4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 6:48 AM by jdubb59

Getting back to Acrobat 10.0

jdubb59

I had/have Acrobat Pro 10.0. Since I took the supposed upgrade to Reader DC, everything opens in Reader. I tried setting my default as Acrobat Pro 10.0, but that just opens all .pdf files in MS Edge. It just seems pretty stupid that a free download should override something that I paid for. I tried to find a way to uninstall Reader DC, but that seems nearly impossible. And now you want me to pay $14.99/month to do something I already paid for?

• 1. Re: Getting back to Acrobat 10.0
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Adobe don't support mixing Reader and Acrobat from different versions. So Reader 10 with Pro 10 would be OK, or Reader DC and Pro DC.

Can't you start Pro and use File > Open in the usual way?

You should be able to uninstall Reader. What exactly happens when you try?

• 2. Re: Getting back to Acrobat 10.0
            jdubb59 Level 1

Right the different versions aren't compatible. However, from what I can see, Pro DC is only available as a monthly charge. Since I've already paid for Pro 10.0, I don't see a reason to have to pay again over and over for something I have been using for a couple years. I'd love to get back to Reader X or XI or whatever I had, but all the threads that I have seen make it sound like it's nearly impossible to get rid of DC. I have a workaround to edit .pdf files in Pro, but it would be nice if I could open them in Pro as the default like I have been doing since I bought Pro.

• 3. Re: Getting back to Acrobat 10.0
              Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Some people seem to have problems uninstalling Reader DC, but mostly it just uninstalls in the usual way. Have you tried? What happened? (After uninstalling Reader DC, a Repair of Acrobat X may be needed).

• 4. Re: Getting back to Acrobat 10.0
                jdubb59 Level 1

Sorry, I usually do quite a bit of research before I mess with things. Everything I could find led me to believe that it was hard to uninstall Reader DC. I searched everything in the folder and program for something that referred to an uninstall and found nothing. Thank you for jogging my memory and leading me to the Control Panel for uninstalling programs. It worked without a problem. Pdf files now open in Acrobat Pro. Thanks again.