7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 8:06 AM by thisisJules75

Maximizing LR Performance With Multiple SSDs

thisisJules75 Level 1

I run LR 6.3 on a Windows 10 PC.  I'm lucky with the specification of my PC as I have a 6 core i7 CPU, 32 GB RAM, two SSDs and a RAID 1 set of spinning disks.

I'm looking to add another SSD to my system and I'm interested to know how I can maximize the use of these SSDs for use in Lightroom.  Unfortunately, the SSDs are of different specification.

The current drive layout is as follows:

C: Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256GB - OS, and LR program files, and catalog

D:  RAID 1 SATA 6bps 3 TB spinning disks - data (images / photos)

e:  Samsung SSD 840 230 GB - Camera Raw cache (currently set to 40GB)

I'm going to add a Samsung 256GB M.2 950 Pro PCIe SSD.  So this will give me one very high performance SSD, one high performance SSD and one good performance SSD.  So where should I place the LR program files, catalog and raw cache?  Which of those are the most disk intensive? 

I will also leverage one of the SSDs to store the images I'm actively working on.  These would be eventually moved (using LR) to the spinning disks when I'm no longer working on them.

TIA

• 1. Re: Maximizing LR Performance With Multiple SSDs
          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi thisisJules,

Greetings!!!

I don't think so that there is any need for you to move Lightroom on new SSD.

It is currently on a god SSD that is more than sufficient for Lightroom.

Regards

Jitendra

• 2. Re: Maximizing LR Performance With Multiple SSDs
            thisisJules75 Level 1

Hey, thanks for posting back.  So you don't think there is much performance gain in separating out LR components to different SSDs?

• 3. Re: Maximizing LR Performance With Multiple SSDs
              khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

No doubt the better SSD the faster it is still on a very good SSD.

So I don't feel that you should change that only for Lightroom.

• 4. Re: Maximizing LR Performance With Multiple SSDs
                dj_paige Level 9

The places where disk speed can improve performance are in the initial loading of the software, and catalog operations such as scrolling.

Other operations in Lightroom, such as editing, searching, rendering previews, exporting, etc. are only trivially affected by disk speed. So setting up three SSDs for Lightroom won't affect performance in a lot of areas. And so with respect to your title "Maximizing LR Performance with Multiple SSDs", I don't think SSDs will achieve any performance maximization; at best they improve/maximize portions of Lightroom performance.

So, what action in Lightroom show poor performance that you actually trying to improve?

With respect to this:

I will also leverage one of the SSDs to store the images I'm actively working on.  These would be eventually moved (using LR) to the spinning disks when I'm no longer working on them.

I consider this a total waste of time. You will never notice the difference in speed when you are actively working on these photos, but you will have to take the time to move the photos when you're no longer working on them.

Will an SSD Improve Adobe Lightroom Performance? | Computer Darkroom

• 5. Re: Maximizing LR Performance With Multiple SSDs
                  thisisJules75 Level 1

I'm not necessarily buying a 3rd SSD for Lightroom but I was interested to see if splitting out certain components or files to individual SSDs would have any benefit.  It appears that this might not have any real improvement.

In general I find Lightroom performance poor but this seems to be a general issue that many people seem to suffer from with version 6.  Specifically for me the pain areas are simple activities like selecting multiple images in grid view where the selection process suffers from increasing lag the more images I select.  In Develop module, zooming to 100% can be slow even with newly imported images that already have previews built.  Given the system resources available to me, I would expect LR to be a lot more "snappy".  But as I say, that's not my primary reason for a 3rd SSD.

And thanks for the feedback on the idea of storing active images on an SSD.

• 6. Re: Maximizing LR Performance With Multiple SSDs
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think adding a third SSD is going to make any difference. Something else must be slowing down your computer. Have you tried turning off GPU acceleration in your Lightroom preferences to see if that makes a difference?

• 7. Re: Maximizing LR Performance With Multiple SSDs
                      thisisJules75 Level 1

Yeah, I have GPU acceleration turned off.  One of the first things I did and it made a big difference to performance.  Previous to that LR was almost unusable.