16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 6:19 PM by John Waller

How to purchase Lightroom 6 upgrade ? [was : LR 5]

jordanw29687655 Level 1

I purchased Lightroom 5 (upgrade) awhile back by accident, thinking it was the fifth one.. I have been trying to find it so I can use the upgraded version. I have never purchased any Lightroom software before, I just downloaded the 30 day trial. And I don't wanna spend $142.99 on Lightroom 6. Is there any way I can still use Lightroom 5 upgrade without purchasing another one? And if I can't, do you guys know a cheap place to purchase it? Please help! Thank you!!

• 1. Re: LR 5
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi jordanw,

You could upgrade to Lightroom 6 with $79

To Buy Lighroom 6  Go to

https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_softwar e_sl_mostpopular.html

• From  Photoshop Lightroom Select Upgrade from "I want to buy"
          • Select the version you own currently
          • Select Platform and language
          • Click Add to cart

Capture1.PNG

Download link for Lightroom 6:-Download Photoshop Lightroom

Let us know if that helps

~Akash

• 2. Re: LR 5
            jordanw29687655 Level 1

This isn't working for me! Thank you though!

• 3. Re: LR 5
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you purchased a Lightroom 5 upgrade, and you have never had a previous version of Lightroom installed, you won't be able to install the upgrade version. To install an upgrade you must have a serial number from a previous version. Everyone has to pay the price for the first purchase. After that, upgrades can be purchased for $79 US.

• 4. Re: LR 5
                jordanw29687655 Level 1

JimHess

How can I tell if I'm purchasing Lightroom 5? I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally purchase the upgrade again.

• 5. Re: LR 5
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

jordanw29687655 wrote:

I purchased Lightroom 5 (upgrade) awhile back by accident, thinking it was the fifth one.. I have been trying to find it so I can use the upgraded version. I have never purchased any Lightroom software before, I just downloaded the 30 day trial. And I don't wanna spend $142.99 on Lightroom 6. Is there any way I can still use Lightroom 5 upgrade without purchasing another one? And if I can't, do you guys know a cheap place to purchase it? Please help! Thank you!!

Sorry some of your original post doesn't make any sense. At least to me it doesn't.

You purchased LR 5 by accident "Thinking it was the FIFTH ONE" (LR is the Fifth version of LR. It started with version 1. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 that's Five Versions of LR). Then you go on to say "I've been trying to "Find It" so I can use the upgrade version". Find What to use what upgrade version?

If you can't find the serial number for the LR 5 upgrade you already purchase then you will need to buy the Full version of LR 6 for 140+ dollars.

If you can find the serial number for the LR 5 upgrade you already purchased even If you had never purchased any version of LR before you can purchase the LR 6 upgrade version now, Install that and when you go to enter the serial number for LR 6 you will also need to enter the serial number from the LR 5 upgrade version you bought. That will make LR 6 a Fully License copy.

You do NOT have to buy the Full version of LR 6, Just the Upgrade version for another $79.

There is no other way.

• 6. Re: LR 5
                    jordanw29687655 Level 1

Yeah I just realized that... I was meaning I bought the upgrade and didn't realize it was an upgrade. I am new to LR so I didn't know that I had to have a previous version of LR before using my upgrade. Does that make any sense?

I really apologize for being so confusing!! This has just been very frustrating for me and I'm trying to figure out how to go about it if I can

• 7. Re: How to purchase Lightroom 6 upgrade ? [was : LR 5]

Yes a little.

Did you purchase LR 5 or LR 6 upgrade? I'm confused as to which actual version your purchased A While Ago.

If you purchased LR 5 as an Upgrade and have the serial number for it you can now purchase LR 6 As an Upgrade and use the Upgrade LR 5 serial number as a Qualifying Previous version to fully license LR 6. But there is no way for you to use the LR 5 upgrade because you don't have a serial number from a previous version.

Go to this link.

Products

Click the BUY button/link, when that new page opens on the right where it says Full click the little downward facing triangle and select Upgrade. the price will change from $149 to $79. Add it to your cart then Check Out.

You will need to create an Adobe ID, Email Address and password, and possibly enter Credit Card info.

