?

Under miscellaneous...

a. YouTube has a 16:9 player, so you want to be uploading to it video with 16:9 resolution....1920 x 1080.

Please consider and then let us know where you need supplemental information.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...You mentioned a F4V HD 720p export that you seem to favor. Please compare it with the AVCHD.mp4 1080p and determine which gives you the better quality. See what works for you.