19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 7:58 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding

bjgarciac Level 1

Have to start by saying that I recently upgraded my iMac to " El Capitan"... I know: bad idea. 

Anyway... Premiere was working just fine until the upgrade.  I can pen the application, open files,  insert clips, save files, but no way to preview what I;ve done, iether with the Play key or the spacebar.

What I've done so far:

- Browsed around the Adobe support page and looks like Adobe is not supporting Premiere Elements 12 under "El Capitan"

- Uninstall and reinstall the program:  nothing changed.

About my iMac

• 21.5-inch, Late 2012)
      • Processor:  2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
      • Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
      • OSX EL Capitan, Version 10.11

I must finish a video for a website in 10 days.  Customer waiting for it.

Any help will be highly appreciated!  Many thanks in advance.

B.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What do you mean "preview play key not responding"? Do you mean that your video won't play or that it won't play when you press the spacebar on your keyboard?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? Does not even a single, short video clip play?

When you add a video clip to your timeline in Expert View, do you see a yellow-orange "render" line above the clip, along the top of the timeline?

BTW, Premiere Elements 12 should run just fine on El Capitan. The core structure of the operating system hasn't changed significantly. I have no trouble running versions 10, 11, 12, 13 or 14 on my iMac with El Capitan.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding
            bjgarciac Level 1

Hello Steve.

Thanks for your quick reply

Next you will find answers to your questions.

What do you mean "preview play key not responding"?

- I mean  "video won't play  when I press the spacebar on my  keyboard or when I click  on the Play icon.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? Does not even a single, short video clip play?

Nothing at all will play. Nothing meaning:

- Any .prel existing file I've opened>  So far I tried  5 or 6 different files of different sizes that use to work just fine and I get the same every time.

- Any new project I start , inserting  .MOV or .MP4 video files, either from a Canon EOS 700d or a JVC GC0-PX100,.  resolution is  1920X1080 , but any file , even short clips won;' play.

When you add a video clip to your timeline in Expert View, do you see a yellow-orange "render" line above the clip, along the top of the timeline?

Yes, I can see the orange line.

Just in case:  after an update  I got the 12.1 version.

I look forward to hear form you again.

Regards,

B.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding

If you see this orange line along the top of your timeline then the project is not setting up properly to match your footage. This sometimes happens when you are using MOV files as your source video.

What are your Project Settings (found under the Edit menu)?

BTW, do you have your JVC camcorder set up to record as AVCHD? This is the ideal format for editing in Premiere Elements.

Try shooting an AVCHD clip and add it as the first clip on your timeline. Do you see this orange line along top of the timeline?

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding
                bjgarciac Level 1

About the orange line:  it appears now in every single file I open... Appears always, in those projects where I used MP4 video.  Old and new.

On the other hand, I am using the footage I need to edit now was recorded as .MOV which always worked well in Premiere Elements 12)

Project settings in screenshot attached:

Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 17.46.23.png

About the JVC camcorder set to AVCHD  I will keep that in mind and work on that later.  In this case I need to be able to edit first with .Mov footage I already have.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding

Please do a test shooting in AVCHD on that JVC and place one of these M2T clips on the timeline of a new project.

When you do, do you see the orange line?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding
                    bjgarciac Level 1

Just did the test.

There is no orange line along the top of the timeline but the problem persist:  video won't play  when I press the spacebar on my  keyboard or when I click  on the Play icon.

I can insert clips, transitions, save, but no playback, even after render (it used to play automatically after render.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding

I'm not sure what the problem is, bj.

There is a compatibility fix for El Capitan that might be worth trying.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2021148?q=fix%20el%20capita

Everything in the program seems to be working just as it should.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

bigarciac

I am strictly an Elements Windows user. But, I would offer the following based on possible common ground between Premiere Elements Windows - Mac. In the end this may be an El Capitan flaw, but...

1. Have you looked at the video card/graphics card that your computer is using - latest driver version? If latest driver version, have you tried to roll back the driver version?

2. If you put only a bunch of jpegs on the Timeline of a new project, does the space bar or Play button of the Edit area monitor work to start Play? Or, does your "nothing will play" include jpegs?

3. Have you deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (settings file)? Possibly found in Mac Users\Owner\Libraries\Application Support\Adobe\Premiere Elements\your version number?

4. Are you running the program as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges)?

For your consideration.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding
                          bjgarciac Level 1

Thanks, but the thread you suggested is for Photoshop Elements, not Premiere.

What  if I upgrade to Premiere Elements 14?  Is there a chance that this problem will persist if I do?