• 8. Re: How to purchase Lightroom 6 upgrade ? [was : LR 5]
                        jordanw29687655 Level 1

The version I purchased was LR 5 upgrade. I really do appreciate your help!! Thank you so much!!

• 9. Re: How to purchase Lightroom 6 upgrade ? [was : LR 5]

jordanw29687655 wrote:

Yeah I just realized that... I was meaning I bought the upgrade and didn't realize it was an upgrade. I am new to LR so I didn't know that I had to have a previous version of LR before using my upgrade. Does that make any sense?

I really apologize for being so confusing!! This has just been very frustrating for me and I'm trying to figure out how to go about it if I can

Again, if you purchased an upgrade version of Lightroom 5 and you don't have a serial number for an older version then you won't be able to use that upgrade version. You wasted the money purchasing it. The best thing for you to do is to follow the link that you were given and go ahead and purchase Lightroom 6. That is the current version being made available from Adobe. Adobe does not sell previous versions. But you won't save any money by purchasing a previous version because it would have to be at full price. So you might as well just go ahead and purchase Lightroom 6 from the link provided. Don't worry about trying to purchase an upgrade because apparently you don't have a previous version to upgrade from. It's unfortunate that you purchased the upgrade version of Lightroom 5. I guess that's one of those lessons learned.

• 10. Re: How to purchase Lightroom 6 upgrade ? [was : LR 5]
                            jordanw29687655 Level 1

Yes! It is most definitely a lesson learned! I really do appreciate your

help though!

• 11. Re: How to purchase Lightroom 6 upgrade ? [was : LR 5]

Jim she does now have a previous version, LR 5, she can use to now buy the upgrade of LR 6.

It doesn't matter if any LR version was ever installed or properly licensed to use the LR 5 serial number as the Qualifying Previous version for an Upgrade version of LR 6.

In the end she is spending about the same money, LR 5 upgrade $79 + LR 6 upgrade $79 for a total of $158. As apposed to the $149 she would of spent if she had purchased the full version of LR 5.

• 12. Re: How to purchase Lightroom 6 upgrade ? [was : LR 5]

I'm not sure, but I think you are wrong. If all the user has is the serial number for an upgrade version, I don't think it can be used to upgrade to the next version.

• 13. Re: How to purchase Lightroom 6 upgrade ? [was : LR 5]

Well it has worked for me from version 1 on up. I normally uninstall the previous version before installing the newer upgrade version. When installed and started for the first time I'm asks "Do you want to Try, Buy or do you have a serial number (or something to that affect). I select enter serial number. I enter the new serial then is says "This is an Upgrade serial number, enter a serial from a previous version" with a second set of serial number boxes . So I enter one of the other serials from one of the other Older Upgrade versions. In fact when I install LR 5 I couldn't find my LR 4 upgrade serial number so I enter the one from the upgrade copy of LR 3. It took it and I never looked back.

• 14. Re: How to purchase Lightroom 6 upgrade ? [was : LR 5]

Okay, you win. What do I know? Good luck to the OP. In your case, you had several previous serial numbers. In this case the only serial number they have right now is one upgrade serial number for Lightroom 5. I still suspect, but this is your discussion.

• 15. Re: How to purchase Lightroom 6 upgrade ? [was : LR 5]

Well it not about winning. What is some to do if they started with LR 1 and upgraded to all the newer versions. They would have to at some point, new computer or fresh install on a new hard drive, use an older Upgrade serial number to register and properly license a newer version upgrade.

In fact if you purchased LR 1 and never upgraded to any of the newer versions you could still use the V1 serial number as a qualifying previous version to install and license LR 6.

Lightroom is the only program I know of that ANY Previous version serial number works as a qualifying previous version. Unlike Photoshop where if you skipped several versions you would have to buy the Full version again instead of an upgrade version. That was when they actually sold PS.

• 16. Re: How to purchase Lightroom 6 upgrade ? [was : LR 5]
                                        John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In fact if you purchased LR 1 and never upgraded to any of the newer versions you could still use the V1 serial number as a qualifying previous version to install and license LR 6.

Agreed. I've done something similar in the past. Works fine with Lightroom.

Lightroom is the only program I know of that ANY Previous version serial number works as a qualifying previous version.

Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements are others that I know of where the latest version accepts any previous version serial number.