22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 9:33 AM by Bill Gehrke

Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?

Neofilm Level 1

I'm working with PC's. I'm currently running with a first generation i7 980x, a 6 core processor on a nice, but dated mother board. I was told that the second generation i7 at half the price was a much better processor for video. I nonetheless held out five years after my investment.

Recently i've been itching to upgrade and my bottle neck is in my hard drives. I've got a RAID Zero but it's only clocking Seqential Reads at 295 MB/s and Writing 304. When I run processes on one screen and work in premiere on another I see that whenever there is a hiccup during playback and what not the hard drive spikes to the max where my RAM and Processor are not.

To resolve the slack hard drive setup i have; i've been wanting to setup a RAID 0 of a few SSD's for a while. But, I've been holding out. I'm glad I did I guess because now I want to jump on the PCI.E 3.0 SSD. My current mother board is PCI.E 2.0. That's also a bottle neck in my video card (MSI GeForce GTX 680 N680GTX Twin Frozr 4 Video Card - 4GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0(x16))

So, I want a new motherboard to unleash the potential of my video card, DDR4 RAM, and this hard drive: Intel 750 Series AIC 400GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEDMW400G4X1 - Newegg.com

Does anyone have any suggestions on a particular processor and motherboard I should consider? I've been looking at this processor Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 6-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 2011 130W BX80633i74930K Desktop Processor - Newegg.com or this one I think I like better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117403

Still no clue on a particular motherboard. I assume one with several PCI.E 3.0 slots. I'll be contacting ASUS to see if they have any suggestions based on my desired hardware (what I have of it up to that point).

• 2. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the i7-5xxx cpu's are the latest, they use the lga2011 v3 x99 ddr4 motherboards. the i7-4930k uses the older motherboards with ddr3. x99 should allow for the next intel cpu release too, broadwell-e in about 6 months. the much cheaper i7-5820k when overclocked performs close to the i7-5930k, but has 28 pcie lanes vs 40. you may also want to look at the samsung 950 pro as an alternative to the intel 750. there are lots of x99 build threads here if you want to look thru em.

• 3. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
            JEShort01 Level 4

Are you using CS6 or CC 2015? What media, how many layers, and what type of effects if any do you use? (definitely mention any third party plug-ins)

Are you overclocking your 980x now?

Is 400GB really enough work space for all your files? (media, projects, scratch/cache/swap, and exports)

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but these things do make some difference regarding some recommendations. Different media and workflows tax the PC in different ways.

General recommendations that you could do now or later:

- if you have slots/ports available in your current motherboard, there is no reason to wait for a new system to add either a PCIe SSD or a 2x or 3x RAID 0 SSD array (those can be compelling solutions too still)

- Intel's 750 1.2TB is selling at Micro Center now for $649; I find this a really compelling deal for this price point - very fast, very reliable, and compatible with more systems (M.2 solutions are more bleeding edge, run hotter, and seem to be less reliable from reading user reviews)

- Not the fastest or the newest, doing 2x or 3x (or more ) RAID 0 arrays with the better SSDs (Micron, Samsung 850 Pro, Intel 730) drives is a pretty great way to go as well so long as you have enough SATA ports; here too, you could do it now... a SSD RAID 0 array would still be scorching fast compared when with your rotating drives on your older SATA ports

- If you are running CC 2015, it seems to me that Adobe has been getting more and more out of our GPUs than if you are still using CS6. So, if you're on CC 2015, you could upgrade to a GTX 970 or better and continue to use that GPU in a new/future build. BTW, I seriously doubt that your GPU is limited by PCIe 2.0, its just not that fast!

New build recommendations:

- Think Asus x99 build (Deluxe, x99-e WS, or Rampage V)

- Intel i7-5930k or i7-5960x (fast, easy to overclock 8-core)

- 32GB RAM if only use PPro (64GB if use After Effects too)

- new GPU (GTX 970, 980, or 980 Ti)

- if you do upgrade to a new x99 system (that's what I would suggest coming from a fast 6-core prev. generation CPU), then Samsung's 950 M.2 512GB drive may be the way that you want to go

- personally, I like drive speed but find 400GB, 512GB a bit limiting

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jim,

JEShort01 wrote:

- if you do upgrade to a new x99 system (that's what I would suggest coming from a fast 6-core prev. generation CPU), then Samsung's 950 M.2 512GB drive may be the way that you want to go

- personally, I like drive speed but find 400GB, 512GB a bit limiting

Regards,

Jim

How about 1TB?  This was accomplished just by using Windows spanning .  I currently have a SM951 and a 950 Pro and decided to try it and it worked I will have to check later if you are interested in which one I had in the PCIe adapter board and which one was on the motherboard.  Later this week my second 950 Pro will arrive.  I was shocked that it worked with two different protocols but it seemed perfectly usable. 

