5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2016 10:08 AM by horkington

Footage suddenly going blank in After Effects

itsdjego

I have a strange bug in After Effects CC 2014 where footage that had been working perfectly fine suddenly shows as black, as if AE can't read it.

This happens with footage that is dynamically linked in, but also then when I import the original source footage directly - the result is the same, black frames. Strangely it is not universal, most of the footage is fine, but a number of the files will have this problem. My compositions are quite complex, with rotoscoping, trapcode and other plugins, and C4D components so its hard to know what might be causing the problem. I also had a Lumetri look from SpeedGrade applied on an adjustment layer over the footage initially but have since removed it in case that's messing with AE but the problem remains.

The footage is all 422HQ and from the same shoot / camera / card / storage device too so there's no clear reason why it would struggle with some and not others. All footage displays fine in Premiere.

This has happened to me twice on this particular project (and on another project before this). The first time I was unable to import and view the footage again even in a new project however in this latest instance if I go back to an earlier autosave of the AE project the footage is there fine, so while I'd guess that this time it could be a corruption in the AE file, that doesn't explain how the footage was unusable in a fresh project. And yes I purged 'all memory and disk cache' and 'image cache' and cleared my Premiere cache too.

Anyone had this?

Mark.

• 1. Re: Footage suddenly going blank in After Effects
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can tell you anything without proper system info or other technical details. Given your plethora of effects and features used, it's easy to imagine that you run out of resources somewhere. have you actually considered pre-rendering some of that stuff?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Footage suddenly going blank in After Effects
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried it in AE version 13.6? (The new update for CC 2015)

If not, you might give it a try. Make sure that you don't let the CC app remove your old versions though! It defaults to doing that for some stupid reason. keeping previous versions installed when installing CC 2015 applications | After Effects region of interest

Does that black footage go back to looking right if you solo that layer?

• 3. Re: Footage suddenly going blank in After Effects
              itsdjego Level 1

I can't use CC2015 as I share the files between other devices that can't update to 2015 as they are on Mountain Lion. Also AE 2015 has an incredibly frustrating workflow with the prerender rarely playing back anything near real time on my system.

And no, Szalam nothing works to get the footage back to normal. Soloing, removing effects, starting a new composition. Very strange, it may just be unique to my footage, all of which is shot on Arri Alexa btw, just wanted to flag it in case anyone else had this issue.

And yep Mylenium I've had to pre-render my Premiere composition as a work around though this slows me down a lot when I need to change shots or even adjust them a few frames.

• 4. Re: Footage suddenly going blank in After Effects
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

itsdjego wrote:

I can't use CC2015 as I share the files between other devices that can't update to 2015 as they are on Mountain Lion.

As long as your other machines are running CC 2014, it wouldn't be an issue. AE CC 2014 can open files created in AE CC 2015 with no problem.

itsdjego wrote:

AE 2015 has an incredibly frustrating workflow with the prerender rarely playing back anything near real time on my system.

That's rather frustrating and a very understandable reason to stick with CC 2014! The new previewing architecture is still causing issues for a number of people, so you're not alone. Some folks (myself included) have seen improvements with the 13.6 update.

itsdjego wrote:

And no, Szalam nothing works to get the footage back to normal.

What about importing that project into a brand new project?

What about restarting your machine?

Are you experiencing this issue only on one machine? You mentioned other devices. Do they behave?

Are you experiencing it with any other footage on your machine?

• 5. Re: Footage suddenly going blank in After Effects
                  horkington

I am experiencing this exact same issue with QT ProResXQ footage shot with Arri Alexa Mini.  Some of the footage imports just fine, some of it just appears black.  All of the footage appears just fine in Premiere and Resolve, just After Effects won't 'see' some of the shots for some reason.  I'm losing my mind over here!