6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 8:35 AM by BlueCosmo5050

Export to Tiff to Photoshop or PSD? Is a tiff file editable after the fact?

BlueCosmo5050 Level 1

I understand the advantages of Tiff to a degree. I know it's like a raw file with no compression. My question is, if I already saved it in Photoshop and it goes back to Lightroom, if I then open it back up in Photoshop, aren't the settings already baked in like a Jpeg? Or is there a way around this? I take it that PSD doesn't bake it in?

I read where some people save a flattened version and a version with their stacks with tiffs. Please expand on this.

I like using Lightroom as an organizer, but I do most of my work in Photoshop and Aurora HDR. A lot of times I'll even use the Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop, but nothing beats Lightroom for organizing. But I want it to be non destructive. Are PSD's non destructive? Meaning I can open them over and over again and undo edits, etc?

• 1. Re: Export to Tiff to Photoshop or PSD? Is a tiff file editable after the fact?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First of all, you need to understand that Photoshop by itself cannot edit raw images. That's why the Camera Raw plug-in is needed. Once an image has been opened in Photoshop it has to be saved in a different format. In Lightroom you have choices of PSD or TIF. In either format, any Photoshop adjustments that you have made are "baked in" to the image. The only time you are working with raw image data is when you are working in Lightroom or Camera Raw. So it's important to do is much work as you can in the raw image. Once the image has been open in Photoshop it is no longer raw image data. But saving as either a PSD or TIF will provide much greater flexibility than a JPEG will provide. Either the PSD or the TIF image can be edited after-the-fact, and multiple saves on the image will not cause any degradation. It's just that with either format you lose the ability to reset the image back to its original state. Technically speaking I don't think it really matters whether you use PSD or TIF. Personally, I prefer the TIF format because it is more universally compatible.

When I choose to edit an image in Photoshop, when the TIF image is returned to Lightroom I stack it with the original raw image ensuring that the TIF image is on top. Any subsequent editing that I choose to do in Lightroom is done on the TIF image. If I go back to the raw image to do further adjustments and go through the Photoshop processing again, then I will have multiple TIF images stacked.

• 2. Re: Export to Tiff to Photoshop or PSD? Is a tiff file editable after the fact?
            BlueCosmo5050 Level 1

Okay, so I understand what you're saying about, it's baked in and I can't return it to it's original state as a TIFF. But, before I save it in Photoshop, doing Edit/Undo's over and over again, that doesn't affect the image right? It's only when I'm done and save it that it bakes it all in?

But if I did want to take it back to normal, could I simply "duplicate layer," in photoshop and just not edit the original background layer? When I hit save, it will still save it where I can open the layers back up in Tiff right?

So I could save one like that,  and one as flattened correct?

• 3. Re: Export to Tiff to Photoshop or PSD? Is a tiff file editable after the fact?

You can save layered TIF images, and it will display fine in Lightroom. You just won't have access to the layers in Lightroom. And I question whether you will see any difference between a layered and a flattened tiff image.

• 4. Re: Export to Tiff to Photoshop or PSD? Is a tiff file editable after the fact?
                BlueCosmo5050 Level 1

I'm not trying to see a difference. I'm trying to figure out if I save a layered version, I can then delete certain layers, and if I do everything on layers, and I was to delete all of the layers, I would be back to the original file. Flatten for final file. I do not think that Lightroom has layers.

• 5. Re: Export to Tiff to Photoshop or PSD? Is a tiff file editable after the fact?

You are correct, Lightroom does not have layers nor will it display layers created using Photoshop. If you save a layered TIF or PSD image using Photoshop you will be able to see it displayed in Lightroom. But in order to have access to those layers again you'll have to choose Edit in Photoshop and open the image in Photoshop again to continue your work. In my workflow, I would make sure I have done all the work I want to do in Photoshop before I do anything else with that TIF image in Lightroom.

• 6. Re: Export to Tiff to Photoshop or PSD? Is a tiff file editable after the fact?
                    BlueCosmo5050 Level 1

Well, I'm not really looking to do much with the image in Lightroom. I mostly just want to organize with it. I will use it to edit the Raw files but that's about it. The main reason I have switched is because although I have an extremely fast Mac, if I get in there and do too many spot healing brush's and different adjustments it starts lagging big time. In Photoshop, not  under the camera raw filter, but the regular tools, I can do thousands of them and it never slows down at all. I'm not sure if that's because it uses my hard drive as a scratch drive or what. This has led me to start going to Photoshop to do anything with the brush's or spot removal.

I am using Aurora HDR for that and I'm going out of Lightroom into that, which I also go .Tiff uncompressed. It has layers in it so I don't have to bring it into photoshop like I used to.