1 TB 2.6&1.5 GBsec.png

• 5. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
                Neofilm Level 1

"Are you using CS6 or CC 2015?" I'm using CC 2015 currently.

"What media, how many layers, and what type of effects if any do you use? (definitely mention any third party plug-ins)" I edit h.264 files coming from various sony cameras. Two of my cameras are 4K and two are HD and I always have them on the highest quality settings (some 24 mbps some I think up to 150 mbps). Effects would be subtle transitions, color grading, brightness/contrast, shadow/highlights, warp stabilizer, morph tool, tracking/keying, etc...

"Are you overclocking your 980x now?" I think I'm overclocking it, I set this up 5 years ago. There's a rare occasion where during boot it says "overclocking failed" or something like that, esp. when I upgraded to Windows 10. But, really, my bottleneck is in my hard drives.

Thanks for the help!

• 6. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
                  Neofilm Level 1

I don't think 400 gigs will bother me. I'm shooting for the utmost performance that I can afford to upgrade to. Then I'll have a machine I can edit on and finish projects swiftly/promptly on and then archive those projects, files/assets away from this main editing machine to keep it clean and only used for editing and temporarily storing assets as I'm using them. my projects usually don't exceed 100 gigs worth of assets. So, 200 gigs would be sufficient for my workspace. I'd of course have a different drive for the OS.

• 7. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
                    Neofilm Level 1

Seems to be a lot of people suggesting Samsung's 950 M.2 512GB. I'd love to get two and do a RAID 0 with them, I wonder if a hardware/MOBO based RAID controler would work with PCI.E 3.0 based drives...

• 8. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
                      JEShort01 Level 4

OK, with CC 2015 I do think that a newer and faster GPU would help your current build and could be re-purposed with a new build.

Same with upgrading to a faster working drive or array.

Bottom line, you could upgrade to a whole new PC, but you may find that a GPU + SSD upgrade now would give your rig new life and then those same components can be used with a future build.

Jim

• 9. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
                        Neofilm Level 1

Yeah, but, in the meantime will the SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V5P512BW - Newegg.com (or one like it) work at all through the PCI.E 2.0 slot on my current motherboard which is P6X58D-E | Motherboards | ASUS Global AND will it show any improvement over my current 500/300 sequential read/write speeds? If there's potential for significant improvement I'll just go this route for now, at least for a few months...

• 10. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
                          Neofilm Level 1

I'm curious more now than ever. Could I just buy a "PCI.E 3.0 SSD" right now and put it in my ASUS P6X58D-E Intel X58 LGA1366 Motherboard (which has PCIe 2.0) and experience some sort of improved performance over what I currently have? Then when I upgrade to a newer system I can already have the drive but at least take advantage of this option. I have an extra slot! I suppose I'm asking if it's backwards compatible.

And, is there a shorter way to say PCI.E 3.0 SSD and specifically mean PCI.E 3.0 SSD? lol

• 11. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
                            JEShort01 Level 4

Neofilm,

I certain that you cannot use the Samsung 950 Pro with your current build. I think that you can use an Intel 750 PCIe as a secondary drive (not boot drive), but I have not done this personally.

Do you have a Micro Center store close by? If so, try the Intel 750 PCIe drive and see if it works with your system. And if it does work with your system, return it.

Jim

• 12. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?

It just so happens that I have a old PC and it is a x58 motherboard, it is a P6T7 WS.  Tomorrow I will gather some data for you on it.  Of course you are aware that the performance we are talking about is PCIe 3.0 and the x58 boards were born before that existed and they are only PCIe 2.0

Your "PCIe 3.0 SSD" is not even accurate. If you want 100% certainty you have to specify how many lanes, as you only want x4 lanes or greater.  Of course you can just take the part number like Samsung 950 Pro which will guarantee PCIe 3.0 results

• 13. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
                                Neofilm Level 1

thanks! I discovered M.2 after i posted this. That's how new this new stuff is to me, i had no idea there was another form factor. I was still trying to wrap my mind around the potential with SSD through PCIe 3.0, which I haven't even considered until a couple of days ago. So, i'm very excited about the potential to take editing to another level of comfort and inspiration

It seems M.2 is the way to go over AIS form factor. Those Samsung specs sure smoke the intel. I bet some sick, awesome speeds are just around the corner as competition begins pounding the envelop.

• 14. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
                                  Neofilm Level 1

The first time I read your message I was in a rush and barely skimmed it. I didn't really know anything at that point about the options. Since then I've spent the last few hours digging around some more at motherboards, processors, etc... I had to learn and relearn some things, i only do this once every 5 years or so, so... I came to some conclusions, came back to this thread, then noticed you had a significantly longer message than i originally realized. I read through it and was like wow! I mean, you nailed what I came up with and gave me more to think about! Thanks!

