11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2015 5:36 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 14 freezes with GPU enabled H.264 encoding on Windows 10

bajorgy

Hi,

My computer freezes after a few minutes when I start a video encoding with H.264 in HD (1080p) resolution with enabled GPU acceleration. I am using Windows 10 and the video was recorded with 1080p. When I do the export with a different resolution or switch off the GPU acceleration it works without any issue. I am using the latest Intel driver and there is no additional video card in the system.

Have any of you experienced the same?

Regards,

Gyula

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 14 freezes with GPU enabled H.264 encoding on Windows 10
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gyula

What specific Intel HD Graphics video card/graphics card are you using?

If it is specifically Intel HD Graphics 2000 or newer and its preference is enabled in preferences, Adobe writes that you should be getting Hardware Acceleration for rendering, playback, and export. If your card is named just Intel HD Graphics, you have the perk of Hardware Acceleration. Premiere Elements (any version) does not support CUDA.

If you do not have  Intel HD Graphics 2000 or newer, then no check mark next to its preferences in Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

Please give more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 14 freezes with GPU enabled H.264 encoding on Windows 10
            bajorgy Level 1

Hi ATR,

I'm using an Intel i7 4770s CPU that means HD Graphics 4600. So, I believe the GPU acceleration shall work without a problem. As the result is such a deep freeze that only the reset button can solve (even the mouse is not responding) I suppose it is rather about the Intel's driver, but you might have some other hints.

I think it is not a hardwer error as all the other encodings work fine and even H.264 is without any problem when not using 1080p as the output.

Thanks a lot,
            Gyula

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 14 freezes with GPU enabled H.264 encoding on Windows 10
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gyula

Thanks for the update and additional troubleshooting information.

What are the properties of what you have on the project's Timeline?

And, what is the specific Export & Share/ route that you are using for this H.264 1080p export?

a. are you setting for H.264.mov or H.264.mp4 or other?

b. are you using Export & Share/Devices/Computer or Custom for the export preset?

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 14 freezes with GPU enabled H.264 encoding on Windows 10
                bajorgy Level 1

Hi ATR,

Actually, I am not sure what you mean with project's Timeline. The editing mode is DSLR with 25 frames/sec. Size is 1920x1080.

With the MOV output I got error Incompatible video codec type in Preset. With MP4 and M2T format the system stops responding after a while. So, the problem seems to be independent from the format.

Usually I use the Export & Share/Devices/Computer path for the export, but I checked it with the Custom option and the freeze also comes there.

Do you have any hint how to solve it, besides switching off the GPU acceleration?

Thanks a lot,
                Gyula

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 14 freezes with GPU enabled H.264 encoding on Windows 10
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Guula

You wrote

With the MOV output I got error Incompatible video codec type in Preset. With MP4 and M2T format the system stops responding after a while. So, the problem seems to be independent from the format.

Do you have QuickTime 7.7.6 installed for Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit? That is a must do.

QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

Apple has a problem with its latest version of QuickTime 7 (7.7.8) on Windows 10. Until that problem is resolved, the suggestion is to use QuickTime 7.7.6 to meet the Premiere Elements QuickTime 7 requirement. Although QuickTime 7.7.6 is not the latest version, it is working to meet the Premiere Elements QuickTime 7 requirement. The other must do is to be running the programs as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges) and to include selection and application of Run As Administrator to the desktop icon for Premiere Elements.

If disabling the "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and newer)" in preferences consistently gets rid of the problems, that seem to be pointing convincingly to your video card. Without going into the details of the card, I am not sure why it would not be eligible for the Hardware Acceleration perk associated with what Adobe describes the requirement, that is, Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher.

You may have more than 1 factor involved.

Please consider the above, and then we can determine how it all comes or does not come together.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 14 freezes with GPU enabled H.264 encoding on Windows 10
                    bajorgy Level 1

Hi ATR,

After I've installed the recommended QuickTime version the encoding to MOV was done without any problem. Unfortunatelly, the MP4 format still crashes the computer.

Are you aware of any MP4 codec that I shall download to try to solve the issue?

Thanks a lot,
                    Gyula

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 14 freezes with GPU enabled H.264 encoding on Windows 10
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gyula

Thanks for the update and the good news about the .mov exports.

The .mp4 file extension can have a variety of codecs that it wraps. What is the video and audio compression of your .mp4 file? Is the audio Dolby Digital Stereo or 5.1 channel or AAC or other? What is the duration of these .mp4 files? My first impression is that you are working with .mp4 files with the video compression H.264 or AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264). Were any of these .mp4 recorded with a device that uses a variable frame rate instead of a constant one?

If this is a codec problem, perhaps the free codec utility named GSpot will give us that type of information.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

What is the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video?

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 14 freezes with GPU enabled H.264 encoding on Windows 10
                        bajorgy Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I really appreciate it.

Anyhow, I am getting tired from this problem. I've checked the codecs with the tool that you proposed and it listed the same as on my notebook where everything works fine (but on Windows 8.1). So, most probably I will simply switch of the GPU based rendering.

Just answering your question the videos are recorded with Canon 5D MkII in constant rate of 25fps. The one that I am rendering is roughly 1 hour which is cut from 6 videos. I am really tending towards a hardware error as when I disabled the turbo boost and reduced the memory of the GPU the crash turned into a blue screen of death with a restart instead of the freeze. I rather doubt if the issue is related to Premiere Elements.

Regards,
                        Gyula

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 14 freezes with GPU enabled H.264 encoding on Windows 10
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gyula

Thanks for the update. At this point, I am agreeing with you on going with what has worked for you, that is, switching off what you are referring to as GPU Acceleration.

Please confirm that here you are specifically referring to disabling the "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 or newer)" preference found in Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

Thank you for the follow ups and exploring the comments.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 14 freezes with GPU enabled H.264 encoding on Windows 10
                            bajorgy Level 1

Hi ATR,

Yes, I can confirm that I am referring to "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 or newer)" preference found in Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

What is more important it seems I've the reason of the crash. The CPU is on an Asus motherboard and I had the AI Suite 3 utility running which dynamicaly adjusts CPU/DRAM voltage and speed. After I'd switched it off the crash vanished. It is strange that I faced the instability only with GPU based H.264 encoding, but at least finaly the solution is available.

Thanks a lot for your hints and ideas and I am quite happy to have Premiere Elements working rock solid.

Regards,

Gyula

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 14 freezes with GPU enabled H.264 encoding on Windows 10
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gyula

Great work of troubleshooting to identify the core of the issue and correct it.

Thanks for sharing your results and conclusions with all. Appreciated.

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements products.

ATR