5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 12:29 PM by A.T. Romano

My old Adobe Premiere V4 file creates black bars in V10. How to fix??

I opened up an old Adobe Premiere Element version 4 file and proceeded to update it using version 10. But now I come to upload the file to the internet, I have a problem. Black bars occur on the viewing panel and these transfer to any export I make.

Something is different about the setup of a version 4 file. I have checked all the video aspect features, but they all seem to be the same. I can get the problem to disappear by creating a new version 10 file and adding the media there, but I have about 100 hours of edits made in the old file!

I can't copy and paste the edits from v4 into a new Premium 10 file as my computer won't let me open two adobe Element files at the same time.

Is there anybody who can save my skin. I am suppose to publish the video this week!

Any help would be much appreciated.

KK

• 1. Re: My old Adobe Premiere V4 file creates black bars in V10. How to fix??
          A.T. Romano Level 7

KK

The first thing that we need to know in detail are the project settings of the Premiere Elements 4 project that you are trying to open in Premiere Elements 10.

See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode/Timebase/Frame Size/Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they look grayed out).

Is Premiere Elements 4 still installed on a computer that is workable?

Are you confirming that you are doing the above or are you working with a movie export from Premiere Elements 4 and importing that movie into Premiere Elements 10 with its Get Media/Files and Folders?

Remember, there is no guarantee that a Premiere Elements 4 project file can be opened in a later version Premiere Elements. And, do you still have 4's Timeline source media connected to the 4 project file? All the goings on on the same computer?

You cannot simply copy paste between Premiere Elements projects. If Windows, with other Premiere Elements versions involved, maybe using ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements.

What computer operating system is involved?

Please explain.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: My old Adobe Premiere V4 file creates black bars in V10. How to fix??
            13983698 Level 1

Thanks ATR. I didn't have v4 loaded on my computer anymore, just version 10. So I was opening the old file with v10 which created the problem. I managed to work around the issue by sharing the file to my computer in a HQ flash format (with black bars), then creating a new Premiere adobe file (v10), adding the flash file, enlarging it to the full size of the viewing panel (thus removing the black bars), and then re-downloading it to YouTube with no noticeable loss of quality. That's the last time I make that mistake! Thanks for the time taken! 

• 3. Re: My old Adobe Premiere V4 file creates black bars in V10. How to fix??
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Thanks for the update and great news that you found a workaround to get your Premiere Elements 4 project file opened in Premiere Elements 10 and eventually uploaded to YouTube without black borders.

You did well in even opening the Premiere Elements 4 project file in Premiere Elements 10. It still is not clear what project settings started this chain of events. You seem satisfied with your results and are moving forward. But, if you ever need to review the past settings to avoid them in the future, we can go over them as your time permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: My old Adobe Premiere V4 file creates black bars in V10. How to fix??
                13983698 Level 1

One other thing ATR. Do you know how to create a transition slide that moves the current slide down (rather than to the side). I'm using version 10. Edit transition doesn't seem to help here.

Much appreciated.

• 5. Re: My old Adobe Premiere V4 file creates black bars in V10. How to fix??
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

I will think about how to achieve that transition effect you describe, but have you tried in Premiere Elements 10....

Edit Header

Transitions

Video Transitions

Wipes

Wedge Wipe

with Alignment = Center at Cut

ATR