3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 3:04 PM by johnrellis

why is lightroom ruining the preview of images?

ninjapimp Level 1

please look at image to get a better idea of issue.

2015-12-01_10-11-20.jpg

so there is alot of pixelation while in library mode. if i switch to Developer module the issue goes away. my thinking is when in 64bit mdoe it works but since the library module is 32bit it is unable to render the preview properly, this seems to happen to night time images, where there is a lot of darkness. I do a lot of Fire dancer photography and ever since 6.3 update this is extremely common.

I use a sony a7rm2, compressed images.

I have purged my preview file, deleted my preferences, disabled graphics card in preferences. tried various things but i am unable to rid myself of this issue.

anyone else get this problem?

how to fix this issue?

it has happen in previous builds and seems to always have been an issue for me but in 6.3 is really bad.

in past builds i noticed clicking on image, moving in and out of it to anoher image would fix it. like it fixes itself but in 6.3 i am unable to get rid of it unless i go into Dev mode.

• 1. Re: why is lightroom ruining the preview of images?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

The two most common reasons for big discrepancies between Library and Develop are 1) the use of the graphics processor and 2) an incompatible display profile.  You've already disabled the graphics processor, so try troubleshooting the display profile: How do I change my monitor profile to check whether it’s corrupted?. (Make sure the graphics processor is disabled when you do this.)   The artifacts in your sample images don't strongly suggest an incompatible profile, but it's easy to check and you should rule it out.

• 2. Re: why is lightroom ruining the preview of images?
            ninjapimp Level 1

thanks for that tip, so i tried that monitor calibration but did not help, same problem persists.

as far as i can tell this only happens in lightroom.

when i use other imaging apps i never see this issue

for exam ple, capture one pro, no problem, lyn, works fine, adobe photoshop also fine.

I've had this problem since lightroom 4 i think and since then i've had different computers, so i'm pretty sure its not my hardware at this point I blame it on poor software coding. it has to be software.

at the school where I work at, I see exact same issue also, a bunch of imacs 21 inch and in LIB mode i see the odd pixelation in dark areas of the image. the more black in image the more prevalent it is.

I've seen this happen in windows and mac computers.

perhaps there is no solution until adobe fixes it along with the many other bugs i come across.

• 3. Re: why is lightroom ruining the preview of images?
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

It's very curious -- I haven't seen anyone else with these particular symptoms over the past many years, so it's likely not striking very many people (which could make it harder to troubleshoot).  If you upload a sample pic with the problem to Dropbox (or similar) and post the link here, then others can see if the problem occurs on their configurations, and then we can file a bug report if necessary.