12 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 11:23 AM by fletche284

A fix for El Capitan?

Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Many users of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements have reported issues since updating their Mac OSX to El Capitan.

While Apple works out a permanent solution, a compatibility patch has been created that may help. You can find it on this page along with instructions for installing it.

El Capitan/Yosemite Compatibility Patch | Mac OS 10.11

For the Elements programs, add the fix to Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/Elements 14

This is not an official fix, however a number of users have found it works for them.

Please share your results.

• 1. Re: A fix for El Capitan?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

How does this all relate to Premiere Elements (any version)?

The Adobe document points to "product affected as Photoshop CC (2015)"

Is this fix applicable at all for Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements (any version)?

In either case, is the fix Elements version specific?

Please give more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: A fix for El Capitan?

It's a fix which addresses compatibility issues with El Capitan. I didn't create it so that's all I know.

Why not try it instead of just slamming it outright?

• 3. Re: A fix for El Capitan?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

My post requested more details on the information that you opted create a thread for.

To remind you, I wrote

How does this all relate to Premiere Elements (any version)?

The Adobe document points to "product affected as Photoshop CC (2015)"

Is this fix applicable at all for Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements (any version)?

In either case, is the fix Elements version specific?

Please give more details.

Thank you.

I see no commentary (slamming or other) in that relating to the questions what I asked of you as originator of the thread. And, the questions that I asked are logical questions for those having Premiere Elements Mac (El Capitan) problems.

Thank you for your answer which included

It's a fix which addresses compatibility issues with El Capitan. I didn't create it so that's all I know.

ATR

• 4. Re: A fix for El Capitan?
                michaelk90458286 Level 1

After installing El Capitan, my Elements 11 for Mac did not stay open. I bought Elements 14 on disk and have uninstalled Version 11.

Version 14 will not load on the Mac.

No problem on Windows 10 running on a Virtual PC on the Mac desktop, but a bit awkward every time I need to quickly edit a photograph.

No problems with my other 150 apps.

Clearly there is an issue that Adobe and Apple need to sort out.

It will have been several months since El Capitan was formerly released and months before that where the beta version was available to view.

Do you think this is an acceptable time lapse for people to have to wait for such a leading program to be made to work?

Regards.

• 5. Re: A fix for El Capitan?

Why do you think Adobe, rather than Apple, needs to sort this out, Michael? The program worked fine on Yosemite.

• 6. Re: A fix for El Capitan?
                    michaelk90458286 Level 1

Hi Steve,

As I do not know exactly how the problem has occurred, it is difficult to lay the blame in any particular corner.

What concerns me more is that such a prominent and well used program is left in the doldrums until a fix is found.

I don't know how complicated that fix will be. It would appear to be connected with the way Adobe need to link an Adobe signature through El Capitan.

Windows 10 was a breeze. Started to load up within a few seconds.

Regards,

Michael

• 7. Re: A fix for El Capitan?
                      R.H.L. Level 1

Actually, it didn't work fine on Yosemite.  I've documented elsewhere (search for my posts) several bugs in PSE 13 on a 5K iMac running OS X Yosemite.  The major bug (you can't run the editor when the organizer is running) has been reported for over 10 months.  It has been acknowledged by Adobe but there has been no update or fix of any kind from either Adobe or Apple.  I'm certainly not going to assume that OS X El Capitan resolves the issue, given the show-stopping bugs that seem to have been introduced by El Capitan.

I love using PSE and have been a loyal customer for over a decade.  Because they have ignored my clearly documented major bugs, and because of what I read here about major problems with their product on El Capitan that they have not responded to in any meaningful way, I'm wondering if I can rely on Adobe to produce an acceptable product.  I already know that I can't rely on them to support it at all.  That's not acceptable and we should all say so in forums like this (because there is no other way to tell Adobe of our frustration).

• 8. Re: A fix for El Capitan?

I really wish I could reproduce your bugs on my El Capitan, RHL. I'd love to troubleshoot this thing myself. But, for better or worse, Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements have worked just fine right out of the box on my last several generations of OSX.

If you can help me recreate the problem(s) on my computer, I'll be glad to do some research.

• 9. Re: A fix for El Capitan?
                          R.H.L. Level 1

Thanks for your interest in helping.

What are you running OS X on?  Based on what I've read here, most (maybe all) of my problems appear to be confined to the 5K iMac.  The small number of posts from Adobe employees here seem to indicate a lot of finger-pointing between Adobe and Apple: Adobe says it's a problem with OS X on 5K iMacs; Apple says it's Adobe's coding.  As a user, what I really care about is that neither of them has acknowledged a problem and provided a work-around or schedule for fixing.  And all this is complicated further by the fact that PSE doesn't work properly on El Capitan.

Because Adobe now requires us to log into our Adobe account when we run PSE they should be able to know what hardware and OS we are using.  Further, they have no actual customer support mechanism that lets us contact them.  (I don't count the goodwill of other users here as support from Adobe.)  So why can't they communicate with us when we open PSE and say "Don't upgrade to El Capitan" or "We've fixed it you can upgrade to El Capitan" or "We know about your problems with 5K iMac and are working on it"?

• 10. Re: A fix for El Capitan?

That could well be the case, RHL. Mine's a plain vanilla iMac from a couple of years ago.

• 11. Re: A fix for El Capitan?
                              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Further, they have no actual customer support mechanism that lets us contact them.

Hi R.H.L.,

That is not true, see this document: What are my contact options?

You have the chat option to contact Adobe for support if you are a Premiere Elements user.

Adobe forums are not really the best place to get support from Adobe, as this is primarily a user to user forum. Sorry if you were expecting otherwise. If I'm misunderstanding your needs, please let me know by sending me a PM. I'll see what I can do for you.

As for OS X 10.11 support and Premiere Elements, I do not believe it is officially supported since it is not yet in the system requirements. I'll see what I can do to get some more info in the mean time on future support.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 12. Re: A fix for El Capitan?
                                fletche284 Level 1

I just make dvd's on premiere 11 using a MacBook Pro 3years old and been afraid to do the upgrade for fear of it not working as not very computer savvy just know what is needed for me to use the programme. Is the problem only on 5K iMac as just read on this forum and my worries unfounded.