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding

Have you tried installing this fix into the Premiere Elements directory?

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding
                              bjgarciac Level 1

Just tried.

I found there is no folder for plugins in the Premiere Elements directory, while there is one in Photoshop directory  (screen shots) .  Where should I copy the plugin?Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 16.29.16.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-02 at 16.31.16.png

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding
                                bjgarciac Level 1

Many thanks for the tips.

1. Have you looked at the video card/graphics card that your computer is using - latest driver version? If latest driver version, have you tried to roll back the driver version?

I do have the latest version.. When it comes to Mac, you get the latest drivers version fro the video card when you update the OS, which I did recently with El Capitan.

2. If you put only a bunch of jpegs on the Timeline of a new project, does the space bar or Play button of the Edit area monitor work to start Play? Or, does your "nothing will play" include jpegs?

I  just tried with just 3 small jpegs... Same story.

3. Have you deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (settings file)? Possibly found in Mac Users\Owner\Libraries\Application Support\Adobe\Premiere Elements\your version number?

No, I haven't.  Look...

Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 16.47.52.png

4. Are you running the program as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges)?

Yes.  I'm nnruning it as administrator.. I am the amidistrator for everything and no one else is using this program

I really appreciate your help and I understand you are doing what you can, but I have a deadline with this.

I asked before : What  if I upgrade to Premiere Elements 14?  Is there a chance that this problem will persist if I do?.. What do you think?

Thanks

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

bigarciac

Thanks for considering the suggestions. Is rolling back the video card/graphics card driver version a consideration? You need not take the time to reply.

Downloading and installing the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 14 Mac and determining if it works for you is a viable troubleshooting tool in this instance. Win win in that, if 14 works, then you point to 12 as the problem; if 14 does not work, then you point to the computer. Since you are in a time crunch, this should be a quick way to go. The 14 tryout will come with an Adobe watermark which can be removed from the tryout project file when you open the tryout project file in the purchased 14 (after Timeline Menu/Delete Rendered Files).

But, you are now engaged in another troubleshooting suggestion from a Mac user involving the plugin folder. Do not let my comments distract from pursuing that to a conclusion one way or the other.

We will be watching for further developments.

Best wishes

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding
                                    bjgarciac Level 1

Thanks.

Regarding the driver of the video card:  it's something I read from an apple support forum... Looking further I also found a thread where they recommend to download and install the latest driver from Nvidia.  I just did.. Didn't work.

The other troubleshooting suggestion from the Mac user is taking me nowhere.

I would  be open to try something else, for the last time, before moving to Elements 14.  It is ridiculous and absurd to spend more money in something that couldn't be fixed , but trying with other editing software  means I have to start by learning and I don't have time for that.

Any other suggestions?

Thnks.

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

bigarciac

With NVIDIA card...are there any user adjusts on the card's controls? Worth a talk with NVIDIA?

I think it is worth the time to see if 14 tryout will work for you. In the long run, I think it would save time narrowing down the troubleshooting opportunities that exist and which is the best for you.

End of the line troubleshooting has also included creating a different user account with administrative privileges and installing and trying to run Premiere Elements there. It has worked for several in the Windows situation, not sure if it will work for you. Did deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file have any effect?

I am not sure if you would be getting yourself into a worse situation if you tried to roll back the Mac operating system.

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding

The plugins for the Elements programs are located in Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/Elements 14

Sorry this is taking a bit of tweaking. I'd try the plug-in myself to see if it works -- but since I'm having no problems with Premiere Elements or Photoshop Elements 14 on El Capitan, I'd never know if it was working.

Thanks for experimenting.

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding
                                          bjgarciac Level 1

I tried too many things so far and nothing worked.  My knoledge of IT stuff is limited.

I just Installed the trial version version of Elements 14 and it worked well.

If I buy the update.. should I assume that it will work just as good? 

I mean:  is there any difference between between downloading the trial version and upgrading?.

Thnks

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding
                                            bjgarciac Level 1

The plugin din;t work... And, for the record.,. I have Elements 12, not 14.

Thnks.

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Preview Play key not responding
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

bigarciac

The tryout is full featured. So, if the tryout worked, then the purchased version should also. Assuming that you are going to purchase from Adobe as the download, just

1. Go to Adobe Sales and purchase the product to get the purchased serial number.

2. Go back to your installed tryout and just insert your purchased serial number in that...no new download and install required.

And, you should have 14 days from the date of purchase for a return/refund if the Play problem reappears or other problems develop.

Return, cancel, or exchange an Adobe order

The why for 12's Play issue is disturbing.

ATR