6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2016 4:29 PM by Tim Kurkoski

Apply Color LUT with Speedgrade Look causes video to vanish

Shutterlab Level 1

I'm attempting to apply a LUT created in Speedgrade to footage inside After Effects. When I use "Apply Color LUT" the layer is no longer visible and RAM preview ceases to function (play head doesn't progress).

Both After Effects and Speedgrade are updated to the latest versions. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be done to fix this? Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Apply Color LUT with Speedgrade Look causes video to vanish
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Does the problem go away if you remove the Apply Color LUT effect?

Do you have the same problem if you choose a different LUT or LOOK file?

Could you send me the LUT so I could try it here?

Although this could be a bug in After Effects, it could be also be a bad LUT file. (I can ask my Speedgrade friends about it.)

What exact versions of After Effects and Speedgrade are you using? Look in the About boxes.

And what OS are you using? Windows or Mac OS, and version number, please.

• 2. Re: Apply Color LUT with Speedgrade Look causes video to vanish
            Shutterlab Level 1

AE 13.6.0.165
            Speedgrade 2015.1 Build 9.1x89

Windows 10 Pro latest updates

The problem is with all LUTs. Here's a link to two of them:

Dropbox - Speedgrade LUTs

The Problem does go away if I remove the effect. It's worth noting it causes renders to fail in dynamic linked compositions in Premiere as well.

• 3. Re: Apply Color LUT with Speedgrade Look causes video to vanish

Got the files. Thanks!

I can reproduce this problem with your files. I will file a bug. I observe the following

• When the Apply Color LUT effect is applied to a layer in the comp and assigned to one of the provided .look files, the comp renders only black when the CTI is over that layer.
              • Scrubbing the CTI over that layer flashes between black and the layer content.
              • Previews do not start if the CTI is over that layer, or previews will stop when the PTI reaches the first frame of that layer.

This problem also occurs in After Effects CC 2105 (13.5). I observe similar but slightly different problems in After Effects CC 2014 (13.2).

I don't have this problem with other .look and .cube LUT files that I have on my machine, so we'll have to figure out what makes these files special.

Can you tell me more about the origin of these .look files? Any settings you used to create them that may be relevant. I regret that my skills with Speedgrade are very poor, so any help you can give me (and that I can pass by our Speedgrade geniuses) would be useful.

• 4. Re: Apply Color LUT with Speedgrade Look causes video to vanish
                Shutterlab Level 1

There isn't anything special about the setting really. I linked from a Premiere project to Speedgrade and then saved the looksto bring into AE from there. Some with multiple of secondary corrections. I don't think this should play a role in the troubleshooting though. Should I post to the Speedgrade forum as well?

• 5. Re: Apply Color LUT with Speedgrade Look causes video to vanish

Shutterlab wrote:

Should I post to the Speedgrade forum as well?

It would be worthwhile, someone there may have some ideas to try. Please cross-link this thread over there, so I can follow along. Thanks.

• 6. Re: Apply Color LUT with Speedgrade Look causes video to vanish

An update on this bug:

One of our developers spent some time looking at this recently. He's traced the problematic code and has requested a fix. (The problem lies in an Adobe component for color management that is shared across applications, ACE.)

Until a fix is provided, you can work around the problem by using the Lumetri Color effect in After Effects CC 2015 (13.6), instead of Apply Color LUT. Effects > Utility > Lumetri Color. In the Lumetri Color effect, open the Creative settings and change Look to Browse, then choose the .look file.