14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 1:00 PM by juliane56279142

Trying to Preview whole movie but failing

juliane56279142

Hi there

Last year when I first started using After Effects CC I was able to RAM Preview the whole sequence I was working on. But since Adobe got rid of RAM Preview and just changed it to Preview I only can get 8 seconds at most.

Usually I work on sequences that are around 5 - 30 seconds in length. For me it is especially useful to be able to preview the whole sequence to check it through. I don't want to have to create a low res movie just to be able to do that.

Is there something I am missing? Is there a settings somewhere that is holding me up?

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Trying to Preview whole movie but failing
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can tell you anything without proper system info or other technical details like comp settings, preview resolution and a million otehr things.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Trying to Preview whole movie but failing
            juliane56279142 Level 1

OK, here goes:

Apple iMac 5K Retina

OS El Capitan Version 10,11,1

3,2 GHz Intel Core i5

8GB RAM

Graphics card AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB

Comp settings is for a 4K clip at 3840 x 2160

Preview resolution was set at half.

What else do you need to know?

• 3. Re: Trying to Preview whole movie but failing
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The length of your preview depends on the available ram and the comp size and the preview resolution. I would suggest that you set the zoom factor in the composition panel to 50% and the composition panel resolution to auto. If you need the preview to run longer then set the Preview panel to skip 1 frame and make sure the resolution there is also on Auto.

You are working with a compositing and motion graphics program not a NLE. Until the rework of the preview system is complete the length of a render is going to be controlled by the amount of available ram. If you have to see your shot at full resolution and at full frame rate you'll have to render to a delivery format that your system will support like an h.264 MP4.

Personally I seldom of ever run a full length preview of a shot that is over about 4 or 5 seconds. My usual workflow is to do a "pencil test" of any animation first before effects or other things are added to the comp that will slow things down. I then start adding effects and things like motion blur, lights, shadows, and making tweaks to critical frames in the shot. I will carefully check a few frames at full resolution then send the shot to the AME for rendering and move on to the next shot. I try not to waste any time waiting for renders or previews because just as in the days when I was shooting film and had to wait for it to get back from the lab, I know what I'm going to get and that vision is accurate 98% of the time without a full length full resolution preview of the whole shot. It just takes practice to get to that point.

• 4. Re: Trying to Preview whole movie but failing
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try using CC 2014 again and see how it works.

You can have both versions installed with no problems. Heck, I have CS5, CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 all installed on my home studio machine.

http://blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/2015/06/16/how-to-find-and-install-previous-version-of-ad obe-apps-in-cc-2015/

• 5. Re: Trying to Preview whole movie but failing
                  Jaysb77 Level 1

If you update to the new AE 13.6 it now has the option to cache the whole sequence before playback just like RAM Preview did. I'm so glad they added this feature back along with other great additions to the preview system. The preview in AE 13.5 was horrible the preview in 13.6 is way better

Hope this helps

• 6. Re: Trying to Preview whole movie but failing
                    juliane56279142 Level 1

I'm on 13,5,1,48

My CC doesn't show any updates to After Effects. Do I have to go to the main site to get it? That's what I did only on Saturday which is how I have the version I mentioned.

Edit: just been to the main Adobe site and it is still showing 13.5 as the current version. Is 13.6 beta only?

• 7. Re: Trying to Preview whole movie but failing

juliane56279142 wrote:

I'm on 13,5,1,48

My CC doesn't show any updates to After Effects. Do I have to go to the main site to get it? That's what I did only on Saturday which is how I have the version I mentioned.

Edit: just been to the main Adobe site and it is still showing 13.5 as the current version. Is 13.6 beta only?

It is not in beta anymore. If your Creative Cloud app is up to date, there should be an option under the gear button to "Check for App Updates". From previous updates, I've noticed that it can sometimes take a while for updates to make it all the way around the world.

• 8. Re: Trying to Preview whole movie but failing
                        juliane56279142 Level 1

OK. I refreshed the Check for Apps update and got the new version. But I'm still in the position whereby it's not playing the whole sequence.

What I have is a 16 second time lapse made up of 384 individual images. I like to be able to go through the whole sequence so that I can see if there are any issues such as birds flying through that I need to clone out.

Cache before Playback is ticked

Range is Entire Duration

Play from Start of Range

Resolution is on Auto

What am I missing? This is very frustrating. Why on earth did they change this?

• 9. Re: Trying to Preview whole movie but failing
                          Jaysb77 Level 1

Glad you got the new version. Are you able to preview the whole sequence in AE 2014, if so have you tried the following

- purge all your memory and disk cache

- enable disk caching in your preferences set it to a pretty high size

Let me know if any of these suggestions works

Hope this helps

Thanks

Jason

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Trying to Preview whole movie but failing
                            juliane56279142 Level 1

Jason, thank you!!!

It worked and I now feel that I can get on with my, backload, of work. All I have to do now is muster the patience to go through each of my sequences and get rid of those damn birds

• 11. Re: Trying to Preview whole movie but failing
                              Jaysb77 Level 1

Awesome! Glad to hear your issue has been solved.

Thanks,

Jason

• 12. Re: Trying to Preview whole movie but failing
                                juliane56279142 Level 1

I'm glad you came on as well as some of the other people too who helped!

Very grateful to all who offered a solution

• 13. Re: Trying to Preview whole movie but failing

juliane56279142 wrote:

t worked and I now feel that I can get on with my, backload, of work.

I'm glad the update (and Jason's advice) fixed it. The Adobe AE team specifically said that they've made previews take up about half the space they used to. Turns out it was exactly what you needed!

juliane56279142 wrote:

This is very frustrating. Why on earth did they change this?

I can try to explain this. The old architecture in AE sucked. I mean, it worked, but it was old. Multiprocessing was buggy and often wouldn't work. AE's previewing and rendering were starting to feel very slow and old. The AE team decided to lay off of introducing a lot of new features and put the majority of their team towards building a new architecture for AE that would make use of modern hardware. The main goal is to make things faster.

AE CC 2015 marks the first step towards that goal. You may have noticed that you can poke around at things in the interface and it responds without having to wait for the composition window to render. This is because the UI and the renderer are running on different processor threads. In theory, this means a smoother experience working with AE and it sets the stage for a much improved renderer. Unfortunately, that's not here yet. CC 2015 is kind of like a preview of some of the new stuff to come, but not even halfway to finished.

Thus, some frustration in the present as they start building the new system, but hope for the future!

A lot of people were having issues with CC 2015. The 13.6 update has made it useable for me and a lot of other folks. For my workflow, I really like it. Some people are still having issues though. That's why I (and the Adobe After Effects team) recommend that folks keep CC 2014 handy.

• 14. Re: Trying to Preview whole movie but failing
                                    juliane56279142 Level 1

Thanks for the info Szalam! It's strange as I use Lightroom and AE. When I first came across AE a couple of years ago LR seemed quite quick and AE very slow. Now it's gone the other way round! It had all been working fine for until they did this new preview system.

BUT, everything looks like it's on the way to be a very cool product. I haven't used in about a month now as I've been trying to take it easy. So when I came back to it the last couple of days with these issues it frustrated me.

Thankfully people have been kind enough to help resolve things and for that I am grateful. It means the work I have to do can be done and be sent off to my image library where it will hopefully make some cash for me