I've been liking the looks of the i7 5930K. It's affordable and I don't think my system needs are going to be beyond it's potential. It has to be significantly better than my current i7 that I paid $999 for when it came out. I'm still happy with it. I just feel restrained by my current drives. So, you're right, i could just try a PCIe SSD in mine. I just wonder if I should get a 3.0 and use it dealing indifferently to the bottleneck because i'll still have improvements or if I should just get one that's 2.0. My video card is 3.0 and it's been working in my system for years.

I've found some options that may work on my current board, if I can get one to fit next to my video card. They look super thin so it should be fine although it may block my fans. So I'm wondering if I'll need to move the video card to the PCIEX16_2 slot and put the PCIe SSD in slot 1 and if that matters and will still fit... So, if I can make it work I can really beef things up keeping my current board, potentially and have the performance i need moreso in PPRO, for now anyways.

I've definitely learned more about this than I really wanted to. But, it feels good to figure out as much as possible before making a purchase, and just really take time, the more time I take the better things get for less! I am anxious though, so I'll be moving forward one way or another very soon.

• 15. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?

JEShort01 wrote:

I certain that you cannot use the Samsung 950 Pro with your current build. I think that you can use an Intel 750 PCIe as a secondary drive (not boot drive), but I have not done this personally.

Jim, I took your statement as a challenge.  Here are my results of putting a Samsung 950 Pro on one of my PCIe M.2 adapter cards and installed it in my Asus P6T7 WS Supercomputer X58 motherboard, a Win 7 X58 system.  As you might have suspected initially the card with the NVMe SSD was not detected.  I noticed that on my X99 Windows 8 system that in the devices there was an NVMe driver.

950 Devices.png

950.png

This information was not on the X58 platform so I installed the Samsung NVMe driver
                                    And bingo it worked.

Now for the PCIe 2.0 performance. Here first is the 950 Pro performance on PCIe 3.0 followed by the PCIe 2.0

950-PRO-X99-PCIe3.0-Win-8.1.png

950-PRO-X58-PCIe2.0-Win-7.png

So you do loose performance but you have to look ahead to eventually changing out that motherboard.  But all that it requires is a simple PCIe adapter card it can be

Just make sure your device shows up in your Computer Management/Devices, it may be in a recent Microsoft update.

• 16. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
                                      JEShort01 Level 4

Fantastic Bill, great stuff! And you even did this with Win7.

What card did you use for this test, and can it hold more than one 950 Pro card?

Bill or anyone - can anyone recommend a 16x PCIe cards that will hold 4 950 Pro cards? A year ago there were announcements of NVME RAID cards that would hold 4 M.2 drives but I don't see any reports of these shipping or tested yet.

Jim

• 18. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
                                        Neofilm Level 1

Thanks for sharing this! I was just about to jump on the intel 750 but I wanted the samsung 950 only I wasn't sure about using an adapter and the people at BHPhoto didn't seem to have one. This could be the trick right here!

• 19. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
                                          Neofilm Level 1

Alrighty, I've decided to keep this mother board for now. In the meantime I'm going to make the most of what I have until the dust has settle from the 6 gen CPU's and skylake. I've overclocked my CPU and that's helped. And, to resolve the issue with my RAID 0 being slow as well as my SSD's. I've went ahead and purchased the Samsung 950 Pro and a x4 m.2 adapter. I'm getting 5 times the speed I was getting with my RAID and SSD's now! And, it's a solid/consistent performance. I would be getting twice the performance enhancement but my MOBO is only PCI 2.0. Nonetheless, this is screaming fast!

M2 2015-12-08.png

I made a video about it and blogged about it here if anyone is interested in learning more about it: http://videographercharlottenc.com/samsung-950-pro/

Thanks again for your help everyone!

• 20. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?

Upgrade your Crystal Disk Mark to the current version and really see the performance

Same SSD with old CDM and 5.0.2

SM951-Motherboard CDM 3 and 5.png!

• 21. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?
                                              Neofilm Level 1

Do you have any suggestions on where to download it from. I thought I already had upgraded it within the last couple of weeks. After getting your message here I googled it and a lot of the sites looked sketchy. Some sites even had reviews saying that it had spyware in it...

• 22. Re: Hardware: Which i7 processor and motherboard do you suggest for my editing machine build?

When downloading anything, I usually try to go to the source.  Like here. Crystal Dew World.  They even have a download available without ads  And after looking at this page I find there is a newer 5.1 version now.  And in general when you install it, make sure you opt out of any optional add-on's..